Thread: Would Narnia have been a hit for Genesis?

Would Narnia have been a hit for Genesis?

Random thought popped into my head last night. Hackett left Genesis because they wouldn't do much of the music he was writing. Narnia was on Hackett's second album so no doubt it was something he had in mind around the time he left Genesis (I believe he recorded Voyage while still with the band). Imagine that Genesis had acquiesced and been willing to let Hackett contribute a couple of songs per release. Maybe one would have been Narnia. In St. Louis, Narnia got some airplay although Hackett-era Genesis rarely ever did. I'd guess Narnia's airplay-ability was helped out with Steve Walsh singing it. At this point in time, Genesis will have just made it to mainstream radios with Follow You Follow Me. So simple question, do you think with Phil singing it, Narnia would have been a hit for Genesis?

Interesting thought, but I doubt it would have been a "hit" for anyone. By 1978, Genesis probably wouldn't have been into this sound, at least not as a single. It might've fit it pretty well on Trick or Spot The Pigeon, however. In fact, it's always struck me as similar in spirit/style to the title track from Trick if the Tail.

Banned
    I think it would been good hit,If Gabriel sung it vs Phil thats my opinion course.
    Now narnia conceptual themed Genesis record,With Gabriel at helm I could totally dig that.
    Lion Witch and Wardrobe themed with darkness theme involved course,Make it more Alice in wonderland scare children record lol.
    I had to go there,Nursery cryme style to above sentence.

Genesis had wisely (IMO) distanced themselves from fantasy literature (ala The Little Prince) by time of The Lamb, although Tony (I think) brought some back when he could until the early 80s! I think a band on the brink of major success wouldn't pin their hopes on a CS Lewis tie-in during the late 70s music climate, IMO of course! But it's fun to speculate!

Y'know, on second thought... Hackett (obviously), Banks and Rutherford based some of their best solo works* of the latest 70s on other writers' fiction, so maybe??

* yes, Banks claims to have undone the literary connection to A Curious Feeling (my favorite of his albums), but it was at least connected during the start of the songwriting.

If I had a list of Hackett songs that would have worked as Genesis songs, considering what direction Genesis was going to, they would be:

How Can I
    Every Day
    Time to Get Out
    The Toast
    The Show (probably would have been tweaked by one of the others)
    Hope I Don't Wake
    Give It Away
    Cell 151 (which isn't a surprise since I read it was inspired by "Abacab")
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)