Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm the new guy. Whomever would like to say hi can.

I'm the new guy. Whomever would like to say hi can.

Hi All I'm Shawn from Holiday Florida. I thought i'd introduce myself. I'm a long time fan of the band Yes. They were the first band to catch my ear when I was around 8 years old and my uncle played a 90125 laser disc concert for me. From that moment on I was hooked on Yes and music in general. I am now 30 years old and for me Yes is still my favorite band. This speaks volumes in that the many bands i've come across over the years. However surprisingly I haven't ventured into many other progressive rock groups otherwise since then. I've checked out some King Crimson, and Emerson Lake and Palmer, Renaissance, Weather Report, Genesis. But I'm discovering a lot more underground bands on here that i had not known about like Guapo, The Flower Kings, etc... Not sure if you guys have heard of the two bands I'm about to mention which are kind of Allman Brothers style prog, the bands are Plankton and Kamchatka. I'm also a huge metal fan and came into metal through Metallica, but over the years have gotten into the most extreme forms of metal in the death metal and grindcore metal genres as well as Doom, Black, and Power metal. My favorite death metal band is Morbid Angel. I play guitar and make music that is soundscape like that could possibly used in documentaries I'm hoping someday, or to form a band with. I have some of my music on my soundcloud page if anybody wants to check it out, here is the link https://soundcloud.com/songmanwriterhand1. I look forward to getting to know all of you, it will be nice to talk to other like minded music listeners. I also love classical music like Sergei Prokofiev and Igor Stravinsky and Beethoven. Anyways look forward to talking to everybody.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Welcome aboard. There's lots of info around, and the Yes threads go on longer than anything else.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Welcome, and hello from Miami.

Thanks guys! I felt a strong void of prog lovers in my life. But now that I have all of you. I will be a polygamist prog fan with many lovers. Wait that sounded weird... but you know what? Who cares? I love you all already.

Miami!!! yes! Awesome! I've wanted to go to the culture club down there for a concert. I hear there metal scene is huge there. I'm near Tampa, so we have a pretty good thing going here too.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Welcome aboard. There's lots of info around, and the Yes threads go on longer than anything else.

Thanks my friend! I'm aboard a great mighty ship of eclectic wonders. Truly this will.... be an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dworkin View Post
    Miami!!! yes! Awesome! I've wanted to go to the culture club down there for a concert. I hear there metal scene is huge there. I'm near Tampa, so we have a pretty good thing going here too.
    You mean The Culture Room . It's in Ft. Lauderdale. I've been to concerts there a few times. I saw Kings X, The Dregs, and Robin Trower there years ago. Haven't gone there in years. There's another club called Revolution Live, or something. I've only been there once. I saw Gov't Mule there years ago. Kinda small and overcrowded. The place in Miami that has a long history of live music (a huge metal scene too) is Churchill's. It's supposed to be the "CBGB" of Miami. Never been there because I don't like the neighborhood (Little Haiti), but I should at least go one day. I blew off on opportunity to go there to see my friend's band, Katabatik. They're like this extreme, sorta Viking metal band. I like heavy metal but the extreme, growling stuff is a bit much for my old ears.

The Culture Room that's it! My bad on getting the name wrong. That's so awesome that you saw The Dregs! I have 2 of their albums. They are amazing. Steve Morse backed with fiddle and all that sounds so cool. I've heard of Revolution Live once from someone. Churchill's I do hear a lot about too. I used to be afraid to go to Ybor because I heard things bad about shootings outside of clubs and all kind of other stuff, but I have been there now quite a few times and nobody has bothered me. Sometimes you just got to take the plunge and hope all goes well. I'll check out KAatabatik, not a huge viking metal fan but I don't think it's bad either. Yeah extreme metal is really not for everybody. I built up through the years from like traditional metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.. then into more thrash like Sepulture, Exodus, Kreator, Annihilator, then to black metal, and finally to death metal. It was a slow progression. I don't think many people go straight into death metal. But for some it is just too harsh. Nothing wrong with that though and I understand it. But I do believe a lot of good instrumental aspects of those bands are missed out on when that is the case. I have visited near Ft. Lauderdale once, it was in Pompano Beach. Saw cops going after somebody at the mall with their guns drawn lol.

Welcome!
    Check out ----> Servicing Stop <----

Welcome. The Yes threads around here are epic, to coin a phrase. While much of the talk here is about the more "major" progressive rock acts, there are plenty of conversations about some of the lesser-known acts, as well. Should be plenty for you to discuss and discover. And hopefully you'll start some threads of your own.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Shawn !
    Welcome ! I think you will find all kinds of Yes fans here for all kinds of discussions .
    And the other 'prog' is unlimited !

(P.S. - I live in Hudson, just north of you. Just noticed your post! )

Welcome Shawn - hopefully you can shed some light on some of the metal genres for some of us her for whom metal is an unknown or unexplored world. As many have said there are lots of Yes fans here - we often find ourselves arguing with our fellow Yes fans more than with others who are not fans. Interesting that your point of entry was 90125 - which is about halfway through their career - so I have a couple of questions - did you go forward or backward in your search for more Yes music - and which period did you ultimately decide was your favourite. My point of entry into Yesland was Relayer and I tend to compare everything to that - and it remains my favourite Yes album. Which is your favourite Yes album.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Welcome Shawn - hopefully you can shed some light on some of the metal genres for some of us her for whom metal is an unknown or unexplored world. As many have said there are lots of Yes fans here - we often find ourselves arguing with our fellow Yes fans more than with others who are not fans. Interesting that your point of entry was 90125 - which is about halfway through their career - so I have a couple of questions - did you go forward or backward in your search for more Yes music - and which period did you ultimately decide was your favourite. My point of entry into Yesland was Relayer and I tend to compare everything to that - and it remains my favourite Yes album. Which is your favourite Yes album.
    Hey Jake! I can absolutely shed some light with some metal bands that I recommend. Off the bat I highly recommend the band Morbid Angel. For me they mix great songwriting, progressive elements and sheer brutal power. I started going backward from 90125 with songs like Starship Trooper and Long Distance Run around really impressing me a lot. Steve Howe's solo in Starship Trooper completely blew my mind as well as his playing on Gates Of Delirium. I swear on gates Steve does this like rhythmic solo thing that is almost like a hip hop break down thing lol. So in that alone he was evolutionary. Here it is at the 5 minute and 25 second mark. Okay so maybe not hip hop but like I think maybe an influence on Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine in the way it plays it. Relayer is without doubt my favorite album by them with Going For The One coming in second. I mean it's so hard to pick a favorite because then as I was writing Going For The One as my second I'm thinking wait a minute what about Close To The Edge and rethinking that decision (laughs). The organ at the beginning of Parallels is so epic sounding. And then Awaken is like going on a journey to another world. But Relayer for sure as my number 1. I've heard people say a lot of bad things about Topographic Oceans but I love that album. All I know is when my uncle put on that 90125 laser disc live concert I was mesmerized and instantly took to Yes. Oh one more metal band to mention is Rhapsody Of Fire, that band is incredibly talented and even in one of their songs I remember them giving a tip of the hat to King Crimson putting a part in that sounded like them but in a tasteful tribute way.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Shawn !
    Welcome ! I think you will find all kinds of Yes fans here for all kinds of discussions .
    And the other 'prog' is unlimited !

(P.S. - I live in Hudson, just north of you. Just noticed your post! )

Hey Tom! thank you very much. And Yes everybody on here has been super friendly and fun to talk to. That's awesome that you are so close to me! I have a band almost formed and we are going to be playing a grand opening gig for a bike shop in January. I will let you know the details as things start to roll out. The owners of the bike shop overheard us playing at the Uhaul storage unit and the owner literally jumped the fence to come talk to us and ask us if we wanted to play his grand opening! I can describe our sound as progressive in a sense but not overly technical (hard rock). Would be awesome if you could come out and I could meet you. I play Rhythm guitar for the band. The band is called Minions Of The Wind. This will be our first show, but we really feel we have something special and I think it will shock some people in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Welcome. The Yes threads around here are epic, to coin a phrase. While much of the talk here is about the more "major" progressive rock acts, there are plenty of conversations about some of the lesser-known acts, as well. Should be plenty for you to discuss and discover. And hopefully you'll start some threads of your own.
    Loving it already and i really like The Flower Kings and Gazpacho that I've found out about on here. I went to the record store and bought a cd by both of them right after. I hadn't really had time to read the threads for awhile because I was busy with life stuff like looking for a job for awhile. But now that I have another job and things are balancing out I will be checking up here more often and joining the conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by borisdrum View Post
    Welcome!

Thank you very much!

Hey, Shawn! How's the PE experience for you been so far?

Welcome to the Forum!

Hey Shawn. Welcome to the forum and Happy Thanksgiving to you and family. I play bass in an Allman Brothers tribute band called Idlewild West in the SF Bay Area. Plankton are pretty good, but the ABB rule! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Welcome aboard, plenty of good stuff to explore here, hope you like the Guapo.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Hey, Shawn! How's the PE experience for you been so far?
    Hey, Sean! So far it has been excellent. Very open minded friendly forum. Got to love progressive minds and progressive people creating progressive music with it. Thank you for being so kind to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Hey Shawn. Welcome to the forum and Happy Thanksgiving to you and family. I play bass in an Allman Brothers tribute band called Idlewild West in the SF Bay Area. Plankton are pretty good, but the ABB rule! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey, rapidfirerob, of course ABB rule! But Plankton as you said are pretty good. I'll check out your tribute band if you have some stuff on youtube, reverberation, band camp etc... If there is some words I'd sum the ABB band in it would be (music of feel). Because their music wasn't just music you heard, you felt that in every nook and cranny of your emotions when they played those notes. Even Greg Allman's voice is magical. There are just some songs that have that magic. For the Allman Brothers Dreams is one of those songs for me. That song hits me so damn hard in the heart. Another song that does that for me is by Bob Seger the song Mainstreet. That opening guitar melody is heavenly. At the end of the day you just can't beat the classic bands, nothing comes close to them and probably never will. And if there is a band that can come close to those bands nowadays I'd love to hear them. There was something in the land, air and water during those times though that I don't think can or ever will be replicated by the newer generation. I am 31 years old but I bow down to the master songwriters of old.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Welcome aboard, plenty of good stuff to explore here, hope you like the Guapo.

Hey NogbadTheBAD. Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to exploring a lot. I love the Guapo very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dworkin View Post
    Hey, rapidfirerob, of course ABB rule! But Plankton as you said are pretty good. I'll check out your tribute band if you have some stuff on youtube, reverberation, band camp etc... If there is some words I'd sum the ABB band in it would be (music of feel). Because their music wasn't just music you heard, you felt that in every nook and cranny of your emotions when they played those notes. Even Greg Allman's voice is magical. There are just some songs that have that magic. For the Allman Brothers Dreams is one of those songs for me. That song hits me so damn hard in the heart. Another song that does that for me is by Bob Seger the song Mainstreet. That opening guitar melody is heavenly. At the end of the day you just can't beat the classic bands, nothing comes close to them and probably never will. And if there is a band that can come close to those bands nowadays I'd love to hear them. There was something in the land, air and water during those times though that I don't think can or ever will be replicated by the newer generation. I am 31 years old but I bow down to the master songwriters of old.
    Also thank you for the thanksgiving wishes to my family and I. I am however vegan and I skip the animal consumption, but am thankful for many things. So a happy thanks to you and your family as well.

Here is actually my new favorite death metal band. They are from Siberia and their name is Dehydrated. And.... I fucking love them! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3nms9vlSkQ