Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Island - Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Progarchives Reviewer View Post

...(they make GENTLE GIANT seem like the MOODY BLUES, as far as complexity is concerned - I might be overexaggerating there)...
    "Overexaggerating?" As opposed to "underexaggerating"?

I don't have this but am listening to the samples. As I went to add it to my "music I want" document, I noticed it's already there. Time to pick this one up!!!
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Gave this a fresh spin last night, a few of thoughts.

First, I was really taken with how good Benjamin Jager's vocals were. You may not like his tone or some of the lyrics, but man the guy can sing; and he's got some very tricky intervals to navigate, and he nails them. Great sustain, too. He keeps a clear, solid tone throughout his longer notes.

Second, I was surprised at the lock of the bass drum and the organ pedals. At times it almost seemed like a MIDI recording these guys were so tight. Also interesting how the bass drum is often sort of "doing its own thing" in the context of the rest of the drums. Very interesting stuff.

I was surprised how much I was digging Empty Bottles. I confess I often skip this, because 73 minutes of Island is a lot to absorb, but Empty Bottles is an excellent track, despite the demo-quality recording.

Overall, I think this really is a superb album that fits nicely into the "Progressive Rock" style as defined by the big name bands in their classic 70s period. But Island bring their own quirky slant to things, and embrace challenging themselves and the listener without going past the bleeding edge.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

First, I was really taken with how good Benjamin Jager's vocals were. You may not like his tone or some of the lyrics, but man the guy can sing; and he's got some very tricky intervals to navigate, and he nails them. Great sustain, too. He keeps a clear, solid tone throughout his longer notes.

Second, I was surprised at the lock of the bass drum and the organ pedals. At times it almost seemed like a MIDI recording these guys were so tight. Also interesting how the bass drum is often sort of "doing its own thing" in the context of the rest of the drums. Very interesting stuff.

I was surprised how much I was digging Empty Bottles. I confess I often skip this, because 73 minutes of Island is a lot to absorb, but Empty Bottles is an excellent track, despite the demo-quality recording.

Overall, I think this really is a superb album that fits nicely into the "Progressive Rock" style as defined by the big name bands in their classic 70s period. But Island bring their own quirky slant to things, and embrace challenging themselves and the listener without going past the bleeding edge.

Bill
    Nice summation, Bill. I also gave it a fresh listen this past week (thanks to the Featured CD refresh!) and really enjoyed it. When I first started to become aware of the new prog scene in the mid-90's this was one of the first I got. Props to Mr. Golden for bringing it back into the world in the 90's
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Bill
    I thought I was the only one who zeroed in on this. Very strange. Very cool.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    GASTRIC JUICES
    That's... pretty creepy.

This sounds quite interesting though. Been meaning to check it out for a while now, but I don't know if it's the kind of music I'd want to listen to while alone at night.

Man this is quite the album, I couldn't help but think the vocalist sounded a little bit like Peter Gabriel, which kept throwing me off on my first listen, but regardless his voice is wonderful and fits the music quite well. As does the artwork, I couldn't think of a better cover for this album.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Great album, another brilliant Ken Golden reissue.

Oh man, I LOVE this album. Fantastically insane. I heard a couple of cuts from this on a tape someone sent to me when I was first discovering prog beyond the big 4 or 5. It completely blew my mind. These guys really sounded VERY different from most things I'd heard at that point.

I love it, always have.

Pictures was arguably the last progressive outpost of the whole "symph rock" conundrum - i.e. this specific style never really advanced or 'progressed' beyond what's stated on this album. Peter Scherer had a vision for the music here, and IMHO he succeeded big time. He was, unlike most "prog" keysmen of his day, a trained musician - versed not only in the basics of his instrument and of compositional tools, but of music and art theory at large. As such it doesn't surprise me at all that his later endeavours were in screwed pop (Ambitious Lovers with Arto Lindsay), contemporary sound installations and film soundtracks (as in his release for John Zorn's Tzadik label). To me, Pictures perfectly reflects elements of Egg, VdGG, Gentle Giant and Magma - and of numerous other sources directly from the pond of modern art musics.

As for the effervescent point of "complexity", reviewers should try to move beyond the alleged axiom of 'Gentle Giant' as its extreme. Seeing how certain rock music itself did this some 40 years ago.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Finally got this one on CD. Lovely lovely album. And I don't have any problems with vocals as some seems to have in this thread. Works fine in the context of the music.

I don't think I have heard the 23 minutes(!) long bonus track before. It also is pretty pretty good. Such a shame that Island only did one album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Finally got this one on CD. Lovely lovely album. And I don't have any problems with vocals as some seems to have in this thread. Works fine in the context of the music.

I don't think I have heard the 23 minutes(!) long bonus track before. It also is pretty pretty good. Such a shame that Island only did one album.
    Hello Kcrimso!.
    I'm glad you finally got it!

Three weeks ago I made a "back to back" between "Pictures" and "Pyrrho":
    "Pictures" continues to be a favorite and a desert island record here and once again, I confirmed that "Pyrrho" is nothing but a great/wonderful 2 set archival release and, for example, if you want to check the evolutionary process two years before “Pictures”, "Pyrrho" is the one!.

Island - Pyrrho.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlB98WVFGZY

Released 2005.

Tracklist:
    1 Home Recording, 1975, in Windlach / Raat (Switzerland)
    2 Live Version, 1976, in Africana St. Gallen (Switzerland)

Disc 1 - 1975 Home Recording of PYRRHO
    14 Unnamed Tracks

Güge Meier - Drums, Percussion, Vocals
    Egon Eggler - Bass, Vocals
    Dani Rühle - Guitar, Vocals
    Beni Jäger - Lead Vocals, Percussion
    Peter Scherer - Keyboards, Vocals

Disc 2 Live Version 1976
    24 Unnamed Tracks

Beni Jäger - Lead Vocals, Percussion
    René Fisch - Saxophone, Vocals
    Alfio Sacco - Bass, Vocals
    Güge Meier - Drums, Percussion, Vocals
    Peter Scherer - Keyboards, Vocals

Enjoy!.
    Tomás.
    Last edited by TCC; 07-26-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Three weeks ago I made a "back to back" between "Pictures" and "Pyrrho":
    "Pictures" continue to be a favorite and desert island record here and once again, I confirmed that "Pyrrho" is nothing but a great/wonderful 2 set archival release and, for example, if you want to check the evolutionary process two years before “Pictures”, "Pyrrho" is the one!.
    Agreed! I spun Pyrrho again recently and felt it really held up well. Is it Pictures? No. But it's definitely worthy in its own right and both the live and home studio discs are very enjoyable. So I also would encourage fans of Island to check out Pyrrho, which I think is still available by download.

Bill

I definitely need to check out Pyrrho also. How does bonus track on Pictures "Empty Bottles" relate to this? Similar kind of stuff'? Is "Empty Bottles" from earlier or later era than Pyrrho?
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 07-26-2019 at 04:11 AM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I also would encourage fans of Island to check out Pyrrho.

Bill
    Recording quality?
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Recording quality?
    Live cuts from the bands living room (or cellar) and from a bar. Not really terrible but not good either.

But they had a bass Player back then which makes a pleasent difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Live cuts from the bands living room (or cellar) and from a bar. Not really terrible but not good either.

But they had a bass Player back then which makes a pleasent difference.
    Hmm... I think that bass pedal sound is important part of the charm of Pictures.

Hmm... I think that bass pedal sound is important part of the charm of Pictures.
    Pictures is perfect as it is, but real bass isn't bad either...

I definitely need to check out Pyrrho also. How does bonus track on Pictures "Empty Bottles" relate to this? Similar kind of stuff'? Is "Empty Bottles" from earlier or later era than Pyrrho?
    I believe Empty Bottles is from the same period as Pictures. They say in the liner notes of the LE CD that the origin of the recording is unknown, but I think it's the same lineup that recorded Pictures.

Recording quality?
    Personally, I thought it was pretty good, given the givens. To me, the live stuff sounds as good if not better than Empty Bottles (from a sonic perspective), and the home studio stuff while not totally pro also sounds very good.

Here's a link to the full album on Youtube: https://youtu.be/GlB98WVFGZY

Bill

Recording quality?
    To be honest, I think the facilities were somewhat less apt than the two-mike taperecorder which allegedly was used for "Empty Bottles", the lengthy bonustrack on LE's reissue of Pictures.

While we're at it, Spyros - did you -EVER- come across an original vinyl of Pictures? I never saw it; not in Zürich, not in Hamburg, not in Berlin...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    While we're at it, Spyros - did you -EVER- come across an original vinyl of Pictures? I never saw it; not in Zürich, not in Hamburg, not in Berlin...
    Once, at a second hand record store in Athens. It was around 1998 and I already owned the CD, so I didn't bother though it was reasonably priced for the condition (g+ to vg). I never buy vinyl less than "ex-" condition. Have yet to see one in a store or record fair (though such items seem to be sold almost entirely online nowadays).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I actually own the original vinyl, most of the ususal Prog Dealers in Germany (About three ) had it in stock in the early 90s.

Never saw one in a store anywhere..

Of Course there is also an exclusive track on this compilation (see the vid on first page of the thread)

https://www.discogs.com/de/Various-H...elease/6653040

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I actually own the original vinyl,
    That's actually quite amazing!

I really like this recording, it speaks to the very distinct progressive attributes that exceed the requirements for "what is prog?" yes I said it, now just agree and move on. I love the HTM comparisons, very close in some aspects.

I don't know if there is anything to add to established praise...an incredible album, simply incomparable to anything that came before or after it, one of the best progressive records of all time in my opinion. The musicianship, the density and articulation of musical ideas is simply astonishing, and commands constant exploration through multiple listens. But the album's real virtue is its own overall atmosphere, which blends the ancient with the faraway future, combining medieval grimness with future dystopian imagery, making it sound timeless.

I also feel that vocals add a lot to the appeal of the album on me...at times he reminds me of another "dubious" vocalist, Paul Seal from Cathedral, they way the use the breathing and the sustain in their singing. He's no Hammill alright, but the weird, freakish atmosphere of the record is very well served by accent and singing alike.

The album can also be found on the Nurse With Wound list, which surely tells a lot for the quality of the list.