Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Thread: Zappa Family feud

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I am happy to pay for downloads. Particularly when the artist is still alive and gets a reasonable cut.

But you’re right, they’re not worth as much as a nicely-produced physical product.
    I've paid for hundreds of downloads that were priced as downloads.

Good. You are a virtuous consumer.

I have no qualms about downloading illegal bootlegs — artist doesn’t benefit, and the bootleggers shouldn’t either — or albums that are out of print or have never been released in digital format. But if the artist (or his estate)stands to benefit, generally I prefer to contribute.

The exception being used product. Nobody gets paid the second time around, but it’s still 100% legal.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Jed, if you thought it was overpriced just do without it. Your just easing your conscience with these excuses for stealing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have to give my $0.02 pesos - I will say this with as much love as possible: The product is the music - you did not avoid paying $100 for a USB stick and a cheapie custom - you avoided $100 for the music.

Whatever you think of of where the money goes - it is always better to pay for it. If not affordable, the full album is on Spotify; $9.99 a month will do it. After buying the Progeny set I decided that I did not want all the shows as it could be repetive - just ordered the 3 CD set from amazon.

Again, whatever you think of how fair is the the money goes where it goes, it beats what just happened. None went to the artists. Even you disagree with the actions of the ZFT, I am talking about the principle.

Again, with all due respect. I am giving my opinion on the action. No intended as personal.

v

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    I have to give my $0.02 pesos - I will say this with as much love as possible: The product is the music - you did not avoid paying $100 for a USB stick and a cheapie custom - you avoided $100 for the music.

Whatever you think of of where the money goes - it is always better to pay for it. If not affordable, the full album is on Spotify; $9.99 a month will do it. After buying the Progeny set I decided that I did not want all the shows as it could be repetive - just ordered the 3 CD set from amazon.

Again, whatever you think of how fair is the the money goes where it goes, it beats what just happened. None went to the artists. Even you disagree with the actions of the ZFT, I am talking about the principle.

Again, with all due respect. I am giving my opinion on the action. No intended as personal.

v
    That's cool - I just downloaded it all on Spotify. I subscribe to it.

A recent trend I've noticed is record stores selling digital downloads. Not sure how I feel about this.

Now, if they're selling physical product, why SHOULDN'T they sell downloads (you might ask)? They've got an open copy, and can rip it to a hard drive on their company computer. But is this strictly legal? I can't imagine they're actually paying royalties. In theory, is this any different than Napster, where peer-to-peer copying was "killing the music industry"?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    A recent trend I've noticed is record stores selling digital downloads. Not sure how I feel about this.

Now, if they're selling physical product, why SHOULDN'T they sell downloads (you might ask)? They've got an open copy, and can rip it to a hard drive on their company computer. But is this strictly legal? I can't imagine they're actually paying royalties. In theory, is this any different than Napster, where peer-to-peer copying was "killing the music industry"?
    Why shouldn't they pay royalties? I suppose it works the same as with other download sites, like Bandcamp.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If you're buying albums issued on USB sticks, back them up. You might think solid state digital storage devices last forever, but I had two microSD cards crap out on me inside of two weeks about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Why shouldn't they pay royalties? I suppose it works the same as with other download sites, like Bandcamp.
    They probably SHOULD but I can't imagine they actually go through the paperwork to do so. A place like Bandcamp that's their business model, they'd have to be set up to pay royalties. A mom&pop brick&mortar? Probably not so much.

Dweezil dixit : “Recently, we Zappa siblings (Diva, Ahmet and Dweezil) got together with the goal of resolving our differences. Once we sat down and actually listened to one another, we found a much greater understanding of each other’s intentions. We regret that our communication broke down and that things were misconstrued. It may be a bumpy road at times – we are a passionate Italian family – but we have decided to work toward privately discussing issues rather than using public forums and lawyers. We are hopeful that if any of our father’s fans have felt conflicted, they can join us in the peace of our resolution. With our best feet forward, we are moving ahead and will faithfully deliver much more of our father’s indefinable brilliance, also known as the “World’s Finest Optional Entertainment.” Thank you for your passion and love for our father. We can assure you, we all feel the same about him.”

It's passed on! This feud is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! Its metabolic processes are now 'istory! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-FEUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Dweezil dixit : “Recently, we Zappa siblings (Diva, Ahmet and Dweezil) got together with the goal of resolving our differences. Once we sat down and actually listened to one another, we found a much greater understanding of each other’s intentions. We regret that our communication broke down and that things were misconstrued. It may be a bumpy road at times – we are a passionate Italian family – but we have decided to work toward privately discussing issues rather than using public forums and lawyers. We are hopeful that if any of our father’s fans have felt conflicted, they can join us in the peace of our resolution. With our best feet forward, we are moving ahead and will faithfully deliver much more of our father’s indefinable brilliance, also known as the “World’s Finest Optional Entertainment.” Thank you for your passion and love for our father. We can assure you, we all feel the same about him.”

It's passed on! This feud is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! Its metabolic processes are now 'istory! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-FEUD!!

Family... we'll see. But this is fantastic to hear. Happy they worked out the differences. We all WIN>

we have decided to work toward privately discussing issues rather than using public forums and lawyers.
    Somebody must've finally hired a CPA

I know from experience that right after you lose your parents you're not in the best of shape. You can make poor decisions. Your emotions are torn open. You're still in shock. Good to hear the Zappas are beginning to heal.

As Phlakaton says, we all WIN>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll believe it when I see the results, color me cynical with the history of those involved.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

we have decided to work toward privately discussing issues rather than using public forums and lawyers.
    Wow, what a concept!

So is Dweezil's hologram gonna perform with that other band now?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The eons are closing
    I had hoped to 'see' Frank with Abba doing "Jewish Princess -> Dancing Queen"

I guess that dream is gone now.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Well, this IS good news if true. One wonders why they couldn't have just done this in the first place, but I get it, a lot is at stake and they probably all felt like they were doing what was best for their father's legacy. From my perspective, only Dweezil really was, but my perspective really doesn't matter to them I'm sure. Anyway, hopefully they can work things out now and be a united family again.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I had hoped to 'see' Frank with Abba doing "Jewish Princess -> Dancing Queen"

I guess that dream is gone now.
    We all mourn with you.

The eons are closing
    Well, maybe Flo & Eddie can join The Dweeze and I can go see them do the MudShark suite.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit