Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Genesis "new stereo mixes"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    The other three discs of Lamb outtakes just got posted http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=4340#comment-2908359
    They played Ripples at their 2007 Reunion (I think that was the date). I hated the show but that one song was amazing.

I've been spinning Wind And Wuthering in 5.1 this morning (the DVD-A, not the SACD) and I noticed how quiet some of the backing vocal parts are, most notably lines like "Eleventh Earl of Mar, couldn't get them very far" and the backing "ahhh... ahhh.. ahhh.. ahhh"s in Mouse's Night (right before "... I think I might go out for a stroll" for example). Those parts are barely audible... anyone else notice this, is it a mixing decision or have I screwed up the sound settings on my system?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All that remix/5.1 stuff is over my head. My favorite versions of the Genesis stuff is the 1994 remasters. I intentionally sought out those pressings when refilling my Genesis collection on CD. I had the TOTT remix, but bought the 94 anyway and gave the remix to my son.

The 1994 ones can be lived with as they are the originals, but IMHO they (whoever it is that mastered them!) got this catalogue right the first time these albums were mastered for CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've been spinning Wind And Wuthering in 5.1 this morning (the DVD-A, not the SACD) and I noticed how quiet some of the backing vocal parts are, most notably lines like "Eleventh Earl of Mar, couldn't get them very far" and the backing "ahhh... ahhh.. ahhh.. ahhh"s in Mouse's Night (right before "... I think I might go out for a stroll" for example). Those parts are barely audible... anyone else notice this, is it a mixing decision or have I screwed up the sound settings on my system?
    I do remember the backing vocals towards the end of YOSW (especially on 'of holding my hand') being barely audible. Indeed the lead vocals are IMHO often far too high in the mix across these mixes. I hate the way the drums sound as well, particularly on 'Afterglow'. So you probably haven't screwed up anything- these remixes did.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I do remember the backing vocals towards the end of YOSW (especially on 'of holding my hand') being barely audible. Indeed the lead vocals are IMHO often far too high in the mix across these mixes. I hate the way the drums sound as well, particularly on 'Afterglow'. So you probably haven't screwed up anything- these remixes did.
    I suspected as much, just wanted to make sure. It makes those tracks unlistenable for me, because I need those parts to be there - I've known them to be that way for too many years now, just makes me want to play the original mixes (as we've well documented now, of course!) Backing vocals are an important part of their sound, I don't like having to strain to hear them.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Weirdly, I've never had a problem with the remixes. I rather enjoyed them.
    That makes sense. You also hate the music on Nursery Cryme.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    That makes sense. You also hate the music on Nursery Cryme.
    Wait, you waited more than 4 years to make this unnecessary and negative comment?

Quote Originally Posted by godbluff75 View Post
    Wait, you waited more than 4 years to make this unnecessary and negative comment?
    To a guy who isn't even here anymore. (Though I expect him to return eventually.)

I was wondering about him (aith01). Does anyone know why he isn't posting here anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I was wondering about him (aith01). Does anyone know why he isn't posting here anymore?
    There was a dust up. As you probably recall, Tyler could be pretty defensive regarding criticism of bands/artists that he enjoys. I don't recall the thread or particulars, but 2 or 3 other regular posters came down on him pretty hard over it, but I think he didn't feel welcome anymore and said he was leaving. I haven't seen him post since.

I'm terrible with the passage of time these days, but I'm guessing it was the summer, last year?

Sounds about right. I know he was extremely defensive about Genesis; he wouldn't let any Genesis-related thread he was involved in end on a negative note and seemed to feel that he needed to jump in to defend the band. I liked the guy a lot, though.

^ Yeah, I think he's a good guy. I hope he comes back.

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    I don't like those "new mixes". They can be accurately compared to the Star Wars DVD rereleases.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I honestly hope no one feels the impetus to stay away because they get into scraps with people. I loved the Usenet because people would go at each other unrepentantly for years. That's the kind of stick-to-it-ness that I like.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    My favorite versions of the Genesis stuff is the 1994 remasters.
    Yes, same here: these are the versions I have and IMHO sound excellent. I've heard numerous times that the 2007 remasters are a sonic disaster area, so I have absolutely ZERO intention of changing and as I don't have a 5.1 system the surround mixes are absolutely useless to me. If they've seriously messed with the music, as seems to be the suggestion in this thread, then I have even less inclination to pick them up were I ever to replace my current hi-fi set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Yes, same here: these are the versions I have and IMHO sound excellent. I've heard numerous times that the 2007 remasters are a sonic disaster area, so I have absolutely ZERO intention of changing and as I don't have a 5.1 system the surround mixes are absolutely useless to me. If they've seriously messed with the music, as seems to be the suggestion in this thread, then I have even less inclination to pick them up were I ever to replace my current hi-fi set-up.
    The 1994 remasters are terrible as well, but for a different reason. Many of them use a heavy dose of noise-reduction. Yuck. The original 1980’s Cd’s are better in every instance.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The best Genesis CDs are the Charisma ones that has the cropped artwork on each CD.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-26-2024 at 11:58 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The best Genesis CDs are the Charisma ones that has the cropped artwork on each CD.

I agree

the only 2007 campaign release that I give credit too is the ...and then there were three... release that always seemed mixed terribly from the get go

The first CDs had very good sound, but some had very poor packaging.

The 'definitive remasters' don't always have quite so good sound- particularly on the earlier albums- but aren't bad and are still the originals. The packaging was also far better. These would probably suffice for most people.

I cannot recommend the remixes. As an alternative I wouldn't be that bothered but no way should these be the defaults. There are pronounced differences and even errors (how on earth was that 'Entangled' cleared for release?). I don't really like the 'pumped up' sound of them compared with the originals, which had much more light and shade.

Sounds about right. I know he was extremely defensive about Genesis; he wouldn't let any Genesis-related thread he was involved in end on a negative note and seemed to feel that he needed to jump in to defend the band.
    And the current Yes. The flounce was over Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson, I don't really remember as I don't have the relevant album.

I can't say I disliked the guy, but the defensiveness over some fairly mild opinions could be a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by godbluff75 View Post
    I have to say, I do find this kind of thing very odd as well.

The 1994 remasters are terrible as well, but for a different reason. Many of them use a heavy dose of noise-reduction. Yuck. The original 1980’s Cd’s are better in every instance.
    Well I'm one of the suckers who have bought them all! As each box set came out I gave many of the originals and 94 remasters away. At that point I was only listening to the 5.1 versions which I still like. I have a second stereo that is old school 2 channel... once I started listening to the 2 channel versions of the box sets a couple of years after purchase I realized those did sound quite poor so I started to rebuy the old versions at used record shops. Live and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Likewise. I emailed him privately a few times around the the time of the Genesis Domino shows. I liked him for certain, always like it when the youngsters get on board with "my" bands Genesis in particular. Hopefully he will read the positive posts and reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The first CDs had very good sound, but some had very poor packaging.

The 'definitive remasters' don't always have quite so good sound- particularly on the earlier albums- but aren't bad and are still the originals. The packaging was also far better. These would probably suffice for most people.

I cannot recommend the remixes. As an alternative I wouldn't be that bothered but no way should these be the defaults. There are pronounced differences and even errors (how on earth was that 'Entangled' cleared for release?). I don't really like the 'pumped up' sound of them compared with the originals, which had much more light and shade.

And the current Yes. The flounce was over Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson, I don't really remember as I don't have the relevant album.

I can't say I disliked the guy, but the defensiveness over some fairly mild opinions could be a bit much.

I have to say, I do find this kind of thing very odd as well.
    Except the booklets in the 1994 remasters contain an advertisement in the center spread which is an eyesore. The best of both worlds are the 1991 Japanese VJCP releases which contain the original mastering plus beautiful booklets, faithful to the original artwork.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Sounds about right. I know he was extremely defensive about Genesis; he wouldn't let any Genesis-related thread he was involved in end on a negative note and seemed to feel that he needed to jump in to defend the band. I liked the guy a lot, though.
    I believe it was a Steven Wilson thread, probably the The Future Bites. He had a tendency of getting defensive to the point of being rather condescending. But it's never like he said anything to me or anyone else that was unforgivable, at least as far as I remember. It was just his thing. Its what happens when the irreverent crosses the revered.

Except the booklets in the 1994 remasters contain an advertisement in the center spread which is an eyesore. The best of both worlds are the 1991 Japanese VJCP releases which contain the original mastering plus beautiful booklets, faithful to the original artwork.
    Well, sort of faithful. My 1991 Japanese VJCP CD of Trespass has Phil Collins and Steve Hackett listed among the band members in the booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Well I'm one of the suckers who have bought them all! As each box set came out I gave many of the originals and 94 remasters away. At that point I was only listening to the 5.1 versions which I still like. I have a second stereo that is old school 2 channel... once I started listening to the 2 channel versions of the box sets a couple of years after purchase I realized those did sound quite poor so I started to rebuy the old versions at used record shops. Live and learn!
    I'm guilty doing that sometimes as well, but mostly when I was younger. I still have most the '97 Genesis, but back then I happily got rid of the original Lamb just because it was in that ugly double disc thick case! I have since re-bought all the 80's Charisma Genesis CDs. My biggest regret is I gave away my entire original YES CD collection when the remasters came out. Yea, gave them to a friend who was just starting to get into YES. Did it without even doing a side by side. I just assumed remasters were better, especially because all my music listening was in my car or on my ipod at the gym.