Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Wilson's YES Remasters/Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillclub View Post
    The stereo remix of the yes album is too flat .. The original was so good in the first place . ( YBA genesis cd4 /musical fidelity A370 / vecteur ) . I've just listen to it two days ago and wonder why the need to remix it ???
    Because you can actually hear so much more of what the musicians played?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

True on relayer but not on the yes album Imho....

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    "Gates" is really well done too but misses the sound effects as they were apparently not on the multitrack tape.
    Wha?? Sad to hear. These are an important element of the song, IMO.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Wha?? Sad to hear. These are an important element of the song, IMO.
    To these ears, they were not missed.

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The packaging of the discs causes the whole gatefold to stay open all the time.
    I don't know what you mean. Mine doesn't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I’ve bought most of SW’s remixes – Yes, Tull, Crimson, Giant, Hawkwind, ELP etc – and in each case I’ve enjoyed them for what they are, a different interpretation. They’re fun to listen to because SW takes the same building blocks but rearranges them differently and quite often has unearthed some aspects previously buried in the original mix due to the tech limitations at the time of recording. They’re still the same albums, but offer an alternative listening experience.
    Sorry, but he quite often bury the sounds, that he doesn't like. Lead guitar on Matte Kudasai, cluster mellotron chord on Prince Rupert Awakes, saxophone on War Child, and many other examples. It's like Gioconda with moustache, most of his 'improvements'.
    Last edited by grego; 05-03-2016 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Sorry, but he quite often bury the sounds, that he doesn't like. Lead guitar on Matte Kudasai, cluster mellotron chord on Prince Rupert Awakes, saxophone on War Child, and many other examples. It's like Gioconda with moustache, most of his 'improvements'.
    The lead guitar on Matte Kudasai was Fripps decision. It's edited out on the Frame by Frame box set from the early 90's. I believe the liner notes explained that he preferred Belews slide guitar instead.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I'd be very surprised if SW removed sounds from the original mix simply because he didn't like them. Remember, these are artist-approved remixes, and he'll have had to deal with some of most awkward buggers around to get it all approved. So if anything has been removed from a track, even if it's an original tape glitch, it will have needed artist approval before the remix was finalised and released.

Schlongasaurus' post above would seem to confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I don't know what you mean. Mine doesn't have that problem.
    Mine does too...the package won't stay closed. It flops open
    As well, the CD sleeves readily fall out of the main package yet ironically, the discs are extremely difficult to remove from those sleeves.

But I don't really care much...the sonic wonders on the discs make it well worth the minor issues.