Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect: Rate KC's 80's comeback trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post

That said, I really like the talking heads last record, when they really went to town with the polyrhythms and Brazilian music. It's like they actually Made a good record and then for whatever reason quit . I'm not familiar with the whys, but I presume that Byrne wanted a solo career .
    Pretty much, apparently. As I understand it, Byrne unilaterally pulled the plug on the band. As I recall, there was a point in the 90's where Jerry Harrison, Chris Franz and Tina Weymouth recorded and toured as The Heads, so those three obviously wanted to continue working together. If I remember correctly, Byrne tried to pull a Roger Waters, taking legal action (apparently unsuccessfully) to prevent them using that band name.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Pretty much, apparently. As I understand it, Byrne unilaterally pulled the plug on the band. As I recall, there was a point in the 90's where Jerry Harrison, Chris Franz and Tina Weymouth recorded and toured as The Heads, so those three obviously wanted to continue working together. If I remember correctly, Byrne tried to pull a Roger Waters, taking legal action (apparently unsuccessfully) to prevent them using that band name.
    Damn, if only they'd gotten a David Byrne-esque replacement singer. That would have been funny.

"And you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Damn, if only they'd gotten a David Byrne-esque replacement singer. That would have been funny.
    Funny but pretty unfortunate. Thank the gods Youtube didn't exist back then.

Interesting that this thread has turned into a Talking Heads/Crimson comparison. Let me first say I really like both groups. But I had an interesting experience recently where I listened to Discipline, then Stop Making Sense. I could barely listen to SMS. After hearing Discipline the TH rhythm section sounded so boring, the whole thing just sounded like such an amateur imitation of Crimson that I had to turn it off. I know it isn't, for the record, and I really like the Heads as I say above. But they did not fare well in an AB comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Interesting that this thread has turned into a Talking Heads/Crimson comparison. Let me first say I really like both groups. But I had an interesting experience recently where I listened to Discipline, then Stop Making Sense. I could barely listen to SMS. After hearing Discipline the TH rhythm section sounded so boring, the whole thing just sounded like such an amateur imitation of Crimson that I had to turn it off. I know it isn't, for the record, and I really like the Heads as I say above. But they did not fare well in an AB comparison.
    I saw them and others in their nascent days at CBGBs. The draw was more about excitement over "new" (and pretty damned close to insane and kooky) than over good. When all those groups were signed (some to lucrative deals), I officially lost faith in talent evaluation at records labels.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    I saw them and others in their nascent days at CBGBs. The draw was more about excitement over "new" (and pretty damned close to insane and kooky) than over good. When all those groups were signed (some to lucrative deals), I officially lost faith in talent evaluation at records labels.
    I only saw TH once on the Speaking in Tongues tour, but it was an outdoor show on a beautiful Summer night, and they formed Tom Tom Club for a few songs. I think that was the best way to see them. It was just relaxed and enjoyable.

I mentioned up thread seeing KC outdoors that same summer and also Peter Gabriel (Plays Live tour - maybe one was the following summer?). Anyway all three shows had a blissful quality I don't usually associate with those artists.

I only saw TH once on the Speaking in Tongues tour, but it was an outdoor show on a beautiful Summer night, and they formed Tom Tom Club for a few songs. I think that was the best way to see them. It was just relaxed and enjoyable.

I mentioned up thread seeing KC outdoors that same summer and also Peter Gabriel (Plays Live tour - maybe one was the following summer?). Anyway all three shows had a blissful quality I don't usually associate with those artists.
    So, you're saying that I would have liked the Balking Heads better had I seen them outdoors on a hot summer night rather than in the setting where they first became known? LOL. All of the bands that played CBGBs back then were odd, moderately talented people..........at best. Making it back then was more about luck than anything else. Growing up in NYC, I routinely heard many garage bands who were better than those bands getting the attention. Comparing TH to KC (at any stage of their career) should be considered a mortal sin.

Comparing TH to KC (at any stage of their career) should be considered a mortal sin.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Ah, wise guy".

So, you're saying that I would have liked the Balking Heads better had I seen them outdoors on a hot summer night rather than in the setting where they first became known?
    No
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-16-2016 at 10:15 PM.

We must've seen the same tour...

The only other times I saw TH was on the Stop Making Sense thing, but not with Belew... the same line-up as the movie.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.