Thread: RIP Papa Wemba

RIP Papa Wemba

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/24/wo...l?eref=edition

Peter Gabriel fans would know him, he opened for PG and also joined him on stage for In Your Eyes performances. he added a unique vocal to the song.

RIP soukous master. If one is interested in nifty multiple interlocking guitars, one can look farther afield than 80s era Crimson.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

RIP
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

"King of Rhumba Rock"
    Thanks for alerting me. Of his 58 +/- releases I might have heard four. It's so hard to follow these African artists even in the age of catalog streaming and Spotify. I will put together a retrospective on my radio show this weekend, and feature all those artists who followed his lead.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Sad news. One of the greats, along with Kanda Bongo Man.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

http://petergabriel.com/news/remembering-papa-wemba/

**I was very shocked and saddened to learn of Papa Wemba’s death last night. It is hard to realise I now have to talk about him in the past.
    He was such an extraordinary talent – music flowed out of him effortlessly and he could thrill people with one of the most beautiful and emotional voices I have ever heard.
    His music was full of gentle rhythms and joy, but the passion came from the power of his singing, which always carried a sadness, especially in his high voice, which I found really moving.
    I remember talking to Chris Blackwell about all the great voices of Africa and he said that Wemba was the greatest of them all.
    Papa Wemba was deeply affected by the destructive violence and poverty in his country and hated the western stereotypes of an Africa without hope. This was one of the reasons he created the Sapeur movement (Société des Ambianceurs et des Personnes d’Élégance – SAPE) which gave young people real confidence in how they looked and presented themselves to the world. What seemed to some as trivial and flamboyant gave many in West Africa and Paris a real identity and pride. His run-in with the French and Belgian immigration authorities for smuggling people into Europe was a real low-point in his career, but we only ever saw him act kindly and always assumed that his motivation had been honourable. I feel very privileged to have known him and to have had the chance to write, record and tour with one of the world’s greatest singers and musicians.**

– pg
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973