Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime

Im ignorant here. If you want to watch a movie or whatever on your TV at home, they send the content via the net and the TV accesses from your router? So only TVs with wifi will get it? If it comes through the router is it possible to get the signal through a physical cable , ethernet hdmi ? , from the router to tv?
    Any coments on how you like or dislike the service and content itself?
    Reluctently considering entry into the next level of the tech addiction of modern life. (but the door opener for me, free shipping)

You use the Amazon Fire stick plugged into a TV having an HDMI port, as one method. The fire stick works off your house WiFi connection. Configuration accomplished on your TV.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

You can also watch it thru stuff like Roku. I have a smart TV (Vizo) so I can get it that way along with Netflix, Youtube, etc.. Of course you can watch in online too over your computer, iPad, or Kindle, etc.

The eons are closing
    Generally speaking, if you have a modern smart TV, it is likely that there is a software app built for Prime in your menu somewhere that will use your WiFi to deliver content.

If you do not have a smart TV but have HDMI inputs; you can buy a Fire TV stick as noted earlier or you can connect a laptop through its HDMI output.

There are other methods (e.g. stand alone boxes like roku, Bluetooth, et al) but nowadays, the first paragraph is the way to go.

*purposely broad*

also worth noting that Prime now includes music streaming. It's not as comprehensive as other services but I found enough prog and electronic to keep me going for while.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have Wifi
    I have a portable PC with HDMI
    I have a HDMI cable 2 meters
    I have a newer TV with HDMI

Whatever I am watching on my PC I can see on my TV screen if I want.
    You connect the PC with the TV, and on the TV you select the HDMI entrance with the zapper.

as you can see there are plenty of options. Personally I use a Fire Stick - love the fact when you pause up pops the list of actors in the scene.
    I also have the option of using my smart blu-ray player, or hdmi from my computer or casting my mobile screen to Chromecast. Wouldn't recommend the last but since Amazon don't support Chromecast you can't stream prime directly to it from t'internet, you have to go via phone or tablet which can get choppy.

…and some have found a way to 'unlock' the Fire Stick

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    as you can see there are plenty of options. Personally I use a Fire Stick - love the fact when you pause up pops the list of actors in the scene.
    I also have the option of using my smart blu-ray player, or hdmi from my computer or casting my mobile screen to Chromecast. Wouldn't recommend the last but since Amazon don't support Chromecast you can't stream prime directly to it from t'internet, you have to go via phone or tablet which can get choppy.

I use Chromecast for all of my other PC-to-TV streaming. Yeah, I'm a few years behind the technology curve...but then again my TV's going on 5 years old as well

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    I use Chromecast for all of my other PC-to-TV streaming. Yeah, I'm a few years behind the technology curve...but then again my TV's going on 5 years old as well
    Chromecast is great for most things, Netflix, You Tube, BT Sports and many others. I use if a lot. It's just Amazon that doesn't play nice.

My TV is probably about 10 years old and should keep me going for many years to come. All I want from the TV is a good picture and plenty of connections. When it comes to smart features I prefer plug in devices rather than having it built into the TV. I know people who got rid of a perfectly fine TV just to get the latest Smart features so that was around £1000 to get the same features a £30 plugin would have given them.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    Chromecast is great for most things, Netflix, You Tube, BT Sports and many others. I use if a lot. It's just Amazon that doesn't play nice.

My TV is probably about 10 years old and should keep me going for many years to come. All I want from the TV is a good picture and plenty of connections. When it comes to smart features I prefer plug in devices rather than having it built into the TV. I know people who got rid of a perfectly fine TV just to get the latest Smart features so that was around £1000 to get the same features a £30 plugin would have given them.
    That's the logic I ran with - why buy a new TV until it's imperative, when a $75 investment takes care of all my streaming needs...(I still don't own a smart phone...)

The eons are closing
    If you can jailbreak the Fire stick, you can load Kodi on it, then get the Exodus add-on for all your streaming needs. I would recommend using a VPN with that so your ISP doesn't get bent outta shape.

That being said, many good fairly simple options noted in this thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    While we're on the subject (sort of), I never really knew if there's any way to force a smart TV to get updates of apps, or to download new apps. I have a Panasonic smart TV, and I think once the Netflix app was somehow improved, but the YouTube one has never changed (in a few years), and I don't think the Amazon one has changed either. Would it be getting updates automatically if these changed? Is there a way to get additional apps, if there are any? I use Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube, and everything else seems pretty useless (I would use Hulu if I paid for Hulu).

You need to go into settings to download updates but at least in regards to my Panasonic, the app updates are nothing like what we experience in the rest of the tech world. My Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix apps are still clunky pieces of crap compared to what I can download from Windows, Google, or Apple. TV is waaaay behind the curve on this.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You might be able to check the latest version on the Panasonic website. I once had to update a SmartTV via a download onto a usb stick rather directly via t'internet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    You need to go into settings to download updates but at least in regards to my Panasonic, the app updates are nothing like what we experience in the rest of the tech world. My Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix apps are still clunky pieces of crap compared to what I can download from Windows, Google, or Apple. TV is waaaay behind the curve on this.
    I can't believe they still haven't figured out a better way to search for shows than clicking on letters in a grid, or worse yet in a long line. Excruciating. I know there are speech controlled devices, etc. but I'm talking things like the Netflix or YouTube app on Smart TVs. Yeah, they blow big time.

I just placed on order with Amazon.com. The item (Motorpsycho - The All Is One CD) is coming from Amazon.co.uk, but ordered from Amazon.com. Because I have Amazon Prime, their was a tier of global shipping that's FREE! Yowza - it shows the shipping cost - $12.99, then shows a credit for $12.99. This is an excellent new benefit!

Take my money! I have been assimilated with the AmazonBorg! (To be absolved of my sins, I placed a nice order with Wayside and with Cardiacs/ABC today as well!).

Me too.

You use the Amazon Fire stick plugged into a TV having an HDMI port, as one method. The fire stick works off your house WiFi connection. Configuration accomplished on your TV.
    i was forced to do exactly this as the wifi setup in my 'smart' TV stopped working (got weird errors when trying to connect to the router). so no longer could i just press the Prime button on my tv's remote. this was like a year ago now so i learned about all the cool fire stick apps and shortcuts. something i couldn't do going through the tv.

as far as Amazon/Prime in general, i love it. been a Prime member for a while now and plan to continue.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    If you can jailbreak the Fire stick, you can load Kodi on it, then get the Exodus add-on for all your streaming needs. I would recommend using a VPN with that so your ISP doesn't get bent outta shape.

That being said, many good fairly simple options noted in this thread
    yes, critical if using Kodi or other apps that download free stuff. the best vpn i tried for the fire stick is Cyberghost. some like Ivacy seem to work fine on your phone but don't work very well on the stick..
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Just started getting warning messages that I need to delete 500MB from my fire stick????? I have no Apps installed. I’ve deleted all data and caches an it’s still full? Does Amazon fill it up with bloat-ware? I can no longer watch Amazon Prime with the fire stick in my TV.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Just started getting warning messages that I need to delete 500MB from my fire stick????? I have no Apps installed. I’ve deleted all data and caches an it’s still full? Does Amazon fill it up with bloat-ware? I can no longer watch Amazon Prime with the fire stick in my TV.
    That sound like a drag. I use my Fire Stick for Prime and Youtube - nothing else. No problems with this approach.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Mine's telling me I need to delete apps. I still have over 600 MB free space, so they can kiss my ass. I'm going to watch YouTube videos on removing bloatware from Firestick this weekend when I have the time to really dig into it. I have a lot of apps downloaded, and I'm not in favor of giving them up just so Amazon can place more useless Cloud crap on it. Without looking, I'd guess there's at least 5 Amazon apps that I never use installed by Amazon.

I have the same message and as far as I know, we have never stored a single thing on the damn thing. WTF?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It may have been a bad software update from Amazon. If so, they'll likely fix it with another update.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama