Thread: Brian Eno • ‘Fickle Sun (iii) I’m Set Free’ (Velvet Underground cover)

Brian Eno • ‘Fickle Sun (iii) I’m Set Free’ (Velvet Underground cover)

http://boingboing.net/2016/04/21/lis...s-new-cov.html

'Today, Brian Eno released his reimagination of the Velvet Underground's track "I'm Set Free." The cover, titled “Fickle Sun (iii) I’m Set Free,” is from Eno's new album The Ship, coming April 29.

Eno says:
    “The first time I ever heard [The Velvet Underground] was on a John Peel radio show… it was when their first album came out and I thought “This I like! This I want to know about!”. I was having a huge crisis at the time. Am I going to be a painter or am I somehow going to get into music. And I couldn’t play anything so music was the less obvious choice. Then, when I heard The Velvet Underground I thought, “you can do both actually”. It was a big moment for me.

“That particular song always resonated with me but it took about 25 years before I thought about the lyrics. “I’m set free, to find a new illusion”. Wow. That’s saying we don’t go from an illusion to reality (the western idea of “Finding The Truth”) but rather we go from one workable solution to another more workable solution.

Subsequently I think we aren’t able and actually don’t particularly care about the truth, whatever that might be. What we care about is having intellectual tools and inventions that work. [Yuval Noah Harari in his book “Sapiens”] discusses that what makes large-scale human societies capable of cohering and co-operating is the stories they share together. Democracy is a story, religion is a story, money is a story. This chimed well with “I’m set free to find a new illusion”. It seems to me what we don’t need now is people that come out waving their hands and claiming they know the Right Way.” '

A really good VU song, but I'm not sure about the cover. I like Eno and all, but the grime of the song is stripped away here. Too slick.

Or maybe I really like this?

I could go either way. Eno's vocals on this are quite good.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Since the album dropped - bump.

Another 21:19 here.

This is a 46 minute release.

Why in the fuck do they release it as a double vinyl set?

side one 21 minutes
    side two 25 minutes

instead we get

side one and two 21 minutes
    side three and four 25 minutes

yes - the album is quite good. great to hear him using vocals again. the long title track is really something else...
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com