Thread: Dream Theater plays The Astonishing LIVE

Dream Theater plays The Astonishing LIVE

The North American leg of DT's The Astonishing tour is fully underway.
    The controversial and daring move of performing the prog-metal musical
    in it's entirety is putting their dedicated following to the test.
    DT's desire is to present and perform the show as they envisioned it,
    complete with a visual presentation (that could be their best ever).
    This makes the statement that despite the incredible catalog of epics and
    classics that helped to classify them as the icons of the genre they are content
    to deal with the here and now come what may.

Was able to catch the show at the venerable Orpheum Theater in Boston on Tuesday.
    Most in attendance were aware that this was not a typical Dream Theater concert BUT was
    The Astonishing performed by Dream Theater...Once this was fully realized an appreciation
    of this effort was obvious.

The group as always was flawless and though the music was not as heavy or
    consistently technical as other efforts many memorable melodies filled the hall.
    With many and varied voices for LaBrie to perform, the enigmatic singer was up to the
    task with the help of an occasional triggered backing vocal.
    JP and JR's solos were short and sweet and complemented the music well.
    (Many fans of course missed the legendary trade-off & unison solos of the virtuosos-me too)
    Myung & Mangini hard to hear on the recording sounded great in the live environment.

Having seen Yes perform Tales-Genesis do the Lamb-Floyd crank DSoTM-and Tull perform TaaB & PP
    live in their entirety I can fully appreciate the effort DT put into this project. With a video show that
    helps to explain the not so complicated story the concert is certainly an enjoyable evening.

There may be a little too much Disney-esque cheese and schmaltz in the story and some musical
    passages to have The Astonishing achieve legendary status but two thumbs up : for giving it
    the old Berklee College try....

......off to Radio City for encore performance !!!

Somebody has to take over for Andrew Lloyd Webber !

Wow looks like they are skipping the south completely. No shows in Tejas or anywhere near. Bummer, My kids love the astonishing.

I wonder if they'll have the same problem Yes did, performing "Tales" in its entirety live.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

PLEASE tell me Rudess is going to eat a curry on stage!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I missed the chance to see them live here in England but I think they've done an excellent job with this album and performing it live in full on tour is no mean feat. Kudos to DT for this brave and unexpected move - they pulled it off, bravo.

It's beautiful music but as a concert, well... There's no "participation" from the band and close to zero interaction with the audience, except some gestures from Petrucci. LaBrie were struggling to reach the high notes, often landing somewhere in between. The light show and video background was nice, but lacks in variation. Towards the end of the first set (90 mins) I saw quite a number of fans drowsing. However the second set (60 mins or so) had more energy and contains the more interesting compositions of the album. Most of the audience left with a contented smile. Expect no encores...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I was at Radio City tonight....I still don't really know how I feel about the music.

I applaud the band for going out of their comfort zone.

Some asshole yelled out for Portnoy during a quiet part....thankfully someone else yelled for Mangini right after.....the audience booed the first guy and applauded the second, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I wonder if they'll have the same problem Yes did, performing "Tales" in its entirety live.
    At least Tales was only a double LP. This thing is a quadruple when pressed on vinyl.

A few thoughts on the Radio City show for The Astonishing..
    Of course RCMH is the go-to venue for a concert, the art-deco
    jewel is immaculate and has great sightlines and flawless sound.

The grind of the tour may be getting to JLB a bit as at this show
    his vocals were a bit more breathy and shouty than at Boston...
    Of course there are a lot MORE vocals in TA than the typical
    DT recording (one of the projects pitfalls).

The music and video presentation came off without a hitch but with
    the album length (as Viukkis noted 2x the size of Tales) keeping up
    the momentum is no easy feat. But all and all a fun show and
    why not break from the ordinary once in a while.

There is always the knucklehead shouting for "free bird" or "whipping post"
    at concerts seems the new request will be "portnoy"..as some jerk shouted out
    in a quiet moment. All DT fans love and respect what Mike P brought to the group
    But HE left them and Mike M certainly has the talent to carry on.

In closing I think the TA was something that DT wanted to try as a one off
    and though it ultimately was enjoyable will go back to the "rock and awe"
    approach that is their bread and butter.

When the group left the stage at the end they made it clear that they would see
    everyone again very soon. I think that means a quick return to a mixed set list tour
    maybe later this year.

Lets hope they actually "tour" the country if that is the case. Seriously, it seems like prog bands are avoiding traveling to the southern states. I would love to see this album, or any DT album would be spectacular. Its been years since I've seen a decent band. I'm ready to move to NYC just so I can see some decent prog.

I was at the Radio City show in NYC as well. I've seen DT well over 20 times, basically every tour since Images and Words (and on more than a few occasions multiple times per tour), and I have to say this was the first show that I was somewhat bored at. The album does come off a little better live, but it wasn't hard to feel some fatigue about a third of the the way through the set...and it seemed like I wasn't the only one. Give them credit for wanting to do this, but it I think it might have made more sense for them to perform the 'meat' of the album (minus all the little interludes and things) with some of their older material sandwiched around it.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    I was at the Radio City show in NYC as well. I've seen DT well over 20 times, basically every tour since Images and Words (and on more than a few occasions multiple times per tour), and I have to say this was the first show that I was somewhat bored at. The album does come off a little better live, but it wasn't hard to feel some fatigue about a third of the the way through the set...and it seemed like I wasn't the only one. Give them credit for wanting to do this, but it I think it might have made more sense for them to perform the 'meat' of the album (minus all the little interludes and things) with some of their older material sandwiched around it.
    Not surprising...............and not the first time I've heard this.
    Bordering on musical theater, a tough act to pull off.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one bored at Radio City.

They're playing Portland on Tuesday, so The Portland Mercury - our local hipper-than-hip-ster rag, heavy on the snark and light on the content - published the following article on DT and The Astonishing. The Mercury is, as I already said, heavy on the snark, and this is a full four-sided Round Table of Snark, so the whole thing may be annoying to DT fans. But even with all the cheap shots, it is fitfully amusing. Anyway, you can't say that DT didn't really stick their chins out on this one.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/music...rs-magnum-opus

And to be fair to the Mercury, I should add that Dungen are playing here on Monday, and one of those same four snark-meister reviewers also recognizes that the Swedes have something special and worthwhile to offer:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/event...ngen-boogarins

Snark- pretty funny ...not bad for four basement dwelling 7th year literature students, bravo..
    if you cant do--teach--cant teach--write--cant write--criticize..

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post
    Oh wow, I like that...Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post
    hey... That hits a little too close to home!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Anyway, you can't say that DT didn't really stick their chins out on this one.
    Quite. The highly elaborate 'narrative' sections quoted in there...they've made a rod for their own backs with this one. I hope the Mercury is prepared for the onslaught of outrage, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    PLEASE tell me Rudess is going to eat a curry on stage!

"Anyway, you can't say that DT didn't really stick their chins out on this one."

Yes, in spite of my view it's a stinker, I'll give them that.

Listening to the London show now.....trying very hard to totally get into it.