Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince dead at 57

Go to about the 3:30 mark to see him make his guitar weep

As most of his fans and hell, just about any music fan who was in the Twin Cities knows, he had so much material just sitting in the vault. Live shows and studio recordings by the score, covering every phase of his career. I remember one of the local music writers witnessing a late night show in the mid-90s when Prince did nothing but original songs with a power trio, playing a sort of Allmans/Gov't Mule/Little Feat swamp rock that just blew the roof off the place. When asked if that material would see the light of day, he just said, "nah, it goes back in the vault." This happened again and again. I cannot help but wonder if any of this will see the light of day.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RIP unpronounceable symbol

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Just noticed that on my Twitter feed. Sadly, he was only 57 years old.

Yeah......same age as me.....this SUCKS BIG TIME....he just played here in ATL last week or so.

Complications from the flu so I hear...

I'm not really a fan but am shocked. sorry to hear of his demise.

I am shattered. There is a clip of Prince leading his Wendy/Lisa band live at the release of Purple Rain that contains 17 minutes of some of the most astonishing music ever. I cannot find it online, but I found part of it online at some other location, but it is glorious!

https://vk.com/video?gid=24772809&z=...2Fpl_-24772809
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Out of the blue..., RIP Prince
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    RIP unpronounceable symbol
    The Artist Formerly Known As The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This is the message sent out:

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Yeah......same age as me.....this SUCKS BIG TIME....he just played here in ATL last week or so.

Complications from the flu so I hear...

Myocarditis can have flu-like symptoms. You would think his doctor would have been able to prevent something.

RIP.

Just too many talented people lost this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I never knew that was his real name.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I liked some of his hits but never a fan. RIP.

My wife worked with a woman whose aunt was Prince's hair and makeup person. She was from Prince's neighborhood. According to the niece, anytime his ego got of control, the aunt would put her hands on her hips and call him "Roger". It usually grounded him.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have friends that saw his last show a week ago at the Fox theater here and they said they never would have guessed anything could have been wrong.

Here's the whole show on Soundcloud/

https://soundcloud.com/misterpancakes/princelives

RIP

He was a GIANT.
    Last edited by Sean; 04-21-2016 at 02:58 PM.

I wasn't a fan per se', but respected the hell out of his talent, bon voyage...

thanks for that clip! Man could he play the shit out of a guitar!
    Last edited by gpeccary; 04-21-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    There is a clip of Prince leading his Wendy/Lisa band live at the release of Purple Rain that contains 17 minutes of some of the most astonishing music ever. I cannot find it online...
    This one?

http://uproxx.com/music/watch-prince...original-1983/

a recording of “Purple Rain” as it originally appeared has made its way onto the internet. Fans of the Purple One will notice that the original version is significantly longer and contains a third verse about money that was cut. The original is missing the strings that Prince later added, and the solo is a bit different.
    Someone also just uploaded a lower quality version, so grab it while it lasts on YouTube:

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno
    You may have heard the hubbub on Friday, first reported by TMZ, not necessarily the bastion of accuracy. Prince’s private plane made an emergency landing early Friday morning in Illinois as he was returning to the Twin Cities from two shows in Atlanta on Thursday. TMZ said he had the flu. (He had postponed the Atlanta show from the previous week because of the flu.)
    (this was originally quoted by Gruno - not his actual text)

I think TMZ doesn't get enough credit. They're very often the first to report on these types of things - they were first on this, e.g. - and they're rarely wrong.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Like others I was never a fan (part of that is probably due to ignorance), but I've always respected Prince for his talent and artistic integrity.

Ever since he burst on the scene around 1979/1980 everybody knew this was something new, even if he largely synthesized Michael Jackson, James Brown and Jimi Hendrix. But there was an edge to everything that made him a truly progressive artist.

RIP (again [emoji35])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I posted this on another board, but here it is again.

I was never a big Prince fan, but man could he play guitar and his immense talent was never of questions. RIP.

There are rumors going around he might have had AIDS but who knows.

Well, this blows. WTF is going on lately?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    (this was originally quoted by Gruno - not his actual text)

I think TMZ doesn't get enough credit.
    Agreed. People over a certain age remember tabloid journalism as being a place to drop rumors and speculation to get ratings. That was pre-internet/social media thinking - it's so easy to quickly de-bunk that stuff now. TMZ took the forward-thinking approach that there's enough actual things happening in the entertainment world to keep everyone interested - you just have to break the news first.

CURSE YOU 2016!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think TMZ doesn't get enough credit. They're very often the first to report on these types of things - they were first on this, e.g. - and they're rarely wrong.

11:27 AM PST -- The Carver County Sheriff's Office tells TMZ they are now investigating the circumstances of Prince's death. At this time, there are no signs of foul play.
    12:25 PM PT -- The Sheriff's department says Prince was found in an elevator at Paisley Park. They performed CPR, but were unable to revive him. He was pronounced dead on the scene at 10:07 AM Central Time.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-dead-at-57/

RIP

He just played Toronto like a week or so ago. Strangely, watching footage from the show I wondered rather morbidly, "I wonder when he is gonna go?" I've been trying to find samples of his work from the past decade or so, some of which is, gulp, 'proggy'. Unfortunately, the only way you can listen to his music is to buy his CDs (I'm not even sure if you can download anything). Go to YouTube and you can't even watch his music videos.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off