Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hard Rock and Heavy Metal: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Banned
    Alkana Welcome to My Paradise (1978)

Banned
    Angel s/t, 1975

Last edited by Svetonio; 04-29-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Banned

Banned

Banned
    ...A bit more of Yugo - Hard Rock / Heavy Metal...

good..
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

^ Nice.

I picked up the first Subsignal album, being a fan of Sieges Even, and dug it a lot. Somehow I'd managed to lose track of them and they fell off my radar. I'll have to remedy that and snag the rest of their catalog.

Anyone remember E-Z-O from Japan? Gene Simmons produced their debut album. I still really enjoy it. Didn't follow up with any of their later releases though.
    Can't find a video of my favorite song, "Desiree", besides a cover version with a guitar student. Bummer. Good stuff, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Truth be told though, back in the day in the UK, Sweet were never considered hard rock by hard rockers, because 90% of their album stuff was no harder than power pop. .
    To my ears Sweet seemed to through 3 distinct phases. The early albums / singles were mostly bubblegum pop. The only hit here in the U.S. from that period was “Little Willy” (that I ever heard anyway). Then about the time “Desolation Boulevard” was released they turned in a much harder rocking direction. Then the last couple of albums toyed with a little bit of prog (The full version of “Love Is Like Oxygen” is a good example), and a generally more mature (for lack of a better word) sound. I still love Sweet to this day and think they were vastly underrated. On the other hand, I had never even heard of Slade until Quiet Riot covered “Come On Feel The Noise”. They seemed to have a very small profile in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    On the other hand, I had never even heard of Slade until Quiet Riot covered “Come On Feel The Noise”. They seemed to have a very small profile in this country.
    "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" got airplay in Cleveland in the 70s.

Banned
    (...) The early albums / singles were mostly bubblegum pop. (...)
    It was called "glitter-rock" back in the day. The term is almost forgotten now, perhaps because that icon of the movement, Gary Glitter, now is a hated figure due to his sexual crimes. Now it is called glam-rock, although glam-rock the term originally referred to way more artsy stuff like David Bowie with his Ziggy Stardust persona, Marc Bolan & T. Rex, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Roxy Music and so on; there wasn't that artiness in glitter-rock stuff like Gary Glitter, Sweet, Suzi Quatro, Slade and so on.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 05-03-2016 at 04:32 AM.

To my ears Sweet seemed to through 3 distinct phases. The early albums / singles were mostly bubblegum pop. The only hit here in the U.S. from that period was “Little Willy” (that I ever heard anyway). Then about the time “Desolation Boulevard” was released they turned in a much harder rocking direction. Then the last couple of albums toyed with a little bit of prog (The full version of “Love Is Like Oxygen” is a good example), and a generally more mature (for lack of a better word) sound. I still love Sweet to this day and think they were vastly underrated. On the other hand, I had never even heard of Slade until Quiet Riot covered “Come On Feel The Noise”. They seemed to have a very small profile in this country.
    Yea, it's odd isn't it how certain bands translate across the pond and others don't. For example, back in the 70s and 80s bands like Kansas and Saga were to all intents and purposes unknown or at least hardly known in the UK. In fact, the first time I heard of Kansas was when my wife told me one day in 84 or 85 that she'd seen a Christian rock band called Kansas somewhere in Missouri in 83 and got the autograph of some dude called Kerry Livgren, who knew her friend, after the gig. At which point I turned down Neil blaring out Like A Hurricane and asked, "Who dafug are Kerry Livgren and Kansas?"

Flotsam and Jetsam's new album hit yesterday and is fucking fantastic. Flots till death.

Also...Vektor.
    Last edited by frinspar; 05-21-2016 at 12:55 AM.

the good! killer hard rock/metal debut from German trio Andromeda Zoo

Blood From A Stone (Andromeda Zoo/2016)

Nonumberland (Andromeda Zoo/2016)

Heritage (Andromeda Zoo/2016)

i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    ^ Nice.

I picked up the first Subsignal album, being a fan of Sieges Even, and dug it a lot. Somehow I'd managed to lose track of them and they fell off my radar. I'll have to remedy that and snag the rest of their catalog.
    do you have any of the 7for4 releases?
    i.ain't.dead.irock

a few keepers

The Counzil - Killer Clown (Never Too Old To Rock/2016)

Dust - Waiting For You (Soulburst/2016)

Freakshow - It's Really Over (Freakshow/2009)

i.ain't.dead.irock

ANGEL and THE GOOD RATS!!! You're pushin' all the right buttons with me!!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    ANGEL and THE GOOD RATS!!! You're pushin' all the right buttons with me!!!
    I still have the cassette that I recorded Angel's KBFH show on in 1976 via KSHE 95. the audio from The Fortune Svet posted is from that show. they played Chicken Soup, The Fortune and White Lightning. got the bootleg eventually. it was disappointing that The Fortune wasn't included on Live Without A Net but Tower was killer. love the chemistry between Barry and Greg on that live version...still gives me chills. KSHE used the beginning of it in their station ID for years.
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 06-19-2016 at 05:08 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Yeah, it's a damn shame Angel lost the script after their first two albums. Killer progressive stuff and then the songs got shorter and shriller and the production went down the tubes after that.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Yeah, it's a damn shame Angel lost the script after their first two albums. Killer progressive stuff and then the songs got shorter and shriller and the production went down the tubes after that.
    I guess Casablanca might have had something to do with that. I would never have guessed they were from DC. I thought Barry Brandt was a beast on the kit. Punky just released a new one last month but haven't got a clue what it sounds like.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

This is still an all-time favorite. They incorporated the jazz fusion into the metal so effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Pestilence - Spheres (1993)

This is still an all-time favorite. They incorporated the jazz fusion into the metal so effectively.
    I've been enjoying these two bands lately

Marching Mind - Reactivation (The Sickness and the Theory/2012)

Cirrha Niva - From Ego (Out of the Freakshow/2016)

tried any of these? (luv Bilbao Syndrome!!)

Sweet Tooth - Crash Live (1993) Suckerpunch

The Dr. Orphyus Project - An Introvert (2009) full album

Ever Forthright - Ever Forthright (2011) City Limits

Bilbao Syndrome - I-VI (2012) full album

Hesus Attor - Pardon (2013) Bezvezel

Haamoja - Natural Evolution (2015) full album

Counter-World Experience - Pulsar (2016) Alpha Serpentis
    i.ain't.dead.irock