Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Godzilla Trailer (release date July '16)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you guys like the movie War of the Gargantuas? That was also great to watch when I was a kid.
    Totally fangasmed over that when I was a kid!

You know what, I don't hate Final Wars at all. It is everything hyped to 11, like Michael Bay making a low-budget kaiju film. I mean hell...Rodan, Anguirus and King Caesar basically in a soccer match against Godzilla? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, YOU BEASTS

Minor factoid...most of the Toho films used a water set that has since been demolished (including the water pool that Godzilla so often rises from). So, this new film should certainly look a bit different from the previous films.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yep...Universal is attempting to "reboot" Kong with Skull Island in a few years, and has some sort of deal with Legendary that could make the match possible. Minor challenge with the sizes though: Kong is best known for scaling the Empire state and hanging from the antennae at the top, whereas the Legendary Godzilla is pretty much as tall as most skyscrapers. At those scales, the fight would pretty closely align with the "Bambi vs. Godzilla" film from many years ago
    As soon as they'll realise the potential box office of this match up they'll figure out everything that can be figured In that case the size doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    As soon as they'll realise the potential box office of this match up they'll figure out everything that can be figured In that case the size doesn't matter
    No doubt! Seeing as I'm more of a Godzilla than Kong fan, I'm pretty okay with just going with the match-up as is...Kong puffs his chest, and big G pretty much flicks him back into the ocean with one finger
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

No doubt! Seeing as I'm more of a Godzilla than Kong fan, I'm pretty okay with just going with the match-up as is...Kong puffs his chest, and big G pretty much flicks him back into the ocean with one finger
    Opening titles with Ifukube's fanfare. Kong hurls palm trees and coconuts. G blasts him. Credits.

Oh yeah...I actually own nearly all the Godzilla films currently available, save for five that are a bit harder to obtain in the states (including the first Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, which was a regular Saturday viewing back in my kiddie days).
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Same here. Been a fan since the '70s when I first watched 'em. Never stopped!
    Me too, since about '70/'71. Now, I got my 8 yr old kid into it and we've been to a couple G-Fests together (an annual Godzilla convention that draws between 2 - 3 thousand fans here in Chicago).

Back when they released the restored original Godzilla movie, I went to Film Forum on Canal Street to see a double feature of it with Destroy All Monsters. The audience was roaring with laughter during the opening narration of DaM, because it's friggin' hilariously bad. There was this Asian guy around 20 years old near the front, and every time people laughed, he looked around, really pissed off. Finally he got up and left through one of the fire exits. It seemed like he couldn't take people laughing at the movie. Bizarre.
    Y'know, this is going to sound really nerdy and train-spotterish, but the problem is that when the movies were released here in the 60's, the dubs were done by a production team called Titra and they were pretty good for the most part (think of the 60s/70s AIP movie studio releases). Then, because of rights issues, some time around the late 70s/ early 80s the AIP version of Destroy All Monsters stopped being shown. What you probably saw was the "international version" of DAM. This is the dubbing the Japanese did themselves in the 60s for export, but the American voice actors they got were so horrible; that's why AIP decided to spend the money on their own dubs which were vastly superior. Yeah, the "international dubs" are so horrendous that I find them unwatchable and I know exactly what you're talking about with that opening narration in DAM. You couldn't sound more stilted or stiff than that narration if you tried! Unfortunately, this is the version of DAM that is shown now on cable for the last several years (decades, actually) and has gotten the DVD releases.

I just go with subtitles on all the Toho films...except Godzilla vs. Megalon. You simply can't un-cheese that beauty.

I just go with subtitles on all the Toho films...except Godzilla vs. Megalon. You simply can't un-cheese that beauty.
    Saw that one in the theater when it came out, sixth grade (can still remember the three classmate buddies I saw it with!) and also remember watching it on NBC that year with John Belushi hosting in a Godzilla costume! Yeah, gloriously horrible dubbing on that one. One of my fave MST3K's is the Megalon ep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Saw that one in the theater when it came out, sixth grade (can still remember the three classmate buddies I saw it with!) and also remember watching it on NBC that year with John Belushi hosting in a Godzilla costume! Yeah, gloriously horrible dubbing on that one. One of my fave MST3K's is the Megalon ep.
    Apart from Godzilla (2014) and the one from '98 that shall not be mentioned, the only other G-film I've been able to catch in the theater is Godzilla 2000 aka Millennium.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Totally fangasmed over that when I was a kid!
    It was sort of comical and also sort of repulsive.

They're going to try to, after they take the 80s out of A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

War of the Gargantuas was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Surprised anyone remembers that. always seemed to be overlooked.
    Godzilla (2014) is great in 3D. Got a new 3D bluray for under $10 to test out the new 3D Epson projector and Oppo. Awesome!
    Again, I want really really bad engrish overdubs to this new one!!!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Not sure what year War of the Gargantuas is from. I might not have been a kid - I actually didn't discover it until much later than all the Godzilla, etc. movies. But still, it was quite a while ago.

^I think it was released in 1966.

Not sure what year War of the Gargantuas is from. I might not have been a kid - I actually didn't discover it until much later than all the Godzilla, etc. movies. But still, it was quite a while ago.
    That movie is great! It's a Toho film through and through (same director, spfx man, music composer, actors, etc; it has the vibe and feel of a classic 60's Godzilla film, natch). Russ Tamblyn is stoned throughout and looks totally indifferent. For a brief time, Toho was interested in getting second tier American actors to star in their monster films, probably thinking it would broaden the appeal across the pond. Tamblyn starred in War...Gargantuas, Nick Adams starred in Monster Zero (Featuring Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah) and Frankenstein Conquers the World (with a giant-sized Frankenstein... yes!!), and Rhodes Reason starred in King Kong Escapes. Then there was another 60s Toho flick called Latitude Zero which had the usual Toho Japanese cast plus Cesar Romero, Joseph Cotton, and other known Americans. That's a *really* off-the-wall film, complete with bat people and a flying lion! Hell yes!!

Looks cool, but why is G glowing red inside. Also his tail looks way too large.
    He's glowing because Fukushima is dumping 300 million gallons a day of radioactive water into the sea.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

That movie is great! It's a Toho film through and through (same director, spfx man, music composer, actors, etc; it has the vibe and feel of a classic 60's Godzilla film, natch). Russ Tamblyn is stoned throughout and looks totally indifferent. For a brief time, Toho was interested in getting second tier American actors to star in their monster films, probably thinking it would broaden the appeal across the pond. Tamblyn starred in War...Gargantuas, Nick Adams starred in Monster Zero (Featuring Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah) and Frankenstein Conquers the World (with a giant-sized Frankenstein... yes!!), and Rhodes Reason starred in King Kong Escapes. Then there was another 60s Toho flick called Latitude Zero which had the usual Toho Japanese cast plus Cesar Romero, Joseph Cotton, and other known Americans. That's a *really* off-the-wall film, complete with bat people and a flying lion! Hell yes!!
    Totally forgot Russ Tamblyn was in it!

Here's the 2nd trailer for the new Godzilla movie, released this Friday in Japan. The good news is that distributor Funimation is going to handle the Americas for the movie and will see to it that it gets a limited run in late 2016, so at least we Yanks get a chance to see it on the big screen.

Hard to tell if this looks any good or not. The parts where they aren't showing Gojira look deadly boring and serious.

Hard to tell if this looks any good or not. The parts where they aren't showing Gojira look deadly boring and serious.
    Yeah, I hear you but I think they're just going for a vibe in the trailer. I'm hoping this one knocks it out of the park (I was at G-Fest here in Chicago two weekends ago with my 8yr old boy -- and even 2yr old girl at the end of the weekend, when things were less chaotic... she loved it), on a bit of a G high at the moment.

Even though the movie itself is released Friday, there was a big red carpet premiere yesterday in Tokyo. Apparently the reviews are very good indeed (and I love how, in the photos, the red carpet is as long as Godzilla is supposed to be tall): http://www.scified.com/news/shin-god...world-premiere

I'll be there opening night when it's stateside!

Even though the movie itself is released Friday, there was a big red carpet premiere yesterday in Tokyo.[/url]
    Did they have a guy in a Godzilla suit walk the red carpet?

Did they have a guy in a Godzilla suit walk the red carpet?
    Apparently they didn't. The whole red carpet ceremony was streamed live (and is available for viewing; I haven't seen it) and I saw on a few formus that lots of fans were hoping for that but it didn't happen. (It would have been cool to have Godzilla himself walking the red carpet!)

Yeah, that would've been sweet!

Minor happiness, in case folks didn't know, but a company has picked up US Distribution for Shin Gojira. So, sometime probably in the fall, it'll be available for us domestic types to enjoy

http://www.firstshowing.net/2016/jap...ate-this-year/