Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett: What are the essential albums for a novice?

Yeah I'm not saying Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth is a bad album, not at all. I think the only album I wouldn't care is Darktown, it doen't appeal to my taste.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Aside from his first four (essential, as already noted) I really enjoy Guitar Noir and Darktown

I have to say, I have yet to hear a 'rock' album from Hackett that I didn't like to at least some degree (I haven't heard much of his 'classical' work).

Banned
    I'd like to recommend To Watch The Storms from 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Of course, he has a ton of live releases as well, most of which offer a fairly good glimpse into the world of Hackett.
    Right on, all great, one of my favourites still is 'Somewhere In South America', brilliant production too. And my favourite recording of 'Sierra Quemada' is right there, love that Guitar Noir track.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think it's the reverb-heavy production aesthetic of his recent albums (starting with, I guess, Wild Orchids) which definitely has a certain 'sameness'. I'd like to see that change, to be honest.
    No one has informed Steve that a huge, gated snare sound should not be heard on any album post 1989.

I get that he's going for an 'epic' sound but that reverb-with-everything sound is getting a little samey now. It was even on the Squackett album. I do, however, still like the actual music, but perhaps a different production approach might freshen things up a bit.

RE; Guitar Noir. That has some of my favourite instrumentals of his. 'Sierra Quemada', 'Walking Away From Rainbows' and 'Tristesse'. I'd forgotten all about how wonderful the latter was until an earlier thread on here concerning Hackett.

Darktown has another favourite, 'Twice Around The Sun'. I suppose in some ways Darktown is a template for his subsequent work...it's the first one with Roger King.

And here's one to completely avoid: Blues with a Feeling. Not only is it a bad Hackett album, it's an even worse Blues album.

IMHO: Must haves:
    Voyage
    Spectral
    Bay of Kings
    Beyond the Shrouded Horizon
    Defector

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    And here's one to completely avoid: Blues with a Feeling. Not only is it a bad Hackett album, it's an even worse Blues album.
    This is true. I own it only for completion's sake.

Sometimes when I'm at work, my wife will close her eyes and wave her arms around, randomly choosing a CD from the shelf that she's likely never heard before. A couple of weeks ago, it was Blues With A Feeling.... that was a mistake! Of course, this past week it was Gentle Giant's Civilian, which didn't exactly make her a fan of the band. Hopefully her luck improves.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^At this rate, it'll be Love Beach or Open Your Eyes next!

I've never had any interest in Blues With A Feeling so haven't heard it. Like Hackett, like the blues...don't really need to hear the two at once!

^At this rate, it'll be Love Beach or Open Your Eyes next!

I've never had any interest in Blues With A Feeling so haven't heard it. Like Hackett, like the blues...don't really need to hear the two at once!
    I don't have Love Beach, and Open Your Eyes is near the bottom (both figuratively and literally) of my collection so I don't see that happening soon!

I recommend you continue on your quest to not own Blues With A Feeling.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I recommend you continue on your quest to not own Blues With A Feeling.

What do we think of Cured? I'm perversely fond of that one.

What do we think of Cured? I'm perversely fond of that one.
    Well, let's just say my original 1989 CD is good enough, and I'll not be replacing it if there's some deluxe edition in the future! ... but you aren't alone, there was a guy in the lineup when we met Steve (for free) after an acoustic gig ten years ago who had the Cured LP ready for Steve to sign. It's actually okay in places ("Air Conditioned Nightmare", "Cradle Of Swans")... but to me it's the beginning of Steve's 'weak' period.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    AFAIC, it's Louisiana style blues from start to finish.

For those who didn't yet purchased Cured 2007 Remaster edition, I recommend it just for Second Chance (B Side), The Air-Conditioned Nightmare (Live At The Reading Festival), and also Tales Of The Riverbank (B Side), the latter is one of those interesting Hackett acoustic guitar tunes that I like too, it pretty much resembles Fernando Sor on his Variations on A Theme Of Mozart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Right on, all great, one of my favourites still is 'Somewhere In South America', brilliant production too. And my favourite recording of 'Sierra Quemada' is right there, love that Guitar Noir track.
    Love Somewhere in Sounth AMerica----and Sierra---although I have other good live versions of this great instrumental.

For those who didn't yet purchased Cured 2007 Remaster edition, I recommend it just for Second Chance (B Side), The Air-Conditioned Nightmare (Live At The Reading Festival), and also Tales Of The Riverbank (B Side), the latter is one of those interesting Hackett acoustic guitar tunes that I like too, it pretty much resembles Fernando Sor on his Variations on A Theme Of Mozart.
    "Second Chance" and "Tales Of The Riverbank" are lovely pieces of music, but I've already got those on Bay Of Kings.

I do think Highly Strung is a better album than Cured, but Hackett is singing way out of his natural range on both that and Cured.

"Second Chance" and "Tales Of The Riverbank" are lovely pieces of music, but I've already got those on Bay Of Kings.
    Yes indeed, thanks for reminding me of that. Bay of Kings sure deserved even more a Remaster Edition, I guess still not released, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Here's the answer, out soon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Classic-Al...0821790&sr=1-3

Rick Wakeman one out too.

mmmhhh!!!... Good price, but no thanks (I got all I need), but they (understandably) skipped Cured and included Highly Strung
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Please Don't Touch is wonderful - great vocals from Steve Walsh, Randy Crawford and Richie Havens.

Spectral Mornings and Defector are pretty good, though I hate his 'jokey' tracks. I am one of the few who love 'Cured', and Highly Strung has its moments. Other albums have great tracks like Sierra Quemada on Guitar Noir and Life in the Movies on the Guitar Speak 3 compilation album. Great that he's still recording new muysic every year or so (take note Mr Gabriel!).

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post

Spectral Mornings and Defector are pretty good, though I hate his 'jokey' tracks.
    That's why I do not appreciate Defector at all (I find only The Steppes really worthy... of Spectral Mornings)... especially on the flipside.

Actually, if The Steppes had replaced Decomposing Man on SM, it would be a 5¨album for me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes indeed, thanks for reminding me of that. Bay of Kings sure deserved even more a Remaster Edition, I guess still not released, correct me if I'm wrong please.
    It was reissued in 2003 with different cover artwork, a couple of bonus tracks and some mp3s on it if you put the disc in your computer. In the liner notes, it says "Mastered by Ian Anderson"...?

Tales of the Riverbank isn't one of Hackett's compositions it's actually Andante in C by Mauro Giuliani, latterly popularised by it's use on the tales tv show though that wasn't Hackett's version. I first heard it on BBC Radio 1 when Simon Mayo used to use it for one of his breakfast show segments in the eighties.

Most people will recommend the early albums which I agree are all great, but I think Hackett has really been on a roll since “Darktown” back in 1999 and have really enjoyed pretty much everything he has put out since. “Out Of The Tunnels Mouth”, “Beyond The Shrouded Horizon”, “To Watch The Storms”, “Wild Orchids” are all excellent IMO.

Hackett has been one of the most consistent artists in my collection over the years as I think just about everything he has put out has been at the very least decent. I even like his blues album.