Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Frank Zappa: Better with the Mothers?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Penis Dimension' is his finest achievement.
    Eight inches or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    He published his autobiography a couple of years ago, which is a major hoot. He blows Zappa's drug-free image by revealing that FZ shared a joint with the band on an occasion or two. I have the impression that FZ actually had no interest in getting high, he was just trying to get his "employees" to accept him as a regular guy.
    Not sure he really blew his image. I seem to recall FZ saying in the Real FZ book that he smoked pot four times, but didn't like it because it made him sleepy.

Agree that Kaylan's book is a fun read.

Last I heard he was living in the Seattle area.

In the Real FZ Book FZ wrote that he smoked pot around ten times between 1962 and 1968, while Kaylan claims FZ smoked with him in 1971.

IMO Zappa was a brilliant creative genius that didn't need herb to inspire him or make him more creative - he had it naturally and drugs would just slow him down. I think some drugs are inspirational to some folks but for someone like FZ they were unnecessary. At least that is my perception.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    IMO Zappa was a brilliant creative genius that didn't need herb to inspire him or make him more creative - he had it naturally and drugs would just slow him down. I think some drugs are inspirational to some folks but for someone like FZ they were unnecessary. At least that is my perception.
    Some people use drugs to deal with their personal demons. Frank used music.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And workaholicism, which his music could be seen as a form of.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And caffeine and nicotine.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Which helped him maintain his workaholic habit.

One of the Zappa kids - it might have been Dweezil - had a story about how his particular family chore was to make sure that Frank never ran out of coffee. He'd wake up, and the first thing he'd do is to get the coffee-maker going, and he did this repeatedly all day. When they got low on bags of grind, he'd keep tabs and put it on Gail's shopping list, and she'd make sure to get more. And I suspect that slacking on this was not a mistake that any of them made twice - Frank could get pretty damn grouchy when crossed, and running out of coffee when it was your job to supply it would probably count as crossing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post

One of the Zappa kids - it might have been Dweezil - had a story about how his particular family chore was to make sure that Frank never ran out of coffee. He'd wake up, and the first thing he'd do is to get the coffee-maker going, and he did this repeatedly all day. When they got low on bags of grind, he'd keep tabs and put it on Gail's shopping list, and she'd make sure to get more. And I suspect that slacking on this was not a mistake that any of them made twice - Frank could get pretty damn grouchy when crossed, and running out of coffee when it was your job to supply it would probably count as crossing him.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if that would piss Frank off. That scenario seems highly likely.
    <sig out of order>

The coffee also had to be "industrial strength". I don't know if that meant the flavor or just the caffeine content - French Roast or Celebes Kalossi taste strong, but actually contain less caffeine than the cheaper grades of robusta-heavy American Diner Java.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about those

But I meant drugs that fuck with 'yer head.

The coffee also had to be "industrial strength". I don't know if that meant the flavor or just the caffeine content - French Roast or Celebes Kalossi taste strong, but actually contain less caffeine than the cheaper grades of robusta-heavy American Diner Java.
    I've heard stories about Zappa keeping a thermos full of espresso at his side while working. Couldn't say how accurate that is, though.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

When they got low on bags of grind, he'd keep tabs and put it on Gail's shopping list, and she'd make sure to get more.
    According to Pauline Butcher's book, which I'm currently reading, Gail didn't do jack squat in terms of shopping or cleaning. That was left to employees like her or hangers-on like the GTOs.

I imagine Frank took caffeine withdrawal pretty damn seriously, or else he'd have written a song about it. I stopped drinking black tea and soda pop because I got tired of the withdrawal headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about those

But I meant drugs that fuck with 'yer head.
    Yo've obviously never experienced a withdrawal headache.