Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prog Demographics Part 5: Genesis vs ELP?

Prog Demographics Part 5: Genesis vs ELP?

Prog Demographics Part 5: Genesis vs. ELP. Which do you prefer?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Easiest one yet, a no-brainer for me. Genesis has been my favourite band for 35 years. I do really like ELP up to Brain Salad Surgery, but then they completely drop off for me. Whereas with Genesis I listen to their entire output from the early pre-FGTR demos straight through to the Calling All Stations leftover tracks and everything in between.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Phil Collins 4ever!

ELP over Genesis for me
    Still alive and well...

Where is the thread about hating Vs. threads? That OP's nightmare is coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Where is the thread about hating Vs. threads? That OP's nightmare is coming true.
    You have free will, as a Canadian band once stated. You are free to join in and have a little fun or simply sit it out. Why such a dilemma for you?

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    You have free will, as a Canadian band once stated. You are free to join in and have a little fun or simply sit it out. Why such a dilemma for you?
    Right on man! Love when this forum turns out a PA'S Just For Fun

You're right, I'll leave your far-too-numerous threads alone.

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyMan View Post
    Well, you cannot talk about the stale prog topics that permeate this site every day, I would think. If you would like a change occasionally, I can come up with topics a lot more fun then these. The choice is yours. Or I can stick to serious prog topics only, ad infinitum. I've worked and talked with enough prog artists over the last 45 years to do so, so it's no sweat for me. Again, whatever you prefer is fine with me.

Count again, there's only 5 of them. Not the fifty that I'm sure you imagine and is totally ruining your day. LOL! That made my day, btw.

Genesis has more lasting power, for me. ELP were revolutionary and startling in their day, but they rather quickly wore out their welcome. Whereas Genesis was a bit more subtle in their approach, took a bit longer to understand what they were doing and my appreciation for them has only grown over the past four decades.

I can come up with topics a lot more fun then these.
    Oh! , big mouth strikes again, where are them BTW?

This ain't true, the Prog community is needing some FUN, that thread should have been called 'Fun Vs. Way too serious threads'.

Oh! , big mouth strikes again, where are them BTW?

I've got a few about Dave Cousins, Annie Haslam and Roy Harper for a start. But that's not the point.

The point is your ludicrous site name. I can't think of the antithesis of harmony than you. Please change it to something more appropriate like Disharmony Man.

And if you want me to drop bigger names (which is crass) request it with a PM. Or blow away and stop making an ass of yourself.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 04-16-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Genesis, definitely.

Love them both, but for overall career I would have to go with Genesis.

Haha
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Haha
    Well, I've got over 350 topics that were never posted on PA. Posting all 350 in one day on PE day should put 100423 off PE for a few years, I should think.

Well, the plain truth is this: PA does have way more class that PE. But PE does have it's antisocial reputation, so I guess balances out in some parallel universe.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 04-16-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Never got Genesis despite giving them more chances than anyone else. Just found the songs so bland! No masterpieces of note. Albums with some great songs and also filler. lacking in consistency and it's easy to understand why never broke into playing Arenas & Stadia until the pop years!
    ELP had more talent without dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Never got Genesis despite giving them more chances than anyone else. Just found the songs so bland! No masterpieces of note. Albums with some great songs and also filler. lacking in consistency and it's easy to understand why never broke into playing Arenas & Stadia until the pop years!
    ELP had more talent without dispute!
    I have to agree that these are diametrically opposed bands despite both being prog standard bearers and extremely well liked. I like both equally, surprisingly, but I can't listen to one right after the other. ELP on one day, and Genesis on the next!

Genesis. Both bands went to hell, so you can't say one or the other collapsed into tedium. Strictly from a 70s point of view, Genesis in both Gabriel and Collins incarnations had some splendid albums. ELP can start sounding annoyingly sterile after awhile.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Genesis for me. Although I don't think anything of theirs quite matched the peak of Brain Salad Surgery, other than Trilogy and maybe their first two ELP had little else of sufficient quality to compare with the run of 11 studio LPs from Trespass to s/t.

No longer a huge fan of either, but I think ELP shades it. Listened to stuff I hadn't heard in years in the wake of Keith's passing and some of it wasn't at all bad.

yup

Well, I'd rather not.... That's why I more or less left PA's forum a long time ago.

This ain't true, the Prog community is needing some FUN, that thread should have been called 'Fun Vs. Way too serious threads'.
    Seriously dude??

Well, I've got over 350 topics that were never posted on PA. Posting all 350 in one day on PE day should put 100423 off PE for a few years, I should think.

Well, the plain truth is this: PA does have way more class that PE. But PE does have it's antisocial reputation, so I guess balances out in some parallel universe.
    Uuuh!!!... Steve, now aware of your still-recent family drama affecting your behaviour, I think PA Admins might welcome you again (actually, some of your bigger detractors there more or less openly admitted in the Collab Zone that they missed you once you've "left")
    So don't let anyone stop you to move back to a "classier" hang-out place.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Well, I'd rather not.... That's why I more or less left PA's forum a long time ago.
    And I thought you were 'Sean Trane' over there, seriously you'd rather not, ...dude?? hummm..

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Seriously dude??
    I can never be serious on these 'Just For Fun'-like Hit vs Shit threads, dude.

Last edited by HarmonyMan; 04-16-2016 at 07:37 PM.