Thread: Jaki Liebzeit Drumset question

Jaki Liebzeit Drumset question

I have seen two days ago Jaki Liebzeit and Hans Joachim Irmler in concert.
    I was really astonished to see that Liebzeit played without HiHat, Bass drum, and snare. He used four toms and three cymbals. Great sound btw
    Has he always used this kind of unorthodox drumsets ? Just from memory I would say there are bass drum, snare and HiHat on Can records.

I don't know the answer to your question but tell us more about this incredible meeting of two Krautrock legends. Was Irmler hidden behind his keyboards as usual?

He played a standard kit thoughout his time with Can. For example:

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

It was part of the Sonic Protest Festival in Paris. The sound for the duo concert was unbalanced. Irmler (who was actually a bit hidden behind his keyboards ) had a strong loud distorted Moog sound which kind of drowned Liebzeits drumming. A bit frustrated Irmler made signs to bring up Jaki in the monitor but it didn't work. For the second half he played much softer which wasn't really a solution in terms of dynamics. All in all a frustrating set, even so it was great to see them live.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Drums?

I thought he was a bass player. Czukay's the drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    He played a standard kit thoughout his time with Can. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QLL2j8ZtxE
    Here's a much better quality upload of the same video:

Czuckay is the bass-player and Jaki Liebezeit the drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Czuckay is the bass-player
    ...until he switched to playing radio & electronics, and Rosko Gee was brought in as bassist.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ...until he switched to playing radio & electronics, and Rosko Gee was brought in as bassist.

He also plays guitar, synthesizer and flugelhorn, while Liebezeit also plays bass, guitar, organ and piano.

Czuckay is the bass-player and Jaki Liebezeit the drummer.
    I guess you didn't watch the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I guess you didn't watch the video.
    No, but I know my stuff.

I actually found the answer on the German wiki side. He plays nowadays a drum kit without pedals explaining the absence of hi hat and Bass drum .The absence of snare is a sound choice I suppose. it's an interesting sound very africain in a way.
    Jaki Liebezeit spielt ein von ihm selbst modifiziertes Schlagzeug ohne Pedale. Zu seiner rhythmischen Auffassung sagt er: „Du musst monoton spielen, also immer wieder das gleiche, den gleichen rhythmischen Zyklus wiederholen, wiederholen, wiederholen. Dann entsteht Groove.“ Oder wie es der Can-Kollege Holger Czukay formulierte: „Jaki spielt wie eine Maschine. Bloß besser.“

I love the idea that the groove comes from the Wiederholen, Wiederholen, Wiederholen - the "better than a machine" quip by Czukay made me think of what Bernard Coquelet says about groove, namely that groove comes from the way an experienced musician will play a rhythm slightly before or after the beat. Coquelet claims that "groove is an artistic element, that is to say human" - almost the complete antithesis, in other words, of how Czukay & Liebezeit are saying Jaki creates the groove.

Sweet time indeed!

Eno's "Backwater" features hi-hat by Liebezeit. I'm trying to remember if there were any other drums on it.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I actually found the answer on the German wiki side. He plays nowadays a drum kit without pedals explaining the absence of hi hat and Bass drum .The absence of snare is a sound choice I suppose. it's an interesting sound very africain in a way.
    Jaki Liebezeit spielt ein von ihm selbst modifiziertes Schlagzeug ohne Pedale. Zu seiner rhythmischen Auffassung sagt er: „Du musst monoton spielen, also immer wieder das gleiche, den gleichen rhythmischen Zyklus wiederholen, wiederholen, wiederholen. Dann entsteht Groove.“ Oder wie es der Can-Kollege Holger Czukay formulierte: „Jaki spielt wie eine Maschine. Bloß besser.“
    Just listen to "Halleluhwah", no machine could ever do that: Repeat (exactly) the same beat for more than 18 minutes and sound so natural and alive.
    This is simply one of the most amazing drum perfomances ever!

No, but I know my stuff.

GAH! I guess you have to click on it.

http://s3.postimg.org/57q293qlt/holgerjaki.gif
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 04-18-2016 at 04:59 PM.