Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prog Demographics Part 4: Jethro Tull vs. Rush

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kum Ruzvelt View Post
    Rush has always been a way bigger deal in North America than Europe.
    You may be right, but I remember reading comments (somewhere) from UK Rush fans bemoaning the fact that Rush so rarely played there, and then at some point Rush finally did (another?) tour there and people were rejoicing. But the number of people might have been relatively small, I don't know.

EDIT: I see you say Mainland Europe. That may be.

It's pretty obvious that Serbia was deprived of being educated on what it means to be "a True Rush Fan" by Skullhead, so you have to cut them some slack.

Jethro Tull, very easy choice for me.

Unlike Tull, I think Rush music could be mostly perceived as boring-ass music to Serbian rock music fans. Plus most people wouldn't like Geddy Lee's weird voice.
    So Serbians would be bored by Rush, but would revel in the intricacies of such rock songs as Steel Monkey, Kissing Willie, Rattlesnake Trail, Doctor To My Disease, Still Loving You Tonight, etc. etc.? What a country.

As for the original question, I think '70s Tull is better than '70s Rush, but that '80s Rush blows away '80s Tull. I'll call the '90s a mostly uninteresting draw, but then give Rush the edge over the Ian Anderson albums that came out in the 2000s-present. And from 1980 until Tull disbanded, Rush was been the much better live band.

JT anytime.
    I dont own any albums with Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Impossible for me to choose as I love them both. I guess it might be Rush by a nod since I own all of their albums, but do not own all of Tull’s. I have seen Rush live quite a few more times as well. Tull’s hey day was just slightly ahead of my time as I did not really discover them until the early 80’s while Rush was part of the soundtrack of my life right from the beginning. I guess I will give it to Rush, but I love both of them.
    This is pretty much what I would have written.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

... and pretty much in most of mainland Europe.
    I am pretty confident that they were already in the 80's a huge name in Germany.

In Greece a lot of people discovered them in the 90's via prog-metal and there is a quite significant audience of religiously devoted fans.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You may be right, but I remember reading comments (somewhere) from UK Rush fans bemoaning the fact that Rush so rarely played there, and then at some point Rush finally did (another?) tour there and people were rejoicing. But the number of people might have been relatively small, I don't know.

EDIT: I see you say Mainland Europe. That may be.
    Despite the fact that Alex Lifeson(Zivojinovic) is Serbian Canadian, Rush did nothing in Serbia, they never cracked here.
    Plus Lifeson never cared to visit(alone or with Rush) a country where he originate from.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I am pretty confident that they were already in the 80's a huge name in Germany.

In Greece a lot of people discovered them in the 90's via prog-metal and there is a quite significant audience of religiously devoted fans.
    No way they were/are huge in Germany. They had some audience and they are a relatively known band there and maybe American soldiers who has been stationed in Germany during the 80's is a main reason for that. But I'm pretty sure they are an unknown name in all Eastern Bloc countries and Balkans. They are mostly unfamous in Australia also.
    In Europe Britain is the only country where Rush have a pretty solid fanbase. Brits ignored a big majority of American classic rock bands but they adopted Canadians - Rush.

No way they were/are huge in Germany. They had some audience and they are a relatively known band there and maybe American soldiers who has been stationed in Germany during the 80's is a main reason for that. But I'm pretty sure they are an unknown name in all Eastern Bloc countries and Balkans. They are mostly unfamous in Australia also.
    In Europe Britain is the only country where Rush have a pretty solid fanbase. Brits ignored a big majority of American classic rock bands but they adopted Canadians - Rush.
    Perhaps because they took the trouble to tour here?

No way they were/are huge in Germany.
    I just checked Wiki and all their albums from Grace Under Pressure onwards have charted, some of them quiet high. Which has to be counted as an achievement for a rock band.

Rush played on a big Dutch rock-festival and Geddy Lee was interviewed for a Dutch musicians magazine. Besides I heard them regulary in a Dutch prog-show and the can still be heard on a Dutch classic rock station. And one of their songs 'Spirit of radio' still is in a Top 2000 of popular songs of all time.

Tull for me. Started listening to them in High School in the mid 70's... Never got into Rush. If's funny I love Jon Anderson's voice but Getty Lee's made me cringe. I will give Rush their props, they are good musicians (Pert was great) and were much more popular than Tull they just never clicked for me.

Rush had five great LP's:
    A Farewell To Kings
    Hemispheres
    Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures

Tull had five great LP's:
    Aqualung
    Thick As A Brick
    A Passion Play
    Songs From The Wood
    Heavy Horses

But Tull had LOTS of very good LP's (Benefit, Stormwatch, Stand Up, Warchild, Minstrel In The Gallery). Rush had two (Caress Of Steel and Signals).

Jethro Tull for me!!! But it's actually pretty close.
    The Prog Corner

I still think this is a ridiculous comparison.

Next, let's compare water with air.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I still think this is a ridiculous comparison.

Next, let's compare water with air.

I prefer water from the 70s, but the air was definitely better in the 80s.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So this is about who we like better? Since they're nothing alike... Well I like Tull a lot, and absolutely love 'Thick as a Brick. Rush? Honestly, I haven't heard much by them. I've liked what I've heard, but have never been moved to buy a cd, just not quite my thing, although I vaguely recall having an early Rush album when I was a kid, the one with 'Lakeside Park', which is the only song I recall. I know they got a lot better after, remember a cool song called 'Trees'. But... too many things I like better I guess, although I have cranked & enjoyed the rare things I've heard on the radio by them.

Rush. I'm 31 years old and I've tried to get into Jethro Tull ever since I first heard Aqualung as a teenager.

But somehow, I just...can't

Feel like you're at the Renaissance Festival when you listen?

It’s Kum Ruzvelt’s fault for dredging this thread up from two years ago! However, having a PE member in Serbia is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It’s Kum Ruzvelt’s fault for dredging this thread up from two years ago! However, having a PE member in Serbia is worth it.
    Why, you thinking of traveling there soon?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Why, you thinking of traveling there soon?
    No, I’m just pro-diversity.

Wasn't Svetonio from Serbia?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

These were two of my three gateway bands into prog (along with Yes). I like both bands but I'd say Tull by quite a bit - that run from Stand Up through Stormwatch is mighty.
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by joeymakesmusic View Post
    Rush. I'm 31 years old and I've tried to get into Jethro Tull ever since I first heard Aqualung as a teenager.

But somehow, I just...can't
    This is me, but 17 years older. It's not our fault.

Apples & Oranges