Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prog Demographics Part 4: Jethro Tull vs. Rush

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Apples & Oranges
    I pick oranges! Never cared for apples.

I think I like water and air in equal measure. Can not say that for Tull and Rush. Tull is my second favorite band next to Yes. Rush has always been one of those bands I would call technically brilliant (proficient, I think is the word) and creatively shallow. And Ian Anderson can write lyrics which Pert did not do well at all. In fact, Rush should have outsourced like KC and ELP.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    And Ian Anderson can write lyrics which Pert did not do well at all.
    I think Peart's a great lyricist. But, it is hard to compare anyone to Ian Anderson.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think I like water and air in equal measure. Can not say that for Tull and Rush. Tull is my second favorite band next to Yes. Rush has always been one of those bands I would call technically brilliant (proficient, I think is the word) and creatively shallow. And Ian Anderson can write lyrics which Pert did not do well at all. In fact, Rush should have outsourced like KC and ELP.
    Can we take it that there’s not even a single Rush song you like? May well be, just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    I pick oranges! Never cared for apples.
    Snails and oysters?

Just caught up with this thread, and the only thing I would add, is that the name is Peart. Pert was a shampoo.

I'll leave it up to others to figure out where my loyalties are.

That said, I have about 75 percent of the Tull catalog and I even saw him once in the 90's which I don't really count.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    him
    Him?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Wait a minute... you think Ian Anderson generally writes *good* lyrics?

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    JT anytime.
    I dont own any albums with Rush.
    I can see that Tull were a much bigger deal in Denmark than Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Tull for me. Started listening to them in High School in the mid 70's... Never got into Rush. If's funny I love Jon Anderson's voice but Getty Lee's made me cringe. I will give Rush their props, they are good musicians (Pert was great) and were much more popular than Tull they just never clicked for me.
    Rush were much more popular than Tull in America, but in Europe it was the other way around.

Rash vs Spinal Tull

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I wish these geezer bands would stop fighting. Can't we all just get along?

Apples and oranges? I prefer peaches.

Tull more long lasting for me, and is more diverse, but I like some good Rush every now and then.

I can see liking Rush more if you were a teenager when they broke out.

Over 2 years dead, and this zombie thread lives again!

Well, as long as it's hungry for brains, I'll post.

Tull, not even close. And they are not even a top 10 band for me.

I was a Rush fan for a about a minute during their 'prog-ish' period, but very soon lost interest. A couple songs still partially hold up, but overall, they (for me) come off as a bit sophomoric, even despite their good musicianship.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

i love both bands, but Rush never came close to the progressive theatrics of Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play.

Tull had their distinctive and quite pleasant style but if I'd mix up the vinyls and put in the wrong sleeves I wouldn't really have noticed... Sound, melodies, arrangements didn't "progress". Rash have been all over the place, for good and bad, but IMHO their peaks were definitely far above anything from IA & Co

Rash have been all over the place,
    Sorry, I just read this now, whilst baked.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Sorry, I just read this now, whilst baked.....

Just played:
    Rush - Caress of steel
    Now playing
    Jethro Tull -Aqualung

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Just played:
    Rush - Caress of steel
    Now playing
    Jethro Tull -Aqualung
    I played COS last night. I'm on a 70s, heavy, power trio binge over the last several weeks. Not sure I'd say COS is my favorite Rush album but I'll take it over Signals or anything tha came after.

Tull? Haven't played any Tull in years. I'll probably go on a Tull binge some day. Like Rush, I prefer 60s/70s Tull.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Tull had their distinctive and quite pleasant style but if I'd mix up the vinyls and put in the wrong sleeves I wouldn't really have noticed... Sound, melodies, arrangements didn't "progress". Rash have been all over the place, for good and bad, but IMHO their peaks were definitely far above anything from IA & Co
    I would have to completely and respectfully disagree. Just within the span of Minstrel through Heavy Horses....you have the raw elements on Minstrel, some strings on Too Old plus huge stylistic changes, Wood adding many different elements especially in the keyboard textures, then Horses adding D. Palmer strings....the A completely changing sounds/approach again with Jobson, to Broadsword changing yet again with PJV, etc etc. All of this imo but these all have distinctive yet original arrangements and you can travel all the way back to This Was and see the transformation with each subsequent album.....Passion Play very different from Brick, and yet both complete concept albums.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I still think this is a ridiculous comparison.

Next, let's compare water with air.

Creedence Clearwater Revival versus Air Supply? CCR

CCR versus Curved Air? CCR again.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post

I can see liking Rush more if you were a teenager when they broke out.
    My face cleared up, but I still like Rush.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Creedence Clearwater Revival versus Air Supply? CCR

CCR versus Curved Air? CCR again.
    No, Curved Air all the way.