Thread: Yes Fragile/Drama Rhino releases

Yes Fragile/Drama Rhino releases

I see to coincide with their UK tour Rhino are releasing these albums on vinyl. I already have the Friday Music remaster vinyl which sound great but the reproduction of the artwork is not very good. I would be very disappointed if I ordered these Rhino albums and the artwork had the same "blurriness" of the Friday releases.

Banned
    Are these Wilson remixes in 5.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Are these Wilson remixes in 5.1?
    I do hope not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    I do hope not.
    Then it is a waste of money. The real release is this fall which includes the original mixes:

YES – FRAGILE Remixed in HD 5.1 & Stereo – Deluxe Bluray & DVD-As out 30th Oct

Fragile is the fourth in a series of remixed & expanded Yes Classics. The album has been remixed for 5.1 Surround Sound and Stereo from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson & is fully approved by Yes.

Release date: Oct 30th 2015 as Deluxe BluRay-CD package (has the most features) or Deluxe DVD-A-CD package. More details below.

The Definitive Edition Blu-Ray Disc features:

– Album mixed in 24-96 5.1 PCM Surround Sound & in DTS-HD MA 5.1 from original multi-track sources.
    – New Album mix in High Resolution Stereo
    – Original Album mix (flat transfer) in High Resolution Stereo
    – Six additional tracks

– Original Roger Dean artwork expanded & restored with material from the Roger Dean archive & with full approval of the artist.
    – Presented as a 2 x digi-pack format in a slipcase with new sleeve notes by writer Sid Smith along with rare photos & archive material.

Blu-Ray exclusives

– Full album instrumental mixes by Steven Wilson
    – Two additional alternate takes
    – A full album needle-drop of an original UK vinyl pressing
    – US promo singles edits as needle-drops.

Fragile
    DVD-A/CD

The Definitive Edition DVD-A Disc features:

– Album mixed in 24-96 5.1 DTS Lossless Surround from original multi-track sources.
    – New Album mix in High Resolution Stereo
    – Original Album mix (flat transfer) in High Resolution Stereo
    – Six additional tracks

– Original Roger Dean artwork expanded & restored with material from the Roger Dean archive & with full approval of the artist.
    – Presented as a 2 x digi-pack format in a slipcase with new sleeve notes by writer Sid Smith along with rare photos & archive material.

PERSONNEL

Jon Anderson
    Vocals

Bill Bruford
    Percussion

Steve Howe
    Guitars, Vocals

Chris Squire
    Bass, Vocals

Rick Wakeman
    Keyboards
    Original Track Listing

01 Roundabout
    02 Cans & Brahms
    03 We Have Heaven
    04 South Side of the Sky
    05 Five Percent for Nothing
    06 Long Distance Runaround
    07 The Fish
    08 Mood for a Day
    09 Heart of The Sunrise

Additional Tracks

10 We Have Heaven (full mix)
    11 South Side of the Sky (early version)
    12 All Fighters Past (previously unheard)
    13 We Have Heaven (acapella) mixed by Steven Wilson
    14 Roundabout (rehearsal take/early mix)
    15 Mood for Another Day (alternate take of Mood for a Day)

About the Additional Tracks

In addition to the main album, Steven unearthed a virtual treasure trove on the multi-track tapes, allowing him to mix full length & acapella versions of “We Have Heaven”, an earlier take of “South Side of the Sky” & – in perhaps the most exciting discovery of this series to date – a previously unheard segment of a piece now called “All Fighters Past” which incorporates ideas that would later form parts of “The Revealing Science of God” (Tales from Topographic Oceans) & “Siberian Khatru” (Close to The Edge) performed in the style of Roundabout! With a further two additional tracks – alternate takes of “Roundabout” & “Mood for a Day” & numerous exclusive to Blu-Ray edition features, including the complete album in instrumental form mixed by Steven Wilson, this is the definitive edition of Fragile.

Steven Wilson: “With an album as well recorded and mixed as this one, the stereo remix is essentially a step along the way to the 5.1 mix and as faithful as I could make it, but it has been included in the reissue along with a flat transfer of the original 1971 mix. There are also a number of bonus tracks mixed from the reels for the first time, including a remaining fragment of song given the title “All Fighters Past” which incorporates themes later used in Roundabout, Siberian Khatru and The Revealing Science of God. This was found at the end of a reel that had been reused for a later session, but fortunately not completely erased.”

YES51Jon
    “I wanted to hear something inspiring…”
    – Jon Anderson
    (from the sleeve-notes)
    With Fragile – the fourth album by Yes, Jon Anderson’s wish was fulfilled. Recorded in September 1971 following rehearsals a month earlier Yes was, by this point, on something of a roll. The Yes Album had been a chart success in the UK & had started to make inroads in the US album charts following a highly successful tour there. The challenge – to take the band to the next level of success – had to be met quickly to build on that momentum. The Yes Album was both the peak & natural end point of the first period of Yes album recordings.

It had marked the arrival of Steve Howe, the expansion into long-form material & with a final date at London’s Crystal Palace Bowl, the departure of keyboardist Tony Kaye.

His replacement, ace session player & Strawbs member, Rick Wakeman, completed what came to be regarded as the first classic Yes line-up. Wakeman brought with him an expanded array of keyboards, including a Moog synth & Mellotron & proved every bit as strong a soloist & arranger as Steve Howe. With this line-up, Yes was ready for the big league.

Released in Late 1971 in the UK & at the beginning of 1972 in the USA, the album reached the Top 10 in both countries (7 UK, 4 USA). With additional impetus from the hit single “Roundabout” in the USA – a track which became a radio staple – the album quickly reached platinum status & went on to sell millions over the past 44 years. The album’s long form pieces were presented in a running order which allowed for the placement of solo led tracks by each of the five members, a novel way of presenting an album that merely enhanced the reputation of the band as a group where each member could be viewed as band member & star soloist in their own right.
    Tracks such as “Roundabout” & “Heart of the Sunrise” have rarely been out of the live set-list & the album was performed in full by Yes in venues worldwide in recent years to unanimous standing ovations.

Another key factor in Yes’ history was the fact that the album occasioned the arrival of sleeve artist extraordinaire, Roger Dean, a man who would go on to design logos for the band – including the famous ‘bubble logo’ – stage sets & numerous album sleeves & and artist who, despite having provided equally dramatic sleeves for numerous other bands, is always most readily associated with his work for Yes.

In keeping with earlier releases in this series, Steven Wilson’s approach to this album for new stereo & 5.1 mixes is to faithfully retain the spirit & sounds of the original album mix, while applying modern mix techniques to bring further clarity to the individual instrument, vocal & overdubs for each track. The songs, instantly familiar to a multitude of Yes fans, remain so, with the new mixes – especially in 5.1 form – providing a greater sense of space for each voice to be heard, Anderson’s voice seems to join the listener in the room, Howe & Wakeman’s solos glisten with clarity & Bruford/Squire remind all that they were unmatched as a rhythm section during that period.
    Get the Definitive versions of 4 Classic YES Albums on Amazon: The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge & Relayer
    Remixed & Remastered by Steven Wilson in HD24-96 5.1 & Stereo, and also including the original Yes/Eddy Offord mix.

Then it is a waste of money. The real release is this fall which includes the original mixes:
    ...snip

I don't really know what to say to that.

I don't really know what to say to that.
    Say

a) you were asking about vinyl, and

b) October 2015 was last fall.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Say

Well, that and that almost all of Steve Wilson's remixes make the records worse.

At least Wilson made Aqualung listenable.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    At least Wilson made Aqualung listenable.
    The song? Nothing like big splashy cymbals in the opening to bizarrely make it sound like it was recorded in 1985. No thanks (though, to be fair, I think that other portions of the song do sound a bit better with the Wilson mix; most notably the section inclusive of the guitar solo).

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The song? Nothing like big splashy cymbals in the opening to bizarrely make it sound like it was recorded in 1985. No thanks (though, to be fair, I think that other portions of the song do sound a bit better with the Wilson mix; most notably the section inclusive of the guitar solo).
    I was referring to the entire original harsh cold sounding album.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Say

Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it last fall. However, these Bluray releases include an HD recording of a needle drop which is likely to have been played on phonographic equipment superior to what 90% of what the few vinyl heads own and have near near perfect RIAA EQ.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Well, that and that almost all of Steve Wilson's remixes make the records worse.
    Does he? He provides the original master tape, a needle drop on the original mix on virgin English vinyl, a stereo high res mix and a 5.1 high res mix. So you can compare like I did. My system is flat and it's fairly clear that the remixes are more detailed and don't suffer from dynamic range issues. So Steven's products for Yes include the original record.

5.1 on vinyl ?? I'm still waiting for a stereo wax cylinder release

Does he? He provides the original master tape, a needle drop on the original mix on virgin English vinyl, a stereo high res mix and a 5.1 high res mix. So you can compare like I did. My system is flat and it's fairly clear that the remixes are more detailed and don't suffer from dynamic range issues. So Steven's products for Yes include the original record.
    Steven Wilson doesn't "provide" the original master tape.

The inclusion of the "flat transfers" is nice, but they've already been available on HDtracks before the remix/reissue DVD/Bluray releases.

As far as the "needle drops" which are included, most have stated that they are vastly inferior to what's available out there from people who specialize in doing them. And I would not presume much about the equipment used to do them on the official releases.

The Wilson remix reissues are an excellent value to anyone who wants all the stuff. Of course, for anyone who just wants a flat transfer of the master tape, it's cheaper to download it from HDtracks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Steven Wilson doesn't "provide" the original master tape.

The inclusion of the "flat transfers" is nice, but they've already been available on HDtracks before the remix/reissue DVD/Bluray releases.

As far as the "needle drops" which are included, most have stated that they are vastly inferior to what's available out there from people who specialize in doing them. And I would not presume much about the equipment used to do them on the official releases.

The Wilson remix reissues are an excellent value to anyone who wants all the stuff. Of course, for anyone who just wants a flat transfer of the master tape, it's cheaper to download it from HDtracks.
    I don't have a decent way to interface downloaded high res material to my main system, other than DVD-a or Bluray. Additionally it's easy on my system to switch between them and compare. I expect people who wish to sell you something else to poo poo Steve's needle drops.

I have been pretty impressed with Rhinos vinyl reissues to date. Pretty high quality and packaging... The kind of LPs you practically don't even want to play! Just collect.
    Still alive and well...

OK so my local HMV had the newly released Drama in stock. A few pedantic observations on the artwork. The original release had a gray/black sky and brown land with the white "Iceberg" in the middle. With this new Rhino issue everything has a blue tinge to it, although the Yes/Drama logo on the front is clear and sharp. The curvy sand to the left lower corner is a little "blurred". Inside the gatefold the small "Flying Machine" picture beside the credts has been re-done. On the original it was flat black on this issue it is white with the shadows picked out. The inside gatefold looks otherwise the same as the original.

On my original vinyl I bought back in the day the Panthers on the cover are all flat black. Some time ago I picked up an A1/B1 1980 UK edition which is a totally different pressing from every other 1980 edition I've seen (larger runout groove). This A1/B1 1980 edition has the Panthers to the left and right's shoulders and hips picked out with "wisps" of white, as does this new Rhino one.

Overall it could be better. I would be really interested in Roger Deans take on his reproduced artwork on these re-releases. You'd think a band like Yes who led the way with fantasy artwork for their albums would ensure absolute perfect quality re-production.

The inside sleeve is card with Side One and Side Two lyrics on either side, so that's nice.

I'll drop the needle down on it later when the wife's out at her friends and report back. I'll be interested to see if it has the "fade in" at the end of Does It Really Happen and hope to goodness there's no remixes.

I don't have a decent way to interface downloaded high res material to my main system, other than DVD-a or Bluray. Additionally it's easy on my system to switch between them and compare. I expect people who wish to sell you something else to poo poo Steve's needle drops.
    I didn't realize the included vinyl rips were done by Wilson, but I think you're confused. It's not a matter of anybody "selling" anything. It's just that there are plenty of vinyl rips of every Yes album out there (all free), and I don't believe the ones which have been included on these sets are rated very highly in comparison to some of those done on top notch rigs.

As far as your playback issues, I understand. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. But for people who use HDtracks, download and just put the hi-res files on a USB and play them back on their system, burn to a DVD-R or whatever method, the same "flat transfers" being included on the remix issues probably aren't much of a selling point. If they like the surround mixes, or stereo remixes, or bonus content or whatever ... then they are probably very happy. I think it's great that these releases include so many goodies. I just don't happen to care much for the overall sound that Steven Wilson gets on his remixes.

I'll drop the needle down on it later when the wife's out at her friends and report back. I'll be interested to see if it has the "fade in" at the end of Does It Really Happen and hope to goodness there's no remixes.
    Ok, so no remixes - very good. I'm no audiophile so am not able to provide anything approaching a technical analysis of the sound except to say it sounds pretty damn good on my half decent system. I always listen out for the "xylophone" (if that's what is it) during the outro of "Does It Really Happen" and it's nice and clear here. "Does It Really Happen" also has the faded intro to the end section. Happy enough with my purchase, but the Friday Music vinyl remaster sounds just as good to my ears.

I guess they used the vinyl master then and not the master tape that was used for the Rhino CD in 2003?
    I really like the non-fade up.

Quote Originally Posted by znpnine View Post
    I guess they used the vinyl master then and not the master tape that was used for the Rhino CD in 2003?
    I really like the non-fade up.
    There is a sticker on the front that proclaims "Cut from the original analogue master tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio". So there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I was referring to the entire original harsh cold sounding album.
    +1 I think its the best result he's gotten.