Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ayreon- The Theater Equation

I think he doesn't play live.

Arjan Lucassen seems to be able to make a living from his music, without playing live.

Ember
    Just got this from Amazon US. The audio mix is good, but there's no hi-rez multichannel. It's stereo PCM or DD5.1.

The video is mostly amateurish, I'm afraid, but not unwatchable. Lots of bad framing, inappropiate panning and zooming, autofocus (!) failures. I suppose it's amazing this exists at all, I suppose.

I'm not sure how much the staging really adds, anyway. It reminds me a lot of the concert versions of famous musicals, like Sweeney Todd or Chess, that we see occasionally: fully produced in terms of casting and musical arranging, but with just enough blocking and staging to suggest the full production (which in this case has never existed).

Turn on the subtitles, which don't just make the lyrics coherent but also identify the characters, which is critical.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    This is my cuppa Gouda.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just got an email about another live Ayreon show coming out on video. It’s called “Ayreon Universe - The Best of Ayreon Live.” Anyone know what the difference is between this and The Theater Equation? Sounds similar.

^^^^
    The Theater Equation show was a production of the Human Equation CD, looks like this is a kind of 'Best of' show! Looks like the singers are different too. Labrie dosn't appear to feature on the new one whilst Damian Wilson does. Am not too familiar with most of Ayreon's catalogue so can't comment on whether this is considered to be his 'best' material?
    Will probably buy it!

I wonder if there’s that much demand for live Ayreon shows?

Do you know if Hansi Kursch is part of The Theater Equation?

Ayreon Universe is most notable for including Arjen himself, which is rare since he is a recluse from the stage. In fact, he had such crippling stage fright the night before the show, he wasn't sure if he would make it on stage!

I'm in for the 5-disc Earbook edition. I love this stuff!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ayreon Universe is most notable for including Arjen himself, which is rare since he is a recluse from the stage. In fact, he had such crippling stage fright the night before the show, he wasn't sure if he would make it on stage!

I'm in for the 5-disc Earbook edition. I love this stuff!
    I don't think I ever knew he had stage fright, but I sort of suspected as much. He's on the Star One DVD, isn't he?

He also has back issues, which keeps him from traveling comfortably, so he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wonder if there’s that much demand for live Ayreon shows?
    Oh boy ... the Ayreon Universe shows sold out like in minutes with people coming from all over the globe to see them.
    There was an warm-up show as well which I think didn't have the full production and that one even sold out very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Oh boy ... the Ayreon Universe shows sold out like in minutes with people coming from all over the globe to see them.
    There was an warm-up show as well which I think didn't have the full production and that one even sold out very quickly.
    Sorry, I meant demand for Ayreon concerts on video, to warrant this release. But I know those shows sold out quickly.

I'm in, though I havent heard the last few Ayreon albums. I have Equation, Electric Castle and Universal Migrator. I could use more, but I heard Theory of everything was a disappointment. I have recently discovered the joys of Live music, so greatest hits is something I'd be down for.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I'm in, though I havent heard the last few Ayreon albums. I have Equation, Electric Castle and Universal Migrator. I could use more, but I heard Theory of everything was a disappointment. I have recently discovered the joys of Live music, so greatest hits is something I'd be down for.
    The Theory Of Everything was indeed a disappointment, but he rebounded nicely with last year's The Source IMO. The opening track is one of the best that he's ever done! But from what I can see, the album you really need is 01011001.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

As someone who has seen this live. I can highly recommend the show. I guess I really can't recommend the DVD just yet, but it was really amazing show.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution and Boutique Label
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/XjXVZ8WqNP

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

^^ I remember seeing on FB that you and Reyna traveled overseas and saw The Theater Equation in the Netherlands. I already am a big Ayreon fan, but based on much of the music I've heard on progrock.com, as well as your thoughts on said show, I'm all but certain that you're spot on in your assessment of this.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold