Thread: Tiles - Pretending 2 Run now streaming

Tiles - Pretending 2 Run now streaming

Bravewords.com is hosting a stream of the new double CD release from Tiles, "Pretending 2 Run": http://bravewords.com/news/tiles-str...e07FGM.twitter

Street date is April 15th. We are shipping now: www.lasercd.com

And for anyone in the Detroit Metro area, Tiles will be doing and in-store performance and signing at Dearborn Music on Saturday 4/23 at 4pm. The store is located at 22501 Michigan Avenue in Dearborn, MI.

Bought this last week and spent a whole day spinning it repeatedly - it's an excellent album!

I thought Tiles kinda went off the boil with Window Dressing and Flypaper just sounded like more of the same. The thought of a new double album's worth didn't initially entice me, but I eventually pulled the trigger because I was attending a Q&A with Terry Brown the next day.

Bottom line - the band have really raised their game on this album, and feels like the next logical step after Presents Of Mind. It's got a great sound to it - they've layered over the previous dry and raw guitar sound, and it sounds so much fuller. The bass is much higher in the mix and shows just how good Whittle is - it really gave an added edge and momentum to the songs.

The other surprise is the different approach to the vocals. I realise Rarick could sing but his delivery always seemed a bit forced in the mix and I found it a turn-off in places. Not so with this album - here his singing is again layered, harmonised and sound so much better for it. Interestingly they've handed over some lead vox to Matthew Parmenter, and then have the pair of them trading off or harmonising together.

95 minutes of new music is a lot to take in but there are only a couple of longer songs, and they work fine alongside the norm of songs around the 5 min mark and short interludes.

As usual great artwork and thoughtful partnering of image, music and lyrical themes. And quite a guest cast - Colin Edwin, Parmenter, Kim Mitchell, Ian Anderson, Portnoy senior and junior, and Adam Holzman among others.

Terry Brown seemed very happy with the end result, and encouraged the predominantly Rush audience to give it a try, although Tiles are managing to shed more of the Rush-isms with this album. It was also interesting that the interviewer referred to "another prog-metal concept double album" released earlier this year (The Astonishing), and by comparison the Tiles album was far more rewarding. I think he's right.

I admit that I was ready to spin Pretending 2 Run once and chuck it into the cupboard, but it's gonna get a lot more spins instead!