Thread: Broof's brief stint in Savoy Brown...

Broof's brief stint in Savoy Brown...

Posted Saturday by Mr. Bruford on his FB page:

This Date in History: 12 days into his career, Bill landed his first gig in Leicester, UK, on January 12th 1968, with the South London group the Savoy Brown Blues Band, featuring guitarist Kim Simmonds (see pic). The band was managed by Kim's brother Harry. An ill-fit from the start, Bill was fired after just three gigs for tinkering around with the rhythm, collecting £5 ($8) a night for his trouble.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

meimjustalawnmower
    And just think that if things had taken a slightly different turn, he might've become a member of Foghat!

SLOOOOOOW RIDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    And just think that if things had taken a slightly different turn, he might've become a member of Foghat!

SLOOOOOOW RIDE!!!
    "Slow Ride" in 11/8!

They needed a steady beater in SB, instead they were tortured by Bruford's over syncopation

Yeah, no knock on BB but he's not the first guy that comes to mind when you need an in-the-pocket blues drummer with a solid backbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Would he have gotten them to learn "Five Percent for Nothing"?

Now there is a trivia bit... i'm an SB fan, but never knew this!!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Well you must have at least known that BB was in SB (even if for a very little while).

Did you know that he learned to play drums by using paint brushes on the back of record albums? His sister gave him the paintbrushes.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Well you must have at least known that BB was in SB (even if for a very little while).

Did you know that he learned to play drums by using paint brushes on the back of record albums? His sister gave him the paintbrushes.
    Geeeezzzz... than I guess you'd know which album he used, right??

You don't!??!

anya call yaself a Broof fan??

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As much as I hate Facebook, I do enjoy some of the musical artists posts. Bruford's self-effacing wit and humor comes through in everything he posts. You can tell he does the posting himself instead of having his people do it. I guess he has the time now that he's retired! He puts up a lot of interesting little clips and pics. There was a pic with this one too, but it was so tiny I didn't bother. You couldn't even see him in the pic. All you could really see was Simmonds' Flying V.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    As much as I hate Facebook, I do enjoy some of the musical artists posts. Bruford's self-effacing wit and humor comes through in everything he posts. You can tell he does the posting himself instead of having his people do it.
    That's 'cause he has no peeps. These days, fewer and fewer artists do

BB (1978) : "I just came to London and wanted a gig. I was prepared to be in any band that had a Transit that would go up the motorway. I was in love with the whole idea of being a musician. I wanted to be in a real group rather than a local group and play pubs. I came to London and Savoy Brown was the first audition I want to. It was blues. I said, 'I can handle that. It's no problem'. They already had a drummer but I told them they had the wrong guy. After three nights it was pretty clear I wasn't suitable so they asked me to leave".

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    That's 'cause he has no peeps. These days, fewer and fewer artists do
    Very true, but a lot of bands have superfans handle their social media. For example, I'm FB friends with a local jam band, nobody that anyone has ever even heard of, yet it's clear they don't do their own posting.

Glass Hammer does do their own, which I much appreciate.