Thread: CARL PALMER PRESS RELEASE

CARL PALMER PRESS RELEASE

PRESS RELEASE http://goo.gl/F1yTG
    For Immediate Release January 14th. 2013
    CARL PALMER’S ELP LEGACY SET TO EMBARK ON WORLD TOUR
    NEW CONCERT DVD, AND NEW SIGNATURE ART COLLECTION “A TWIST OF THE WRIST”

Banned
    i'm glad to see Palmer touring again but isn't this the same show that's been going around for years? Him and the two guitar players playing ELP tunes with the guitarist playing all the keyboard parts?

Boy 4 shows in California and all of them so cal . Come to SF Carl!

Isn't that too much "legacy" tours of each former member? I'm sure it's not a great idea to retire on laurels for so many years.

I have a couple of the Live Volume CDs and the music is good, so I am looking forward to an opportunity to see this band live

When I saw the subject of this thread, I immediately thought it would be a press release announcing that Carl had left Asia.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Meh. ELP "Legacy"? Yuck. Seems like Emerson is the only one with any creative impulse left in him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Meh. ELP "Legacy"? Yuck. Seems like Emerson is the only one with any creative impulse left in him.
    not that isn't really fair...but I'm sure you are just trolling anyway. Good luck getting some takers.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    When I saw the subject of this thread, I immediately thought it would be a press release announcing that Carl had left Asia.
    Not going to lie, I thought the same thing. Then we'd be back to a Wetton/Downes Asia, but really it could just be another Wetton/Downes album and not Asia anymore!

Glad to hear that Carl isn't quitting Asia as well.

-Marc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    Not going to lie, I thought the same thing. Then we'd be back to a Wetton/Downes Asia, but really it could just be another Wetton/Downes album and not Asia anymore!

Glad to hear that Carl isn't quitting Asia as well.

-Marc.
    BACK to a Wetton/Downes Asia? I don't think it's ever been Wetton/Downes Asia...has it? Unless I'm forgetting something.

Mr.Sighn ...CP is also channeling his creativity helping disadvantaged kids with sensory impairments for no financial gain. Shame there arnt many others who follow suit & use their skills and give their free time to help communities, kids etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    BACK to a Wetton/Downes Asia? I don't think it's ever been Wetton/Downes Asia...has it? Unless I'm forgetting something.
    Maybe I am just remembering the Wetton/Downes collaborations and mistaking them for Asia? I'm not really TOO sure, I've never invested that much interest in Asia or their related spin-off bands/albums.

-Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    not that isn't really fair...but I'm sure you are just trolling anyway. Good luck getting some takers.
    I wasn't trolling. I think Emerson has released two decent albums in the last couple of years and has some interesting other projects in the pipeline. I think the KEB is decent, the group with Bonilla.

What has Lake or Palmer put out under their own name in the last few years? Nada. Just rehashing old ELP songs, or live albums of the same. Even the most recent orchestral record put out by Emo had many original numbers n it. And the orchestral version of Tarkus was worth the price of admission. Do you see Emerson touring under the monicker of "ELP Legacy"?
    I think his stuff with Bonilla is decent.

How many of these generation of musicians are still musically relevant? Or doing interesting things? Not many. Howe? Fripp? Emerson? (Ian) Anderson? Maybe (Jon) Anderson, if *Open* is any indication? Certainly Bruford would be, but he's hung up his boots.

The rest of them are pure nostalgia circuit. Nothing wrong with that, if people want to listen to it, I suppose. But it is what it is.

This isn't a nostalgia tour. The arrangements are really quite good and different: it's bass, guitar and drums, no vox. Everyone in the band is excellent, and they really take some chances on stage. Obviously Palmer wasn't a credited writer in ELP. All the crazy musical bits were Emerson, all the pop hooks were Lake. Palmer made everything work - drummers seldom get credit, even if with extremely few exceptions they do write all their parts and help arrange all the music. I've seen this band play 3 times, and opened for them once. It's totally worth it, and at least for me, far more interesting - musically speaking - than hearing Asia play heat of the moment. I feel only an idiot turns their back on their best work. Palmer has decided to play this music with a tight, young, energetic cast and is doing the tunes his way. I think it's just as valid as what Emerson has done, though different obviously because Palmer has not offered new compositions - just new, interesting interpretations of old standards. YMMV.

Banned
    Not really that new - Palmers been touring this for the last 5 years if not more. Not saying it's not great, just saying that press release is trying to make it like it's something totally new. I'll be at the PA show.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    How many of these generation of musicians are still musically relevant? Or doing interesting things? Not many. Howe? Fripp? Emerson? (Ian) Anderson? Maybe (Jon) Anderson, .
    A fair point. I feel you missed out possibly the most relevant creative artist of the generation - Steve Hackett. Sure, he's riding high on the Genesis Revisited thing this year, but over the last 10-15 years his solo output has been both prolific and creatively stimulating - one of the few artists who's recent output has matched his early work. If Andy Latimer hadn't been ill, I'd probably be saying similar things about Camel - Rajaz, Harbour of Tears and a Nod & a Wink were up there with the 70's stuff. And from the 80's generation, both Fish & Marillion continue to generate new & exciting music.

Like you say, nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia. It's nice to have the choice of seeing/hearing both classic & fresh. Music is best listened to live, and that's just as relevant to old music as it is to new. You pays your money......etc.

Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    A fair point. I feel you missed out possibly the most relevant creative artist of the generation - Steve Hackett. Sure, he's riding high on the Genesis Revisited thing this year, but over the last 10-15 years his solo output has been both prolific and creatively stimulating - one of the few artists who's recent output has matched his early work. If Andy Latimer hadn't been ill, I'd probably be saying similar things about Camel - Rajaz, Harbour of Tears and a Nod & a Wink were up there with the 70's stuff. And from the 80's generation, both Fish & Marillion continue to generate new & exciting music.

Like you say, nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia. It's nice to have the choice of seeing/hearing both classic & fresh. Music is best listened to live, and that's just as relevant to old music as it is to new. You pays your money......etc.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to make an exhaustive list. You're right. Hackett--and Hammill-belong at the very top of anyone's list.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We saw the CPB in Montreal at Le Gesu a couple of years back, and while it was enjoyable, I don't feel the need to "see the show" again.

The Carl Palmer Band Saturday May 11th @ The Boulton Center in Bayshore NY..Plenty of seats as of now...