Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new-found respect fro Steve Miller

My new-found respect fro Steve Miller

Steve Miller calls Rock Induction ceremony 'a lazy' night with a 'bunch of fat cats'

I still don't think he should be anywhere a so-called RNR HOF. But, I do agree with him on this point.

(That would be "for" not "fro." That's a different thread.)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I turned on one of the news channels upon waking up this morning and this was on there! I love it.

Is 'fro' the new 'camples'??

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I still don't think he should be anywhere a so-called RNR HOF. But, I do agree with him on this point.
    Well, as I recall, his hit albums from the middle late 70's are square in the RNR HOF target demographic.
    They were senior summer break soundtrack material for me and my friends.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    black-afro-wig-60306.jpg Gentlemen, I give you the 'Respect Fro'
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 04-12-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Miller did some seminal work in the late 60s as well. I can certainly see him being honored. Man, that speech is just golden.

Here's a cample fro ya'

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Anything to bolster my notoriety in PE.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Miller did some seminal work in the late 60s as well.
    I wouldn't necessarily say "seminal," but those first four LPs were tuff enuff, for sure. It seems Your Saving Grace is, last I looked, oop.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Yeah, seminal is a bit of a stretch. Nobody's denying the man's commercial success here.

I've always respected Steve Miller.

I gather he's a nice enough guy personally, he's certainly a smart businessman, and no one can deny his popularity. But I just find the guy's music and his public persona as a lazy, lovable, smooth-talkin' stoner aggravating. It's like rock 'n roll elevator music, or at least his big hits are. While I can't say I have no respect for him, and I understand he's a decent blues guitarist, I have no respect or liking at all for The Joker, or The Space Cowboy, or Mauriiiiiice (BWEEP-BWOWWWW!) who speaks of the Pompatus of Love. What utter cheese.

This will make Sventonio happy. If he remembers that he likes Steve Miller, that is.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Miller has an outdoor concert scheduled this summer here in Madison. Locals here are wondering whether jazzman pianist/singer Ben Sidran, who lives in Madison, and was an original member of the Steve Miller Band and wrote "Space Cowboy", will make a surprise guest appearance.

I love the early Steve Miller stuff ("Brave New World", "Your Saving Grace" & "Sailor"), but he lost me after that, so I'll be passing on this gig.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I heard what he said on the Stern show and I understand where he was coming from---the Black Keys (I think) inducted him and after Miller said this they tried to distance themselves from him. Messed up.

Not a real Miller fan, but he certainly had his success. I heard his speech too and was really proud he had the balls to tell these A-holes off. I think the RNRHOF is a bad joke. Look at a lot the bands they let in. How many of them are even rock? Rock N Roll? It's in your name dudes!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I heard what he said on the Stern show and I understand where he was coming from---the Black Keys (I think) inducted him and after Miller said this they tried to distance themselves from him. Messed up.
    The other side of that story is that the Black Keys were genuine fans, and he was such a jerk to them and everyone else around him that hence, the distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    The other side of that story is that the Black Keys were genuine fans, and he was such a jerk to them and everyone else around him that hence, the distancing.
    yeah well two sides to every story---I was told he was a jerk because the Hall of Fame only gives one free ticket to each inductee---so he could bring his wife---anyone else had to pay 10.000 for a ticket. So for example his band's wives or significant others had to pay to get in---he thought that sucked and was bullshit.
    I'm not a big fan of his--I thought a few songs were good---but Hall of Fame is bullshit---Yes isn't in ---and so much crap is in. So this angle of money making off inductees makes sense to me. Sure plenty of Hall of Fame suck ups got free tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I love the early Steve Miller stuff ("Brave New World", "Your Saving Grace" & "Sailor"), but he lost me after that, so I'll be passing on this gig.
    These three and Children of the Future are all amazing West Coast psych albums. Sailor remains a near-masterwork in that regard, IMO. It falls a bit short to the very best of QMS, Airplane, Moby G, CJ&F or Dead, but it's a certified classic still. Except for parts of Fly Like an Eagle I have absolutely no time for the post-1970 Miller, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    My favourite Miller albums.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Given the two sides of the story, it's difficult not to side with Miller.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Given the two sides of the story, it's difficult not to side with Miller.
    Yes think calling the RRHOF gangsters and thieves seems about right.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    "He [Steve Miller] was more specific in a conversation with David Browne of Rolling Stone:

Do you think about recording any new albums?

No. I don’t think about it at all. There is no record business. I record a lot of things. There is no record business. There’s no reason for me to spend any money producing stuff that a record company… All the people that were sitting in the front row tonight, like the guy that came from my record company, I wanted to pull him by his necktie and kick him in the nuts.

Really?

Yeah. He’s made a billion dollars off my work over the last 50 years and the motherfucker just came over and introduced himself tonight. That cheery little thing. You know he won’t do any contract work, he won’t clean anything up, he won’t get anything done.

This whole industry fucking sucks and this little get-together you guys have here is like a private boys’ club and it’s a bunch of jackasses and jerks and fucking gangsters and crooks who’ve fucking stolen everything from a fucking artist. Telling the artist to come out here and tap dance."

Rock and Roll Hall of Lame: This year’s litany of petty spats prove Steve Miller right — “this whole industry f**king sucks”
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Like I said, it's difficult to not agree with him.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well that commentary was a bit light. He really didn't dive into anything to bolster his argument, which I agree with, BTW. However, I do disagree with his assertion that "the whole infrastructure seems to be breaking down, in part along generational and racial lines." I really don't see a racial factor at play here. Sure, there may be some individuals who would do that under any circumstance. But, I really don't see a racial divide. in fact, I don't see much of a generational divide, either. It seems to be mostly over genres and qualifications.

respect? if he said all that in his acceptance speech and not after the fact- i would have respected him.

Here is a link to The Black Keys side of the story: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...sults-20160413