Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moonjune catalog - your favourites?

They are obviously also responsible for the utterly stupendous Dedicated to You... But You Weren't Listening by the Delta Saxophone Quartet, in which the four blowers adapt and play around with Hugh Hopper-classics in a manner which serves it both apt respect and a fascinating sense of ingenuity. Recently I returned to much of that material from Hopper's own hand and relistened quite tentatively afterwards, discovering whole new qualities to most of it - an acclamation to both composer and creative interpreter.

He was one of a kind indeed.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

To pick a lesser known in the US band: I am quite fond of Simak Dialog. Their albums and also their performances, which were colorful and really unique 'jazz/rock'.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ Simak Dialog are very good, probably one of the better current acts at redoing "traditional" fusion that I know. And it grooves and swings as well!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've not explored most of Leonardo's Balkan/Yougo jazz/fusion releases, though (wouldn't know were to start)
    You could try asking Svettie. He can't be far away.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Has panned out to be a really solid label and a big conduit for some of the best recent instrumental rock influenced music. Too many excellent albums on Moonjune to point out all of them. The Fractal Guitar release managed to hit some new neurons here. A fantastically well engineered recording that really stands out on a good system and at times gets near Czukay / On The Way To The Peak of Normal, Tangerine Dream and maybe The Crafty League of Guitarists. Thelen puts his background as a mathematician to good use on this one.

Fractal.jpg

Fractal Guitar 2 is in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’ve really been enjoying “Dwiki Dharmawan Live in USA at The Baked Potato” from 2008. Great jazz with awesome keyboards, vibraphone, percussion, sax. Just excellent!

https://dwikidharmawan-moonjune.band...e-baked-potato

He (Dharmawan) just released a fascinating, sprawling “improvopera” on Moonjune. Still getting familiar with it, but it’s pretty cool! Includes Markus Reuter, and Leonardo of Moonjune is responsible for the concept. Check out the libretto, which reads like a William Blake poem.

https://dwikidharmawan-moonjune.band...um/hari-ketiga
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-19-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’ve really been enjoying “Dwiki Dharmawan Live in USA at The Baked Potato” from 2008. Great jazz with awesome keyboards, vibraphone, percussion, sax. Just excellent!

https://dwikidharmawan-moonjune.band...e-baked-potato
    Wow -- somehow I had forgotten that I'd purchased that album, two years ago! I clicked on the link, and saw that Bandcamp said I already owned it.

So, thank you for reminding me! I'm listening to it now.

All the variations of Wingfeld, Reuter, and Sirkus -- together and in various projects.
    Dialeto - with David Cross
    Stephan Thelen

Anything with Marcus Reuter. Right now my favorite from Moonjune is The Stone House and Music of our Times (Gary Husband and Marcus Reuter).
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Anything with Marcus Reuter. Right now my favorite from Moonjune is The Stone House and Music of our Times (Gary Husband and Marcus Reuter).
    You know the iapetus label? Markus has a bunch of stuff on there, I think it's personal label. https://iapetus-store.com/
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

On the subject of Reuter and Moonjune, he got together with Mannheimer Schlagwerk (an 11-piece ensemble featuring no less than six percussionists) to perpetrate this:

https://markus-reuter-moonjune.bandc...bum/sun-trance

Not one to get if you just want to hear Reuter burn up his guitar - it's a 36-minute chamber piece and he doesn't really make an entrance until half way through it. Fascinating music though, I like it a lot.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 09-21-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    On the subject of Reuter and Moonjune, he got together with Mannheimer Schlagwerk (an 11-piece ensemble featuring no less than six percussionists) to perpetrate this:

https://markus-reuter-moonjune.bandc...bum/sun-trance

Not one to get if you just want to hear Reuter burn up his guitar - it's a 36-minute chamber piece and he doesn't really make an entrance until half way through it. Fascinating music though, I like it a lot.

Bought that as part of a 3-pack last month on Bandcamp Friday, along with Oculus and Shapeshifter. I thought Sun Trance would be my least favorite and it's the one I'm turning to the most. Great music for trying times.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You know the iapetus label? Markus has a bunch of stuff on there, I think it's personal label. https://iapetus-store.com/
    Yeah, there's a lot - A LOT of material! Lot's of Centrazoon, which admittedly I'm still trying to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Bought that as part of a 3-pack last month on Bandcamp Friday, along with Oculus and Shapeshifter. I thought Sun Trance would be my least favorite and it's the one I'm turning to the most. Great music for trying times.
    Indeed, it's quite meditative and a good way of tuning out from the everyday.

I'm buying a lot of downloads these days, but decided to wait and get the CD of this as I think the layers of percussion etc will really come to life on the big rig.

Bandcamp Profile