Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tales from Truly Topographic Oceans--Debussy's "La Mer"

Tales from Truly Topographic Oceans--Debussy's "La Mer"

It is near impossible to put into words how devastatingly beautiful, achingly lyrical, and sumptuously and, dare I even say, explosively nuanced Claude Debussy's three part symphonic tone poem, "La Mer" is. I have listened to three different versions today. Here is a famous version by Boulez with the Cleveland Orchestra. So much breathtaking energy percolates just below the surface. The way of true art is not to intellectually seek out or contextualize "meaning". Indeed, from a reviewer proper--"Although one notes exceptions among individual painters, the interest of Impressionism isn't primarily psychological. One doesn't "read" the surface to arrive at a metaphysical truth, truth of character, or dramatic conflict. Rather, the surface leads to pure sensation – often ecstasy in the presence of the beautiful. The impressionist usually says, without Mahler's irony, "Wird's nicht eine schoene Welt?" The world is often enough. With the major sport of Pelléas and some of the late works to one side, almost all of Debussy's music deals in the physical sensation of the world and the shutting down of the brain overwhelmed by beauty."

Interesting notes, N_Singh, thank you.

That was pretty cool. I've always liked DeBussy, but never dove very deep into his work.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yes...it's an amazing piece of music...probably my favorite from him. I have the Jean Martinon/Orchestra De L' O.R.T.F. version. Stunning!!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I've heard it, and came away with an odd impression: It was incredibly beautiful, but I couldn't remember one note of it - all clouds and spray and drifting vapor, but no "This is IT." melodies or harmonic moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I've heard it, and came away with an odd impression: It was incredibly beautiful, but I couldn't remember one note of it - all clouds and spray and drifting vapor, but no "This is IT." melodies or harmonic moments.
    Keep listening - this is dense stuff, but themes and harmonies will pop into your psyche once you've heard it enough times. Love this piece to death. Also love Nocturnes, Preludes Book I and II, Etudes, Jeux....hell everything. Debussy is top 10 for me on some days.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Keep listening - this is dense stuff, but themes and harmonies will pop into your psyche once you've heard it enough times. Love this piece to death. Also love Nocturnes, Preludes Book I and II, Etudes, Jeux....hell everything. Debussy is top 10 for me on some days.
    JA once spoke of Yes' theme song, 'Firebird Suite' by Stravinsky . He said he was 'waiting for the music' and then he realized, epiphany-wise, that 'it was playing and developing all this time'

Everything Debussy is on the top of any music list I could think of.

La Mer is fantastic, but if you cant find the melody you could check out 'Prélude à l'Après-midi d'un faune' which is a shorter piece, and is utter condensed melodies - or go the opposite way and check out some of the Japanese composer Toru Takamitsus stuff. He was a great great admirer of Debussy, and in his music you wil find Debussy oceans but even less melodious structures than in 'La Mer'. The return to La Mer and you will hear the melodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    This is how it always seems to be for me as well regarding Debussy's music. Not that it stops me from returning to the table, though, as I still find it an incredibly sumptuous feast despite the dissipation of all the flavors and aromas immediately after consuming...

The first clip has lots of Asia (as in the continent) things with it...or at least the first parts did.

Speaking of topographic oceans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DwvyCwgelA
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm a big fan of Debussy and the Boulez/Cleveland Orchestra version of La Mer is my favorite.

This is one of those pieces that never seems adequate to me coming through stereo speakers. You have to be in the presence of it being performed by a good orchestra. to get the full effect.

I saw this and a great piano concerto in G by Ravel performed once on the same program - in the running for best classical concert I ever attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

I saw this and a great piano concerto in G by Ravel performed once on the same program - in the running for best classical concert I ever attended.
    The second movement gets my vote as one of the most beautiful pieces ever.

I also love Yuja Wang.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I'm a big fan of Debussy and the Boulez/Cleveland Orchestra version of La Mer is my favorite.
    Yeah man

I like the Boulez/Cleveland performance plenty, but possibly my favorite is Solti with the CSO. It has a tension and intensity that is often not brought to the piece.

I cut my Debussy teeth on a Jean Martinon LP with La Mer on Side A and Nocturnes on Side B. The first orchestral concert I ever attended began with La Mer. The sound of the basses at the beginning has never left me. I can relive it in my imagination at will. So yeah, a recording doesn't do this music justice no matter how expensive your speakers and how quiet the room.

La Mer is VERY melodic. The melodies are just dressed in a garb that demands even more attention than the actual tunes. It's the epitome of music that rewards repeated listening because the textures are so deep you'll never get to the bottom of them.

Frankie...whats not to love

I saw her with the CSO last year....oooh la la indeed

best
    m
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I like the Boulez/Cleveland performance plenty, but possibly my favorite is Solti with the CSO. It has a tension and intensity that is often not brought to the piece.
    I'll check that one out. Thanks!

I am too a big fan of Claude Debussy and to this day I believe "Clair de Lune" is the most romantic piece of music ever written. I always get goose bumps when I listen to it.

Debussy's music is timeless.
    The Prog Corner

It was a completely transcendent piece of music on premiére, and its influence endures to this very day. Just beautiful, yet highly challenging as well and in a most unorthodox manner.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have the Martinon orchestral set re-issued on Brilliant Classics, and Paul Crossley's piano recordings on Sony. I recognize the themes in La Mer straight away, but I've been listening to it for over 30 years.

And that Takemitsu piece, Archpilago S. embeded above is a favorite. As is the chamber music disc on Naxos. And there's a great 2 disc bargain set on Brilliant Classics titled Spirit Garden. Re-issues of Denon recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The second movement gets my vote as one of the most beautiful pieces ever.

I also love Yuja Wang.
    Oh man great call! , Ravel is my fave french Late Romantic composer, and Yuja Wang is one of the last generation's greatest female pianists imo, such a first class of elegant playing by this beautiful oriental pianist! This Ravel Piano Concerto is perhaps my favourite composition of his. My favourite recording is Abbado's w/ the LSO, but mainly because of Martha Argerich playing there, one of my favourite predecessors of Hèléne Grimaud, my fave last generation female pianist ever, she is really earthshattering, also on interpreting other composers like Mozart and Beethoven, to say just a few.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 04-12-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Ravel is my fave french Late Romantic composer,
    I don't think I've ever seen him grouped with the Late Romantics.