Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archeology: The origins of prog

Archeology: The origins of prog

I'll start with Revolver by the Beatles. A lot of experimental stuff on that one as well as the orchestral (string section actually) dominated Eleanor Rigby. What other clues can you come up with on the archeology of prog?
    Last edited by StevegSr; 04-11-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 04-10-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Probably could start with Moondog, Small faces, Tommy James, Beatles, Moody blues, Mark Bolan & Tyrannosaurus Rex, early bowie, Procol Harum, to Peter Sinfield, King Crimson... Then it cuts loose. Then Americans Brian Wilson and Frank Zappa were early on the scene here in the USA. I would say it all started in the UK though. But Zappa was earlier on the US scene than most people know.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 04-09-2016 at 03:53 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Probably have to account for medieval folk, rounds, ballads, rock and roll, and the advent of electricity... For keys and guitars.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post

The Toys started prog rock in 1965.
    Pure pop for sensitive people? Maybe prog!
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    The Toys started prog rock in 1965.
    When were The Shaggs?

It all started when Ugg the cave man found that if he beat on a hollow log with a stick, sonorous sounds were produced. He further found that he could create rhythmic patterns of these sounds, which he called "the beat, baby." At first, he enjoyed the sounds he made, and the different rhythms he produced, and didn't give it much thought. However, one sunny afternoon as he was happily pounding out some beats, his neighbor Gronk watched & listened for some time. Finally, Gronk approached Ugg and said, "That's Progressive Rock." Ugg didn't know what to think of that, so he just grunted. Gronk then said, "No really, that's Progressive Rock." To which Ugg replied, "Tree. Not rock." Gronk said "No, no, you don't understand. That's Progressive Rock. I'd recognize it anywhere." By this time Ugg had had enough, and klonked Gronk over the head with his rhythm stick.

When the other cave men found out that Ugg had hit Gronk with his rhythm stick, they argued that it couldn't possibly be Progressive Rock, as the Ian Dury overtones were just too strong. Gronk would have none of it, and argued that as he was the one with the lump on his head, and thus closest to the events, he should be the one who got to make the call. Unfortunately, nothing ultimately was resolved, though the argument did pop up again periodically, with much shouting and hand wringing on both sides.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 04-09-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Aw geez, not this shit again!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It all started when Ugg the cave man found that if he beat on a hollow log with a stick, sonorous sounds were produced. He further found that he could create rhythmic patterns of these sounds, which he called "the beat, baby." At first, he enjoyed the sounds he made, and the different rhythms he produced, and didn't give it much thought. However, one sunny afternoon as he was happily pounding out some beats, his neighbor Gronk watched & listened for some time. Finally, Gronk approached Ugg and said, "That's Progressive Rock." Ugg didn't know what to think of that, so he just grunted. Gronk then said, "No really, that's Progressive Rock." To which Ugg replied, "Tree. Not rock." Gronk said "No, no, you don't understand. That's Progressive Rock. I'd recognize it anywhere." By this time Ugg had had enough, and klonked Gronk over the head with his rhythm stick.

When the other cave men found out that Ugg had hit Gronk with his rhythm stick, they argued that it couldn't possibly be Progressive Rock, as the Ian Dury overtones were just too strong. Gronk would have none of it, and argued that as he was the one with the lump on his head, and thus closest to the events, he should be the one who got to make the call. Unfortunately, nothing ultimately was resolved, though the argument did pop up again periodically, with much shouting and hand wringing on both sides.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
    Close... But it was Grog not Uug. Grog invented proggin when ugg hit him on his noggin. With the aforementioned rhythm stick.
    Still alive and well...

Grog was a no talent poser, Ugg invented prog Rock, end of discussion.

BTW Grog's last name was Collins.

It's Gronk! And I suspect Ugg is actually Tom Brady.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Freak Out! predates Revolver, and is way more prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Freak Out! predates Revolver, and is way more prog.
    Yea... He goes back to even the doo wop days... Then on to laurel canyon and the psych-hippie music and beyond.
    Still alive and well...

J.S. Bach.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    J.S. Bach.
    And yet your icon is the Emperor Concerto.

Serkin's is a great recording of it, by-the-by!

Ha! Ha! That's why I put this under OT!

Well, Bach pre-dates Beethoven...

Das ist Bach? Das ist Bach! Das ist gut!
    Last edited by StevegSr; 04-11-2016 at 03:29 PM.

It is impossible to determine the first prog. rock song until we can define what prog. rock is!

ducks and runs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Probably could start with Moondog, Small faces, Tommy James, Beatles, Moody blues, Mark Bolan & Tyrannosaurus Rex, early bowie, Procol Harum, to Peter Sinfield, King Crimson... Then it cuts loose. Then Americans Brian Wilson and Frank Zappa were early on the scene here in the USA. I would say it all started in the UK though. But Zappa was earlier on the US scene than most people know.
    Really? M. Bolan and T. Rex were progressive? Thought they were more of a teen hearthrob thing, at least from the docs I have seen.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Kind of proggy, written some time in the 16'th century, but severely lacks the 'slave to the rythm' element
    Palestrina, Missa Papae Marcelli.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60

I mean unearthly lyrics, gorgious settings and stage, capes, incense & everything - minus the drums.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 04-12-2016 at 05:57 AM.

Hell yes, No.5 is my favourite Piano Concerto and Serkin is a great pianist , my avatar was well picked up albeit he is not amongst my favourite Beethoven pianists. Nor Bernstein is amongst my fave Beethoven conductors, nevertheless I couldn't find a better avatar hahah
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Really? M. Bolan and T. Rex were progressive? Thought they were more of a teen hearthrob thing, at least from the docs I have seen.
    They were doing weird stuff in 67... And before as "johns children"... I consider them among-forerunners of prog. Peter Sinfield was a contemporary and mentions beatles and bolans in a song of his... They sung a lot about faeries and mystical shit... His partners name was peregrine took. Seem like ancient prog to me

They were pretty progressive for their time, but I suppose its all debatable.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 04-12-2016 at 07:31 PM.
    Still alive and well...