Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meatloaf Again?!

I have another useless tidbit about a Dio song but until I talk to the party involved I can't print it. But this one I can say is useless and won't hurt anyone.

I heard the end of a commercial with the song St. Elmo's Fire - from the lame movie of the same name BITD. I also remember trying to call into Rock Line w/ Bob Coburn, you might know the radio show - and they told me to piss off when I asked who the hell is John Parr - the guy that wrote the song St. Elmo's Fire.

Anyway, seems the dude worked with Meat on Bad Attitude, at least according to the Wiki page. Seems he was all over the place but all I ever heard was that lame tune from the movie, which wasn't even written for the flick.

Learn something new everyday, except this is not even useless, it's beyond that.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I have another useless tidbit about a Dio song but until I talk to the party involved I can't print it. But this one I can say is useless and won't hurt anyone.

I heard the end of a commercial with the song St. Elmo's Fire - from the lame movie of the same name BITD. I also remember trying to call into Rock Line w/ Bob Coburn, you might know the radio show - and they told me to piss off when I asked who the hell is John Parr - the guy that wrote the song St. Elmo's Fire.

Anyway, seems the dude worked with Meat on Bad Attitude, at least according to the Wiki page. Seems he was all over the place but all I ever heard was that lame tune from the movie, which wasn't even written for the flick.

Learn something new everyday, except this is not even useless, it's beyond that.
    He had another pretty big hit with the song “Naughty Naughty”. At least it got a lot of airplay on rock radio around here. I know he has been involved with a lot of different artists over the years, but other than that don’t know a lot about him.

Come on guys, if you're going to talk about him at least get his name right, it is Meat Loaf not Meatloaf. I remember him getting really angry once at a TV journo for that. Anyway I love me some Meat Loaf, especially when travelling the highways and byways of the planet

i just gave Bat Out Of Hell III a listen..... good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i just gave Bat Out Of Hell III a listen..... good stuff.
    To me each "Bat" album has gone downhill from the previous one, but there are things I like about all 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    To me each "Bat" album has gone downhill from the previous one, but there are things I like about all 3 of them.
    don't even need to listen to them to know that

I did borrow from my library system BAT2 (I FFW'd through it), but didn't even know about chapter three.

As I said oreviously, what was the point ? Can't say both added anything to the BAT legend , right?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    don't even need to listen to them to know that

I did borrow from my library system BAT2 (I FFW'd through it), but didn't even know about chapter three.

As I said oreviously, what was the point ? Can't say both added anything to the BAT legend , right?
    The one thing that all 3 Bat albums have in common is that they are collaborations between Meat and Steinman, where most of Meat’s other albums are him writing with other people. I am pretty sure that 3 Bat albums are by far his biggest selling (at least here in the U.S.). I have never heard a song from any of his other albums ever get any radio airplay here, but he had songs from all 3 Bat albums get airplay. His non Bat albums have been pretty much ignored in the U.S., so simple exposure is a primary motivation.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 05-10-2016 at 11:08 PM.

The one thing that all 3 Bat albums have in common is that they are collaborations between Meat and Steinman, where most of Meat’s other albums are him writing with other people. I am pretty sure that 3 Bat albums are by far his biggest selling (at least here in the U.S.). I have never heard a song from any of his other albums ever get any radio airplay here, but he had songs from all 3 Bat albums get airplay. His non Bat albums have been pretty much ignored in the U.S., so simple exposure is a primary motivation.
    Dead Ringer for Love (with Cher if memory serves) had plenty of MTV airplay (it was without Steinman, I believe, and not on a BOH album)

And I'm pretty sure something from the follow-up Bad Attitude had some kind of airplay as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Dead Ringer largely sold on the back of Bat Out Of Hell and the lead single 'Dead Ringer For Love'. There's some good songs on it but it's not a patch on its predecessor. In fact nothing else I've heard from Meat Loaf is.

Dead Ringer for Love (with Cher if memory serves) had plenty of MTV airplay (it was without Steinman, I believe, and not on a BOH album)

And I'm pretty sure something from the follow-up Bad Attitude had some kind of airplay as well

Dead Ringer was another Steinman album. The title track was huge here in Britain, a top five hit & still beloved by covers bands.

Modern Girl was the biggest single from Bad Attitude. The album's pretty decent. Most of the songs are written Sarah Durkee & Paul Jacobs (from National Lampoon, of all places) with John Parr & Steinman chipping in as well.

His next album Blind Before I Stop, didn't sell but it's really strong. It's produced by Frank Farian of Boney M/Milli Vanilli infamy so it sounds amazing & even includes some rare Meat Loaf co-writes. Well worth a listen!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Dead Ringer largely sold on the back of Bat Out Of Hell and the lead single 'Dead Ringer For Love'. There's some good songs on it but it's not a patch on its predecessor. In fact nothing else I've heard from Meat Loaf is.
    Indeed... only BOOH ch1 is really worthy

Couldn't care less for the rest, though Steinman's Bad For Good with the death of an American guitar had me smile while it came out

Indeed... only BOOH ch1 is really worthy

Couldn't care less for the rest, though Steinman's Bad For Good with the death of an American guitar had me smile while it came out
    I dunno, while they can be uneven, I think all his records offer a couple of good tunes, at least. Bat 2 is top fun (& also features American Guitar!) as are the most recent efforts Hang Cool & Handbasket.

Again it is the difference between Europe and the U.S. “Dead Ringer” actually charted number 1 in the UK and several European countries if I remember right, but in the U.S. it completely tanked. I don’t remember anything off of it getting any airplay in my area. Meatloaf was able to maintain a fairly significant career up into the 80’s in Europe, but in the U.S. he completely fell off the radar until “Bat II” came out.

Again it is the difference between Europe and the U.S. “Dead Ringer” actually charted number 1 in the UK and several European countries if I remember right, but in the U.S. it completely tanked. I don’t remember anything off of it getting any airplay in my area. Meatloaf was able to maintain a fairly significant career up into the 80’s in Europe, but in the U.S. he completely fell off the radar until “Bat II” came out.
    Soory Steve, but during the 80's, I live within 300 km of Kalamazoo (Toronto)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    IMHO Dead Ringer got to Number 1 here based on momentum/goodwill from the previous album. Bat Out Of Hell did not get to Number 1 in the UK...proof of what a fallacy it is to take chart positions as any indication of anything, as clearly it's had more sustained sales than Dead Ringer.
    Four years between the two albums, so I doubt it was a major factor, (especially since Bad For Good also exploited the same rock opera gold vein in the meantime - at least in North Am), though let's Loaf was not yet old news.

Steinman's BFG is actually the only other album I'd consider owning outside BOOH..; I don't even miss Meat's vocals too much either.

Soory Steve, but during the 80's, I live within 300 km of Kalamazoo (Toronto)
    Ah....I forgot about that. I still don't remember "Dead Ringer" getting any airplay in my area though.

Ah....I forgot about that. I still don't remember "Dead Ringer" getting any airplay in my area though.
    this was all over MTV, though

this was all over MTV, though
    I honestly do not remember ever seeing that video on MTV. Maybe I just overlooked it at the time.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

I believe that the first Bat Out Of Hell album remains one of the biggest selling albums in world history -- a top 10.

Years later, Steinman also helped put this album on the charts.

Brand new music from Meat:

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url...se&visual=true

From MelodicRock.com:
    Meat Loaf has teamed up with songwriter Jim Steinman, who wrote most of the singer's biggest hits going back to Bat Out of Hell, for a new album, Braver Than We Are. The first single, "Going All the Way," is a multi-movement, symphonic-rock epic in the vein of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" with all the attendant melodrama of those hits.

The song features additional vocals by Ellen Foley, who sang on "Paradise," and Karla DeVito, who appeared in the "Paradise" video and sang Foley's parts on the Bat Out of Hell tour. The album, which will come out September 16th, features 10 never-before-released Steinman compositions; it contains the first tune he ever wrote up through his most recent songs, and it's the fourth album in Meat Loaf's oeuvre whose tracks were written solely by Steinman. The songwriter also had final approval on the mix and presentation of the songs before they were deemed finished. Former Anthrax guitarist Paul Crook – who produced Meat Loaf's last album, 2012's Hell in a Handbasket – helmed the album and played guitar on it.

"It's a tribute to Jim Steinman really," Meat Loaf said in a statement. "It's a tribute to both of us and our work together."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't even know there was a Bat Out of Hell III!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Steinman also wrote Air Supply's "Making Love out of Nothing at All," which I think was their biggest hit.
    And don't forget two songs on the Streets of Fire soundtrack. Those are meat loaf songs not sung by meat loaf.

I recently saw a Rock Legends show on Meat and the Dan Rather interview with him where he says he and Jim never were at odds but it was all record companies and lawyers. Don't know about that, I wasn't there.

What I do want to know is what show did I see back on my twenty-first birthday, lo these many years ago. I can't find squat on Youtube from that era but he had a huge motorcycle behind as the stage backing. Damned cool show and that's where I found out Meatloaf was cool and not just some fat dude from the '70's with what I perceived to be goofy songs. I can't find anything resembling that on Amazon either.

Does it exist? Can I buy the show? Everything I see on youtube is from recent years where Meat just ain't his old self and I would really dig seeing that show again.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Loved the guys voice. I just never got into the songwriting except for paradise by the dashboard lights. Perfect.