Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rollins-"Music collecting is not hoarding"

Henry Rollins-"Music collecting is not hoarding"

"I would argue that when it comes to records, there is no such thing as critical mass. No matter how many are leaning against walls next to shelves that long ago reached their capacity, or find themselves in locations where they are rediscovered weeks or even years later, they never classify as clutter. The owner of all these records could never be tarred with the epithet “hoarder.” Records, no matter how many or where they are stashed, only enhance an environment.

I never met someone with a lot of records who wasn’t at least interesting.

I have also reconciled myself to the fact that I’m a vinyl fetishist. I thought the Vinyl Fetish record store on Melrose was not only a great outlet but also aptly named. In the 1980s, I would go in there, buy what I could afford, stare at all the other records I wanted and absorb the attitude that often radiated from other shoppers and some of the people behind the counter. I didn’t care. I liked being around the records. "

Read More: Henry Rollins in new Williamsburg VANS mural, says record collectors are not hoarders | http://www.brooklynvegan.com/henry-r...ckback=tsmclip

great attitude and spot on.

Rollins himself was always "at least interesting". I never really liked much of his solo (Rollins Band) work, but Black Flag are historical and I have great respect for them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Damn right. Come in and Burn was a solo album of his I thought had some great stuff going on.

Henry sounds right to me. Try telling that to wifey.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I like Rollins Band. Or at least the version that played at Woodstock in '94. Tight, powerful band with an awesome frontman.

Life Time by the Rollins Band is an all time classic. I'm going to have to pull that one out its been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think the same goes for books.
    I agree. But:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez
    Try telling that to wifey.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Henry sounds right to me. Try telling that to wifey.
    I suppose there are enough men who wouldn't agree with Henry as well.

But hey, I prefer CD's and books over shoes.

I'm not sure about this sometimes. I own every album every recorded by Fairport Convention and Roy Harper, to use as two examples. But I only listen to a handful of them. Hoarding, collecting or an obsession? Sometimes I'm really not sure which one it is. LOL
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    He put his name on a damn fine Blue Note compilation that he personally curated. Dude knows his Tina Brooks from his Blue Mitchell.

Huge respect.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I'm not sure about this sometimes. I own every album every recorded by Fairport Convention and Roy Harper, to use as two examples. But I only listen to a handful of them. Hoarding, collecting or an obsession? Sometimes I'm really not sure which one it is. LOL
    I don't have every Fairpont Convention album, but I own all albums by Bap and Wolfgang Niedecken and I listen to all of them, though I might skip the Best of, I also own and which was the start of my Bap collection on CD.

heh... I remember when Damaged came out. That was a landmark album for west coast Hardcore

the dude is not an idiot, that's for sure:
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 04-09-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    heh... I remember when Damaged came out. That was a landmark album for west coast Hardcore

the dude is not an idiot, that's for sure:
    He's a thoughtful and viable voice for many issues in my opinion. He likes to keep his angst so we all win. :P

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    "I would argue that when it comes to records, there is no such thing as critical mass. No matter how many are leaning against walls next to shelves that long ago reached their capacity, or find themselves in locations where they are rediscovered weeks or even years later, they never classify as clutter. The owner of all these records could never be tarred with the epithet “hoarder.” Records, no matter how many or where they are stashed, only enhance an environment."
    Well, wrong. The same logic could be used to justify the hoarding of anything. Records can absolutely be hoarded.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    "I never met someone with a lot of records who wasn’t at least interesting."
    With that I'd probably agree. Records are, IMO, one of the cooler things that a person can be hoarding. But to try to say that they can't be hoarded at all is ridiculous. People whose homes are overrun by records have a hoarding problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Well, wrong. The same logic could be used to justify the hoarding of anything. Records can absolutely be hoarded.

With that I'd probably agree. Records are, IMO, one of the cooler things that a person can be hoarding. But to try to say that they can't be hoarded at all is ridiculous. People whose homes are overrun by records have a hoarding problem.
    But hoarders dont usually display anything they hoard... collectors are not the same. They tend to be organized and proud of their items too. I see a distinction personally. Records to me - dont ruin your daily existence - and dont rot under foot while I climb over the piles.

Anybody who collects somewhat obsessively knows that their music collection is the gift that keeps giving. Nothing is cooler that discovering a great album in your own collection, that somehow eluded you, or didn't hit the spot the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    But hoarders dont usually display anything they hoard... collectors are not the same. They tend to be organized and proud of their items too. I see a distinction personally. Records to me - dont ruin your daily existence - and dont rot under foot while I climb over the piles.
    Hoarding isn't about having things decompose, it's simply about accumulating items to the extent that they create a large amount of clutter and/or significant impingement on the reasonable use of one's living space. Anything can qualify.

I'm not saying that all or most people with large record collections are hoarders - far from it - I'm just saying that exempting records from the list of things that can potentially be hoarded is classic hoarder justification for their habits.

I'm a huge fan of the man, not his music per se. He's always interesting and has a wide taste in music that he's passionate about.

Here's a link to his describing singing on William Shatner's "Has Been" album and a total nerd out tangent about meeting Adrian Belew.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/2005/09/0...shatner-story/

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Hoarding isn't about having things decompose, it's simply about accumulating items to the extent that they create a large amount of clutter and/or significant impingement on the reasonable use of one's living space. Anything can qualify.

I'm not saying that all or most people with large record collections are hoarders - far from it - I'm just saying that exempting records from the list of things that can potentially be hoarded is classic hoarder justification for their habits.
    I agree for the most part with what you're saying. I just think of hoarding as an extension of a person who has far more deeply seated issues - not necessarily a collector type of person... although like you mentioned - there is a correlation between the two for sure.

head firmly bowed before henry rollins. adopted position held ad infinitum.

Really enjoyed that Rollins interview. He had a show on the History Channel that was pretty interesting, about American history and stuff joe average on the street never knew about. Not sure if he still has that show. Good guy. Not sure I've ever heard any of his music besides the odd track here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    head firmly bowed before henry rollins. adopted position held ad infinitum.
    Indeed, not just for his time in Black Flag (who still rule and whose importance to the underground cannot be overstated), but all the obscure/forgotten stuff from fringe genres he's helped reissue or championed over the years. He's as passionate about music as they come. Nothing but respect for ol' Hank.