Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry Rollins-"Music collecting is not hoarding"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    "I would argue that when it comes to records, there is no such thing as critical mass. No matter how many are leaning against walls next to shelves that long ago reached their capacity, or find themselves in locations where they are rediscovered weeks or even years later, they never classify as clutter. The owner of all these records could never be tarred with the epithet “hoarder.” Records, no matter how many or where they are stashed, only enhance an environment.

I never met someone with a lot of records who wasn’t at least interesting.

I have also reconciled myself to the fact that I’m a vinyl fetishist. I thought the Vinyl Fetish record store on Melrose was not only a great outlet but also aptly named. In the 1980s, I would go in there, buy what I could afford, stare at all the other records I wanted and absorb the attitude that often radiated from other shoppers and some of the people behind the counter. I didn’t care. I liked being around the records. "

Read More: Henry Rollins in new Williamsburg VANS mural, says record collectors are not hoarders | http://www.brooklynvegan.com/henry-r...ckback=tsmclip
    This is the link for the actual article by Rollins:

http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-...oarder-6772891

One thing it made me think of is about how I'm very bad at remembering what year it was when certain things were going on in my life. So I use the times when certain records were released as a way to reference the year when certain other things were going on in my life. For example, all the release years (and times of year) for Marillion's albums are markers for me. I can remember (sort of) where I lived and some of what was going on when, for instance, Brave came out. So those albums are a time line for me. I might have to look up a release year in Wikipedia, but at least I can reference those dates.

Somehow nothing else works as well - movie releases, book releases. The only things would be when I was married and when my kids were born.

Marillion works especially well because for many of the albums it was so hard to obtain them before the internet or in the earlier days. Amazon Prime orders won't have the same qualities, unfortunately.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-11-2016 at 05:08 PM.

God - even that egotistic blowhard Rollins is making sense. Maybe the nuts are right and we really are in Endtimes.