Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Big Train

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They're ok. I'm not too crazy about them, but they're fairly good. There's a "suspension of disbelief" thing going on with them and their relation to Genesis et al., but this in passing...
    Agreed. They're too derivative for me to spend much time with, but I understand the appeal - of their later work, anyway.

Folklore landed today and it's another beautiful album, top notch songs, production and wonderful singing and playing throughout.

I don't really get the Genesis comparison, other than a unique English quality to the subject matter, which of course I feel with early PG era. They are a really lovely band who deserve maximum exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Rapidly becoming my favourite band of the 21st century.
    Peter, have you had the pleasure of the new album? Very lovely, and quite an emotional album. I really like it, sometimes melodies, verses, choruses are repeated too oft for my taste, but Greg Spawton's songs are just beautiful.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I like Big Big Train. Good band.

Even if I don't know what the hell they're singing about.
    I've noticed that the better system I listen to David Longdon's voice on, the more intelligible the lyrics are. Judas Unrepentant is a very interesting story.

Banned

Big Big Train

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Just received the new one, 'Folklore'. Looking forward to spinning it after work. With BBT, I love Greg Spawton's compositions, such as Kingmaker, Winchester From St. Giles' Hill, East Coast Racer, Swan Hunter, the latter of which is cowritten, but it has a homey vibe that I find rather poignant. The instrumental passage in 'Winchester...' is just stunningly beautiful. David Longdon's tracks I find okay, but they don't have the emotional layers for me that Mr. Spawton's tracks do.

They've carved a nice little niche for themselves, and some compare them a bit to IQ, but I like them a hundred times more than IQ, personally, and I don't really hear the connection that much anymore, past their 2nd album.
    IQ, sorry that is redonkulous. Maybe from a very superficial level, they are like the Neo bands, or Genesis for that matter. Dave Gregory's guitar fills are beautiful and nothing like the typical symph-Prog flowing leads. Now I will admit that NDV's drumming does show the influence of Phil Collins, but that's not a bad thing. The bass is much more complex than most of what Rutherford recorded, but can be just as articulate.

To call the band derivative, is to say they are a rock band, because all rock is derivative. They are uniquely talented and creative.
    Last edited by Firth; 05-28-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I've noticed that the better system I listen to David Longdon's voice on, the more intelligible the lyrics are. Judas Unrepentant is a very interesting story.
    It's about someone who does counterfeit paintings, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's about someone who does counterfeit paintings, right?
    Yep, true story of the artist Tom Keating, whose fake paintings attributed to old masters now sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Ah, the irony!
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    IQ, sorry that is redonkulous. Maybe from a very superficial level, are they like the Neo bands, or Genesis for that matter. Dave Gregory's guitar fills are beautiful and nothing like the typical symph-Prog flowing leads. Now I will admit that NDV's drumming does show the influence of Phil Collins, but that's not a bad thing. The bass is much more complex than most of what Rutherford recorded, but can be just as articulate.

To call the band derivative, is to say they are a rock band, because all rock is derivative. They are uniquely talented and creative.
    Yep.

Swan Hunter = shipyard in north east England
    Permanent Way = the actual rail "road"
    East Coast Racer = express train on the East Coast mainline
    English Electric = A British engineering company who, amongst other things, made the Lighting aircraft and the Deltic railway locomotive.
    Underfall Yard = A boatyard in Bristol Harbour. The Underfall sluices, from which it gets its name are sluice gates located under the yard which maintain the water level in the harbour and are still in use today.

Quote Originally Posted by glawster2002 View Post
    English Electric = A British engineering company who, amongst other things, made the Lighting aircraft and the Deltic railway locomotive.
    Underfall Yard = A boatyard in Bristol Harbour. The Underfall sluices, from which it gets its name are sluice gates located under the yard which maintain the water level in the harbour and are still in use today.

Peter, have you had the pleasure of the new album?
    Yes, I've listened to it a few times on Spotify...but to be brutally honest, I think it is probably their weakest album. The opening title track is not my cup of tea at all and imo definitely the wrong track to open the album with.
    Favourite tracks though are Salisbury Giant, London Plane, and Brooklands.

London Plane = a bloody pest of a tree in London. The hairy seed sacks of which were the main source of "itching powder" for schoolboys, in my youth.
    Last edited by PeterG; 06-01-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Yes, I've listened to it a few times on Spotify...but to be brutally honest, I think it is probably their weakest album. The opening title track is not my cup of tea at all and imo definitely the wrong track to open the album with.
    Favourite tracks though are Salisbury Giant, London Plane, and Brooklands.

London Plane = a bloody pest of a tree in London. The hairy seed sacks of which were the main source of "itching powder" for schoolboys, in my youth.
    Oh I'm sorry. Yeah, the opener and 'Wassail' are my 2 least favorites. Although they've grown on me quite a bit somehow. But 'Along The Ridgeway' and 'Brooklands' I find to be glorious. And 'London Plane', 'Salisbury Giant' and 'The Transit of Venus Across the Sun' I also find completely enjoyable. Well different strokes...

Right now, Brooklands, a song inspired by the racing circuit but in fact about racer on land and water John Cobb written from the perspective of his last moments on Loch Ness trying to break the water speed record.

Oh I'm sorry. Yeah, the opener and 'Wassail' are my 2 least favorites. Although they've grown on me quite a bit somehow. But 'Along The Ridgeway' and 'Brooklands' I find to be glorious. And 'London Plane', 'Salisbury Giant' and 'The Transit of Venus Across the Sun' I also find completely enjoyable. Well different strokes...
    Yea, don't get me wrong, I don't actively dislike it, I just like it less than their other albums.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Right now, Brooklands, a song inspired by the racing circuit but in fact about racer on land and water John Cobb written from the perspective of his last moments on Loch Ness trying to break the water speed record.
    It's a really nice song. Interesting that Marillion wrote Out Of This World on their 1995 album Afraid of Sunlight, about Donald Campbell written from the perspective of his last moments on Coniston Water trying to break the water speed record.

The new single for "Swan Hunter" is out. I received my copy earlier this week. Nothing ground-shaking here (I mean, it's three different versions of "Swan Hunter" so . . . ).

A really cool duet with Tim Bowness on "Seen Better Days" is included.

A nice live version of "Summer's Lease" (originally on The Difference Machine) rounds out the single. Worth picking up if you're a fan of the band, I should say:
    https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/swan-hunter

Of course the biggie release is at the end of the month.
    https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/alb...hants-of-light
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I have to say that Tim's vocals fit perfectly with the music.

Which album is Swan Hunter from?

English Electric pt 2, or, of course, Full Power

English Electric Part Two, second track.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

So is this new single the live version from the upcoming release?

I saw Big Big Train last Wednesday in Basingstoke UK, a warm up gig for their healing appearance at Night Of The Prog last Friday. It was a superb show with a few set-list surprises, and by all accounts they knocked it out of the park in Lorelei, I wish I had been free to travel to Germany, but life is too busy for all gigs!

Set List

The First Rebreather
    Folklore
    A Mead Hall in Winter
    Kingmaker
    Summer's Lease
    Brave Captain
    Prelude and Fugue (Danny Manners keyboard solo)
    Judas Unrepentant
    The Transit of Venus Across the Sun
    The Permanent Way
    East Coast Racer

Encore:

Drums and Brass (Nick and Brass section solo)
    Wassail

They really do need to play some US shows.
    I know it's not cost-effective but neither is being in a freakin' Prog band in the first place...
    Quite a set list!!!
    The Prog Corner