Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick Wakeman: His best solo album.

An album that I have never found a single comment...has one side that to my ears is among his best, four phenomena tracks, around 19 minutes of pure magic.
    Those who enjoy Six W, Criminal R... should try it out.

The Burning ....

My favourite in no particular order are: Myths and Legends, Six Wives, Criminal Record, Journey, Out There

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    An album that I have never found a single comment...

The Burning ....
    In my list.

My vote goes to Criminal Record, one of his best work but the (long deleted) CD re-issue is hard to get (and expensive). Six Wives... and Journey... are close seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    My vote goes to Criminal Record, one of his best work but the (long deleted) CD re-issue is hard to get by (and expensive).
    Currently several used and new copies on Amazon for under ten bucks.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    My vote goes to Criminal Record, one of his best work but the (long deleted) CD re-issue is hard to get (and expensive). Six Wives... and Journey... are close seconds.
    I bought it last year and at that time it was resonably priced.

Would like to hear why one favors Six Wives over Arthur. and vice versa. Both are completely different albums, that's why there are many who favors heavily Six Wives and others Arthur. In my case, the Symphonic aspect and the majestic music (specially at the end of the album) wins my favor. The theme, the melodies and the flow and transitions between melodies make it a better record (imho).

Banned
    Six wives
    No earthly connection
    Journey
    Myths

Why six wives first? Strongest keyboard playing and memorable arrangements & melodies. No weak spots.

Dare I say I get the most enjoyment out of Rock n Roll Prophet..
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    You're so straight...

Haha it just has a camp factor that I find thoroughly enjoyable, it's just a fun record.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post

Funny story about that LP. In high school I would sometimes play music with a friend who was a good keyboardist. He didn't know too much about rock music, though, and was thrilled when I lent him Six Wives. He thought it was the greatest music ever. So he ran to a store and asked to buy a Rick Wakeman album. Who knows why but they sold him R&R Prophet. Yeah it was really goofy but he grew to respect the playing even on that, and he played it a lot.

When he started college he did a semester abroad in Manchester (UK) and took R&R Prophet with him. He told me later he has never caught so much shit in his life from anyone as from his dorm mates there when they found him listening to it.

Why, is there something obtuse about RR prophet? Never heard it or of it. Explain...

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Why, is there something obtuse about RR prophet? Never heard it or of it. Explain...
    OK!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    WTF? Never heard of this before. Thanks... I guess.

RnR just has that "so bad it's good" quality to it.

I've never seen Criminal Record on CD, although I know it got a re-release over more recent years.

This link I posted seemed to have fallen through the cracks, but here it is again, a bargain-priced box of five albums out next month:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Classic-Al...0374609&sr=1-5

No Earthly Connection and White Rock are in it, two more which have not received widespread CD release...at least not as readily available as Six Wives/Journey/Arthur, which are also there (of course).

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Would like to hear why one favors Six Wives over Arthur. and vice versa. Both are completely different albums, that's why there are many who favors heavily Six Wives and others Arthur. In my case, the Symphonic aspect and the majestic music (specially at the end of the album) wins my favor. The theme, the melodies and the flow and transitions between melodies make it a better record (imho).
    When I was younger I was totally into King Arthur, thought it was the greatest album ever made. But, over the years I have found I have to be in the right mood to listen to it because it's so bombastic. I can use as an example Brain Salad Surgery vs Trilogy. Both are first rate releases, though I probably prefer and listen to Trilogy more often because it's more digestible for everyday listening. The same with Six Wives. I rarely have gotten tired of hearing tracks off Six Wives in all the years I've owned it. I also think there's quite a sense of mystery and depth to the song writing and playing that you can still be taken of awe at each listen. King Arthur on the other hand, is over-the-top and has jarring vocals and thickly laden overtures. Certainly, Merlin & The Last Battle are jaw dropping in every sense, much like KE9, so it's perhaps matter of personal taste/choice in which you prefer.

Thanks for turning me into this one, didn't even know it existed, so many albums from Wakeman, this is really good !

I feel like I discovered a lost Wakeman treasure, why he didn't write a side B and released as "inspired by" is hard to understand, fans would have love a full album like that

Love PE !

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    An album that I have never found a single comment...has one side that to my ears is among his best, four phenomena tracks, around 19 minutes of pure magic.
    Those who enjoy Six W, Criminal R... should try it out.

The Burning ....

Yeah, The Burning is a darker sounding Six Wives. I never questioned why he didn't write a similar side B, that side is the actual soundtrack. It was remarkable they allowed him to create an album side of compositions using the themes from the soundtrack to begin with. Was this ever released on CD? I have the original vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yeah, The Burning is a darker sounding Six Wives. I never questioned why he didn't write a similar side B, that side is the actual soundtrack. It was remarkable they allowed him to create an album side of compositions using the themes from the soundtrack to begin with. Was this ever released on CD? I have the original vinyl.
    Reissued five years ago. Shoot. Looks OOP again. Glad I got mine. http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Rick-W...an+the+burning

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

Funny story about that LP. In high school I would sometimes play music with a friend who was a good keyboardist. He didn't know too much about rock music, though, and was thrilled when I lent him Six Wives. He thought it was the greatest music ever. So he ran to a store and asked to buy a Rick Wakeman album. Who knows why but they sold him R&R Prophet. Yeah it was really goofy but he grew to respect the playing even on that, and he played it a lot.

When he started college he did a semester abroad in Manchester (UK) and took R&R Prophet with him. He told me later he has never caught so much shit in his life from anyone as from his dorm mates there when they found him listening to it.
    Weird, considering Rick's sizeable fan base. Must've been some Depeche Duran dorks. But the album's mostly instrumental (good stuff, all keys & percussion), with just a couple funny vocal numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Reissued five years ago. Shoot. Looks OOP again. Glad I got mine. http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Rick-W...an+the+burning
    Seventeen bucks at Wayside:

http://www.waysidemusic.com/search.a...d=rick+wakeman
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Anyone who has any comments on this one:
    http://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/pro...Out_There.html
    I have a tape with 1984, which I like and this seems to be the only way to get this album.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Weird, considering Rick's sizeable fan base. Must've been some Depeche Duran dorks. But the album's mostly instrumental (good stuff, all keys & percussion), with just a couple funny vocal numbers.
    This was the early 1980s and my guess is Rick Wakeman was notoriously unhip in the UK at the time--those were Depeche Duran Spandau times as you say. In the USA everyone just forgot about him.