Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: And the best live prog album of all time is:

Banned

I'll take Yesshows over Yessongs, just for Ritual and Gates Of Delirium. Also, I always thought Wondrous Stories made the perfect ending for the album, following that amazing version of Ritual. I never knew they never actually played Wondrous Stories as a encore until years later, when I started collecting bootlegs and got a couple from the GFTO tour, where it's always played in the middle of the set.

Another mark against Yessongs is, I gather that boxset they put out last year, the one with however many shows it was from the Close To The Edge tour, apparently including the one that Yours Is No Disgrace on Yessongs came from. And apparently, it's revealed they cut a couple big chunks out of it to squeeze it onto Yessongs.

Since someone else has mentioned Space Ritual, I throw in a vote for Space Ritual Vol. 2. Yeah, it's only half of the show, the songs are in the wrong order, and the first couple words are missing from Sonic Attack, but the unedited versions of Time We Left and Brainstorm/Wind Of Change/7x7 are amazing.

And while I'm on Hawkwind, I always liked This Is Hawkwind Do Not Panic a lot too (though it's mostly been rendered redundant by the most recent reissue of Levitation, which includes the entire concert that's side one and side two came from). Maybe not very "prog" or even "psych", but it's still a sweet album. LOVE Huw Lloyd Langton's guitar work on this one.

I'm also gonna mention King Crimson's Earthbound. Yeah, awful "We recorded it on a cassette deck" sound, a little too much "funk" during the instrumental tracks (which I think we eventually found were all drawn from different versions of Groon), but that version of Schizoid Man and Fripp's death rattle solo at the end of side two are both awesome.

Spice Doubt by Ozric Tentacles is another awesome live release. Great, great show.

Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends is another favorite. Great disc, though I wish they'd do a remix. Pictures At An Exhibition is nice, too, though I don't seem to play it too often these days. Love the fuzz/wah wah bass on The Gnome.

There's been a number of live albums recorded at the various NEARfests I attended. Off the top of my head, there's a Strawbs one, an FM one (you can hear my voice!), a Glass Hammer one, a Djam Karet one (you can hear my voice on this one too!), and a DFA one.

Gong's Live Etc is quite nice, too. I think that was the first Gong album I ever owned (either that or You).

Steve Hillage's Live/Herald is another favorite, too.

Magma's Live/Hhaï was the first actual Magma album I ever owned (though I had Köhntarkösz part on a mix tape I recorded off a college radio show for a couple years before that). Have to have it, just for the inclusion of Lïhns.

Rush Exit...Stage Left I have to mention just for side three, as well as La Villa Strangiato and Jacob's Ladder.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Here's one of my alltime favorites:
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

These:
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    King Crimson - Great Deceiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Seconds Out
    Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Camel-A Live Record
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Yes- Yesshows
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Magma - Trianon Trilogie
    and

IQ, Forever Live

Marillion, Early Stages

Hammill, Pno, Gtr, Vox Box

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Magma - Theatre du Taur 21975
    Zappa - Helsinki
    Tipographica - The Man Who Does Not Nod
    Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Seguendo le Tracce
    Thinking Plague - Both Your Houses
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

VDGG - Vital

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Thinking Plague - Both Your Houses
    That's a great selection.

Magma- Retrospektiw I-II (this disk was the one that made me a fan of the band)
    Cardiacs- Garage Concerts
    Zappa- Road Tapes Venue 2
    Pretty much anything off of the Starless Box set
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Soft Machine - 'Noisette' could certainly be included (January 4, 1970 in Croydon, UK, Cuneifom)

I originally chose BBC 67-71, but from a true live standpoint this might be my favorite SM (maybe along with Paradiso '69, Henie Onstad, and Grides almost neck-n-neck)....we're talking very fine margins here.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 04-07-2016 at 10:14 AM.

I'm disqualifying albums that are known to have been significantly cleaned up/overdubbed, as they weren't really live albums. This does kill off a number of "classic" '70s live albums.

King Crimson - Absent Lovers
    King Crimson - The Night Watch (Starless and Bible Black cannot be considered a live album; this is the show)
    Soft Machine - Grides
    Magma - Hai/Live
    Gentle Giant - King Biscuit
    Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Any More: Vol. II
    Henry Cow - Concerts
    Miles Davis - Cellar Door

Too many contenders to be able to choose only one. From the recent decade or so I would single out Hallvarður Ásgeirsson's Lífsblómið.

http://www.hallvardurasgeirsson.com/...ngs/lifsblomid
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 04-07-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    . Mike Keneally’s “Guitar Therapy Live”
    Yes. Stellar

For me, always:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Tie -- all the worlds a stage/seconds out

Steely Dan Two Against Nature

Fleetwood Mac The Dance

It hasn't been recorded yet.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Steely Dan Two Against Nature

Fleetwood Mac The Dance

I love Two Against Nature, but that was Steely Dan's comeback studio album...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It hasn't been recorded yet.
    Do you mean the standard edition or the SW remix?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Best? Probably Grobschnitt -Solar Music -Live
    That one would be on my list as well, but I choose:

Hoelderlin - Live Traumstadt

Funny, a favorite live album is one where I actually prefer the live version to the studio, so any of the Yes live isnt on my list. My favorite live album is James Gang live at Carnegie Hall. I just love the live versions of those songs far better than the wimpy studio versions.

The live album has significant Jams, so I dont know if some would consider it prog. But I do.

I also love Rare Earth live - both for the jams and for the cool backpack packaging.

I am typically not a live album fan, but I absolutely LOVE live movies (DVD's)

King Crimson - USA (altho, The Great Deceiver is the definitive document of mid-70s KC3 live)
    or
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Funny, a favorite live album is one where I actually prefer the live version to the studio, so any of the Yes live isnt on my list. My favorite live album is James Gang live at Carnegie Hall. I just love the live versions of those songs far better than the wimpy studio versions.

The live album has significant Jams, so I dont know if some would consider it prog. But I do.
    Oh yeah, that's a really great one.

My favorite has always been Genesis Live from 1973. Most people prefer Seconds Out but I don't mind skipping "Suppers Ready." The five songs included are perfection.

And that album cover....
    The Prog Corner

^It's truly bizarre why no CD of Live has ever included the 'Supper's Ready' from the De Montfort Hall. I love what is on the Live album, but that's always been a big deal to me, unfortunately. How strange that they instead chose to include totally unrelated extracts from The Lamb... on the last re-release in that box.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I love Two Against Nature, but that was Steely Dan's comeback studio album...
    I was thinking of the DVD and forgot that the CD was in studio. Thanks for catching that.