Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rush: Permanent Waves VS Moving Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    There, I fixed that for you.
    No doubt it was a good pick, but didn't fix it for me hehe , I mean I liked the freakin funking guitars there and the drums solo reminded me of that one (much better) on E...SL' YYZ, but besides the fact that I'm usually not a fan of drum solos the freakin rythm and melodic lines interghanges on TMMB is fuckin amazing!
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Moving Pictures was a major step forward in commercial accessibility. Both are great albums, but Tom Sawyer and Limelight are their two most well known songs by a long shot. On a scale of 1-110, I'd rate Moving Pictures as a 95 and Permanent Waves as about 86. A Farewell To Kings sits right in between for me, at about 89.
    BTW, the 5.1 DTS mix of Moving Pictures is phenomenal, especially when cranked up loud.

Listened to MP today and changed my mind. A perfect rock record.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I saw the tour - when the music was really fresh. They were just starting to draw full sized audiences. I remember the show well.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Love the sound of it too. Everything is 'there'. Special nod to Alex's guitar sounds - just amazing.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I love Permanent Waves. I adore Moving Pictures.

just listen to MP-live on the Time Machine DVD, and sure now that PW is way better.

If pressed, I’d go for MP (if only because it feels “fresher” to me because I haven’t played it to death). But this was their artistic peak for me, along with the underrated Signals.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Signals is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signals for me!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw the tour - when the music was really fresh. They were just starting to draw full sized audiences. I remember the show well.
    Depends where you lived. I saw AFtK, PW, PM and Signals tours and by the time PW came to Allentown, PA, they were drawing huge crowds. But, other areas probably took a bit longer to catch up, as they were wildly popular for years in that area. But, to your point, by the time MP came around, it was arenas pretty much all over the place.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    never noticed much of a great bass line on Vital Signs,
    Maybe not "great", but it certainly was interesting to play and therefore made the song more interesting to me.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Maybe not "great", but it certainly was interesting to play and therefore made the song more interesting to me.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    the freakin rythm and melodic lines interghanges on TMMB is fuckin amazing!
    +1. Great call man!

It's all good to me.

And by all good I mean I'd also put Vapor Trails (original) Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels right up there with them.

Permanent Waves contains their all-time best playing, in my opinion. I found it by far the most challenging Rush album to play along with on guitar--certainly the most fun one to play along with. Their songs became shorter than before, but I think they actually threw in more difficult parts to offset that. I also think that the songwriting was a huge step up from their previous work.

Moving Pictures is an untouchable piece of genius. Not as complex as its predecessor, but I can't find a single thing I'd change about it.