Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rush: Permanent Waves VS Moving Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Absolutely, The Camera Eye is a great track and even Geddy's vocals don't 'screach' on that one!
    Geddy's vocals aren't "screachy" on both Waves and Pictures... if you'll except the one part on Natural Science
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Close, but I'd have to go with "Permanent Waves."

Permanent Waves by far. I found Moving Pictures rather compromised to a more "mainstream friendly" song form. Signals tried to correct that by embracing influences of new wave, synth music even reggae and resulted in a substantially different sound. But Grace Under Pressure put them for me, on a perpetual road to stagnation.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Geddy's vocals aren't "screachy"
    That guy probably can't help being "screachy" even while snoring. One of the reasons why I could never be a big fan, 'though not the main one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That guy probably can't help being "screachy" even while snoring. One of the reasons why I could never be a big fan, 'though not the main one.
    I totally agree that GL was screechy before Waves....

It's precisely that fact that I didn't like Waves...; it created a WTF reaction to me and a few first hour fans
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Permanent Waves by far. I found Moving Pictures rather compromised to a more "mainstream friendly" song form. Signals tried to correct that by embracing influences of new wave, synth music even reggae and resulted in a substantially different sound. But Grace Under Pressure put them for me, on a perpetual road to stagnation.
    Signals was hardly a move away from mainstream friendly. More of a let's cop the sound of The Police and see if that gets us more airplay.

Quote Originally Posted by warrplayer View Post
    Signals was hardly a move away from mainstream friendly. More of a let's cop the sound of The Police and see if that gets us more airplay.
    Definitely some Police influence but for my part is way better than anything I've heard from the Police (which admittedly is only the "greatest hits"). Signals is one of my favorite Rush albums. Easily.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

But I love Rush and can't stand The Police.

I have to remind myself that I'm not on a Rush Forum... "I warmed up to the other songs on Moving Pictures"

"Permanent Waves has more filler"

Are you mad? Mad, I say!

Easily Moving Pictures, their best album, and which includes their best track, "Red Barchetta." Permanent Waves is good, but I should like it better than I do.

Incidentally, I can personally attest that the run from Hemispheres to p/g produced some outstanding tours. Great live shows in this era.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 04-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I"Permanent Waves has more filler"

Are you mad? Mad, I say!
    Waves is a filler album compared to the albums that surround it

this is not the first time I read this and in some ways, I can agree to it...

Though I definitely prefer some Police albums (Outlandos & Ghost IA Machine) to Signals

PW... a perfect album all 6 songs are great.
    there are a couple of tracks on MP that are not quite great.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Easily Moving Pictures, their best album, and which includes their best track, "Red Barchetta." Permanent Waves is good, but I should like it better than I do.

Incidentally, I can personally attest that the run from Hemispheres to g/p produced some outstanding tours. Great live shows in this era.

This a highly recommended show for the great MP clan of fans (including myself), their Cleveland performance featured them back in form with quite much of their full 70's fire, for those who think they could on longer be any close. And Neil Peart really shows what he's for, especially on those most explosive triple fire off Rush's discography, ever! (Tom Sawyer-Red Barchetta-YYZ)

fmoving_pic3d5f66b81bfb6bf4919986.jpg

It's "Moving Pictures" for Me (I love all the songs on it)! "Permanent Waves" is a close second (only song I don't like on it is "Different Strings").

On the whole, I vote Permanent Waves, but Moving Pictures gave us "Vital Signs" which is my all-time favorite Rush tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    It's "Moving Pictures" for Me (I love all the songs on it)! "Permanent Waves" is a close second (only song I don't like on it is "Different Strings").
    Sacrilege!

Moving Pictures is better because of one thing....Spirit of Radio is on PW and I HATE THAT SONG!

Yea, Rush used to be me fav band but ever since around Roll the Bones, I just don't like the way they took musically. Can't see them live because Geddy's voice is gone and I just remember the shows of the 70's through the 90's and leave it at that.

A Farewell to Kings is Rush's best with Caress of Steel being a close second.
    Last edited by Mr. Toad; 04-09-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Well, this is from their run of five "perfect" (to me) albums starting with AFTK and ending with Signals. Really impossible to choose, maybe I'd pick Permanent Waves by a hair because I like the "lesser" songs (Entre Nous, Different Strings) better than the "lesser" songs on Moving Pictures (Witch Hunt, Vital Signs)... although Vital Signs became a lot more interesting once I had the tablature and played the bass line.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

One of the first rock bands I really warmed up to during the early 80's, despite Lee's scratching vocals hahah
    Yeah many different nuances I find in both, never noticed much of a great bass line on Vital Signs, will have to spin it again after a long while. Always appreciated the different colours that Entre Nous and Different Strings added to PW, pretty much like Broon's Bane atmosphere which fit so pefectly as an intro to The Trees - 'E... SL' is btw a GREAT live recording.
    But I enjoy even more the weirdness of Witch Hunt these days, so today MP would get my vote.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    On the whole, I vote Permanent Waves, but Moving Pictures gave us "Vital Signs" which is my all-time favorite Rush tune.
    Vital Signs is definitely in my top 5 songs from Rush. Good pick, Ian!

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyMan View Post
    .... most explosive triple fire off Rush's discography, ever! (Tom Sawyer-Red Barchetta-YYZ

Man you're absolutely right, on target! Been thinking it is indeed their kind of Holy Trinity for my ears too. No Rush album achieved that triple height at the start of it, 3 fire spitting in a row! This makes MP so special for me too, closing with their best instrumental ever, just The Main Monkey Business perhaps can reach YYZ league.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But I love Rush and can't stand The Police.
    Ditto!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Where's My Thing? perhaps can reach YYZ league.
    There, I fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    There, I fixed that for you.
    Good fix!