Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rush: Permanent Waves VS Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves - #2 after Hemispheres --- Moving Pictures is great but it hit too close to mainstream in some ways... and like Scrotum mentioned - as much I want to love The Camera Eye - it does ramble on over 11 mins and could be a great concise song at half that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Permanent Waves - #2 after Hemispheres --- Moving Pictures is great but it hit too close to mainstream in some ways... and like Scrotum mentioned - as much I want to love The Camera Eye - it does ramble on over 11 mins and could be a great concise song at half that.
    See I wouldn't change one measure of Camera - I just love the atmosphere it creates - even the beginning with the SOUND EFFECTS

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    See I wouldn't change one measure of Camera - I just love the atmosphere it creates - even the beginning with the SOUND EFFECTS
    Totally agree! This has always been one of my favorite Rush tracks. But to each their own. There's a lot I'd change in Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science, but I'm sure others wouldn't touch those. It's interesting to see other perspectives. I'm intrigued that PW has rated so well with folks here. I spun Hemispheres the other night, I think I'll tee up PW tonight.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Totally agree! This has always been one of my favorite Rush tracks. But to each their own. There's a lot I'd change in Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science, but I'm sure others wouldn't touch those. It's interesting to see other perspectives. I'm intrigued that PW has rated so well with folks here. I spun Hemispheres the other night, I think I'll tee up PW tonight.

Bill
    Dont get me wrong... I really like The Camera Eye but for my money I'd play Natural Science first every time.

Dont get me wrong... I really like The Camera Eye but for my money I'd play Natural Science first every time.
    Yeah, I hear you. I'm exactly the opposite, but like you enjoy both pieces.

I like "Natural Science" more than "Happy Birthday".

Both superb but Permanent Waves wins by quite a margin, every song is excellent indeed. One of my faves of ALL TIME, and its only 35 mins long!

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyMan View Post
    pfff.. coming back to this forum... and look what is just going on.

1) Moving Waves;
    2) Permanent Pictures.

But Permanent Pictures is all about these threads hahah
    I love Moving Waves (by Focus)
    And
    Permanent Waves, because it was the first Rush album I heard.

Man... you guys don't like to make it easy. I'll say Permanent Waves but a nose hair!

...and please don't refer to it as PW because I think you're speaking of Power Windows; which would not rate in my Top 5 Rush albums...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

This is like choosing between children... love em both!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

PW is their best music.
    MP is their best album for catapulting the band forward into mega-stardom.
    Both are remarkable collections of work.

I probably shouldn't say this, but over time I think "The Spirit of Radio" now seems a bit cheesy...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I probably shouldn't say this, but over time I think "The Spirit of Radio" now seems a bit cheesy...
    It's probably the sound effects.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

I think "The Camera Eye" epitomizes their peak of maturity as artistes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

When I listened to the albums from that era I thought Permanent Waves was the weakest of them all. I liked it the least. I prefer every other album from the second half of the 70's and almost all of their 80's stuff. I thought that the album from 1987 was too poppy and "Presto" from 1989 was very uneven but I think I prefer that one over Permanent Waves as well.
    Out of these two in this thread it's Moving Pictures by a mile.

The one album I never really warmed up to was Signals. I thought it was a major drop off from these two. I got way more mileage out of the oft maligned Grace Under Pressure.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I just dont listen to that song anymore. Been a long time since I enjoyed it.

Hard choice, but Moving Pictures just by a nose.
    And I also love The Camera Eye. MSG went bonkers kookie when Geddy sang "an angular mass of New Yorkers"
    I love Spirit of Radio. I don't think it's cheesy. I think the lyrics are sad give the state of musical radio today.

I like the atmosphere of the Pictures a lot, but the Waves contain more interesting playing. Waves over Pictures for me.

Quote Originally Posted by aokjoey View Post
    Hard choice, but Moving Pictures just by a nose.
    And I also love The Camera Eye. MSG went bonkers kookie when Geddy sang "an angular mass of New Yorkers"
    I love Spirit of Radio. I don't think it's cheesy. I think the lyrics are sad give the state of musical radio today.
    The lyrics are the best part.
    <sig out of order>

If anything, one over-elongated track is Jacob's Ladder... A fairly boring (because of its length) bolero than could've gained being edited to 4-mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Bill
    Natural science gains a lot with its final third segment, IMHO, but JL is over-elongated, but it's still the only other track I would save from Waves

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The one album I never really warmed up to was Signals. I thought it was a major drop off from these two. I got way more mileage out of the oft maligned Grace Under Pressure.
    Agree, I don't know how one can consider Signals as a "classic Rush" album... And my best buddy lived in one of tose neighbourhood filmed in that Subdivisions videoclip.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    ...and please don't refer to it as PW because I think you're speaking of Power Windows; which would not rate in my Top 5 Rush albums...
    well PW1 is edging out PW2 by quite a margin, but Waves doesn't make my top 8, while Windows is way down there...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Although, as said, Waves is my fave Rush, I never saw the brilliance of "Spirit of Radio". And "Jacob's Ladder" - to me - is just another excuse for a drawnout guitar solo (like "The Necromancer" from Caress); repetitive riff circles and little actual substance. "Natural Science" has more apparent purpose to it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think "The Camera Eye" epitomizes their peak of maturity as artistes.
    Absolutely, The Camera Eye is a great track and even Geddy's vocals don't 'screach' on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes, that's right. The album which gave us 'The Spirit Of Radio' and 'Free Will' would encourage no interest at all.
    They are the only two tracks played consistently on any Rush tour, everything else from that album gets neglected!