Thread: Pete Frame's Rock Family Trees

Pete Frame's Rock Family Trees

Anyone know if Frame has any new books in the pipeline? I love the three I have, and it looks like there are only four.
    http://familyofrock.net/

Soft Machinery: "Sadly the original art is lost so we cannot supply a high quality poster or print."
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Saw that

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A free font modeled after Pete Frame's handwriting.
    http://www.fontspace.com/frankenfonts/ff-nosebleed

I forget the name of the book, but there was this cool rock encyclopedia I own (currently in storage) which is the first place I saw Frame’s famous Family Trees.

And that font based on his handwriting is very cool!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

TBH, only the first one is essential for proggers and 70's fans, IMHO.

I was tempted to buy the third volume, but decided I didn't need it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I didn't realise there was a third volume, I'll have to get it as I love the first two. I'm not too bothered what the genre, they are just so interesting to read and little works of art in their own right.

The BBC did a series of documentaries related to these, with the same title. They are fascinating. The Yes/ELP one is perhaps of most interest here, but I also recommend the Merseybeat and Birmingham ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I forget the name of the book, but there was this cool rock encyclopedia I own (currently in storage) which is the first place I saw Frame’s famous Family Trees.

And that font based on his handwriting is very cool!
    The Harmony Encyclopedia Of Rock Music (or something like that). I believe the first edition came out in 78 or 79, and a new updated edition was put out every couple years throughout the 80's. Our local library always had the most recent edition. They had great, funny photo captions too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Harmony Encyclopedia Of Rock Music (or something like that). I believe the first edition came out in 78 or 79, and a new updated edition was put out every couple years throughout the 80's. Our local library always had the most recent edition. They had great, funny photo captions too.
    You are correct. The Harmony Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Rock.

I have the fourth edition, from 1983. Page 236 is 'The Trip To Asia ~ The Nice - Emerson Lake and Palmer - Yes' with entries for The Syn, Syndicats, Chris Farlowe's T-Birds as the lead-ins and ends with Asia.
    Last edited by bigbassdrum; 04-18-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor