Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2112 vs A Farewell to Kings vs Hemispheres

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I don't even have it in my top 10...
    Wow. This is the first time...etc, etc.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Am I the only one who far prefers Moving Pictures to any of these? I think that their compositional chops were far more refined by that point.

If I have to choose from those three, AFTK. They’re much better in bite-sized chunks; they didn’t ever really get the feel for the “side long prog epic.”
    I prefer Moving Pictures overall, but it isn't an option in this thread.
    I prefer A Farewell To Kings over Hemispheres over 2112.
    They all have great moments on them.

Nobody mentions "Tears." Hugh Syme's rich tron strings make it a highlight for me.

Hemispheres by a mile though. And "Circumstances" might be the biggest reason. What a punchy little gem. Geddy during the chorus is my favorite stratospheric singing in all of rock.

I think they deserve more credit for Cygnus Book 2. It's easy to write off as a poor man's Gates of Delirium. But...

It's a guitar/bass/drums power trio that did it. Not a format conducive to a successful symphonic prog epic but somehow they did it. I think the amount of instrumental color and atmosphere they achieved over an extended piece with this format is mind-blowing. Yeah, there are synths but they're used more for highlighting than real content. This piece is a huge advance from Lamneth or 2112, much more tightly constructed. They all three pushed themselves to their limits instrumentally, which I always admire. Peart constructed an engaging pulp sci-fi scenario that takes on a universal philosophical and political issue in a satisfying way and the music perfectly embraces it. Lifeson's huge opening chord with that gnarly 4th sticking out is to me the band's sonic signature. Any time I hear that chord construction used by another guitarist, it nails them as a Rush fan.

Also, I believe Kings/Hemispheres is a two-record set. No need to consider them separate albums.
    Last edited by undergroundrailroad; 04-07-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Between the sidelong 2112 and X-2, I tend to prefer the sometimes very naïve (narratively speaking) 2112 to the overly-complex (not to say obscure Greek mythology stuff) X-2...

Musically, I tend to think that outside its acoustic parts, the former features also more brilliant passages.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post

Also, I believe Kings/Hemispheres is a two-record set. No need to consider them separate albums.
    I guess I think of albums very differently. I have a hard time separating the music from the sound of the mix and the tone of the instruments. This is also one of the big reasons I prefer AFTK. Nothing else they did sounds quite like it. Grafting it together with Hemispheres would sound weird to me.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I guess I think of albums very differently. I have a hard time separating the music from the sound of the mix and the tone of the instruments. This is also one of the big reasons I prefer AFTK. Nothing else they did sounds quite like it. Grafting it together with Hemispheres would sound weird to me.
    The production and sound on Hemispheres is almost identical to Permanent Waves, IMO. I think it's more similar to that than AFTK.

Not that I spin these often at all these days, but I stupidly replaced my entire Rush catalog with supposed "improved" remasters via the old BMG club. I think Permanent Waves sounds like shit on that edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Between the sidelong 2112 and X-2, I tend to prefer the sometimes very naïve (narratively speaking) 2112 to the overly-complex (not to say obscure Greek mythology stuff) X-2...

Musically, I tend to think that outside its acoustic parts, the former features also more brilliant passages.
    2112 is the only one of their (admittedly, not too many) side-long epics I like that much. It was that suite which essentially made their name...at least outside of Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The production and sound on Hemispheres is almost identical to Permanent Waves, IMO. I think it's more similar to that than AFTK.
    I agree.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Not that I spin these often at all these days, but I stupidly replaced my entire Rush catalog with supposed "improved" remasters via the old BMG club. I think Permanent Waves sounds like shit on that edition.
    Ha! I did the same thing. Never really noticed PW sounding like crap. Don't listen to Rush much these days.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Ha! I did the same thing. Never really noticed PW sounding like crap. Don't listen to Rush much these days.
    Its really bright and thin-ish, at least that is what I thought last time i played it (few years back). I"m sure Jeff Carney can confirm or not.

I don't think the remasters from the 90s are that well thought of among audiophiles, but I don't have a problem with them...they are the only Rush CDs I've owned, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Too close to call between Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings...
    Same here. These are my two favorite Rush albums. I'd have to give the edge to AFTK though because that was the one that brought me solidly into the Rush camp. I was peripherally aware of them from seeing the Don Kirshner show in '74 and wondering about the 2112 album when I saw it in stores. But when I saw the AFTK videos on one of the midnight concert shows, I was blown away. Especially with the classical guitar since I'm a big fan of that instrument.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Hemispheres, easily.

My top three Rush albums are Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, and Hemispheres.

Its like asking me which of my wifes breasts I prefer.... answer? All three!!!

Gotta go with A Farewell to Kings because of Xanandu and Cygnus X-1. Hemispheres is a great album but....

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Its like asking me which of my wifes breasts I prefer.... answer? All three!!!
    I believe the extra one on the back is for slow dancing.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

2112 is my favourite my a country mile. Hemispheres and Farewell to Kings are joint second.

FTK was my 1st Rush album so always holds a special place over the rest. Hemis next with 2112 in last...
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I love Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, I love Mint Chip Ice Cream and I love fudge ripple ice cream

Butter brickle is far superior to any of those flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Am I the only one who far prefers Moving Pictures to any of these? I think that their compositional chops were far more refined by that point.
    No man, you are not the only one, here's one more vote to MP , as you can perfectly replace this threads's title by Different Stages Vs Exit... Stage Left , the albums that I proudly keep on shelves rather than those other three.
    Last edited by HarmonyMan; 04-16-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Xannnnnnnnnn aaaaaa dooooo oooooooooo ooooooooooo!

Oh yeah , love when Olivia Newton John sings that section