at
    Orion Studios
    2903 Whittington Ave
    Suite C
    Baltimore, MD
    USA 21230

----

FROGG CAFE

Frogg Cafe is a 5-piece band from the New York metropolitan area making music that incorporates elements of Zappa-esque progressive rock, pop melodicism and fusion jazz. Frogg Cafe's musicis also peppered with an appealing variety of other flavors, including latin music, bluegrass, modern chamber music and avant-garde/experimental. Energetic live shows feature extended flights of group improvisiation that would draw grins from any hardcore jam-band fan.

The members of this unique group are Nick Lieto (vocals, keyboards, trumpet, flugelhorn), Bill Ayasse (vocals, electric violin, mandolin), Andrew Sussman (vocals, bass, cello), John Lieto (vocals, trombone) and James Guarnieri (drums). Frogg Cafe studio albums also exploit the considerable talents of a regular supporting cast of guest musicians who supply trombone, marimba, flute, and additional percussion to their colorful and highly textured arrangements.

more info:
    http://froggcafe.wix.com/frogg-cafe

OUT OF THE BEARDSPACE

In a psychedelic explosion of sound and color, Out of the Beardspace expresses its wide range of emotions. Sections of improvisation flow seamlessly in and out of compositions which fuse jazz, pop, funk, rock, and more into a Beardly Beast that will certainly move you.

Having met as teenagers at the School of Rock, members of Beardspace have been making music together in some form or another for many years. As School of Rock students, they had the opportunity to tour in the US and Europe, perform with Rock Stars like Jon Anderson (Yes) and Perry Farrell (Janes Addiction), and play at music festivals like Lollapalooza in Chicago and Zappanale in Germany.

more info
    http://froggcafe.wix.com/frogg-cafe

DA RULZ:

Cover: $15 (cash at the door - the very nice man will take your money and stamp your *left* hand)

doors: 7:30 / show: 8:00

All-Ages Show

BYOB - Coolers Welcome

Small folding chairs recommended

driving directions
    http://www.orionsound.com/contactdirections/

Upcoming Shows:
    Saturday, May 7th: The Mercury Tree w/ Deaf Scene

MONDAY, May 16th: 7:30pm District 97 w/ Tiles & Jimmy Robinson

Saturday, May 21st: Bent Knee
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Hey guys, go to this! It's going to be wonderful. Wish I could.

I'll be there!

Tonite!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

How's the weather in the Land of Mary? We're getting pummeled by snow.

Pretty decent amount of snow-showering that looks impressive from the window of of Wayside HQ. It isn't sticking, but it's cold. brrrr.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

That's a bummer - hope it doesn't effect attendance.

Okay, so how was it?!

The sleet did not deter my journey, neither did it deter a pretty full house.
    Out of the Beardspace presented a slimmed down roster, 5 out of 7 members.
    They opened with "Proclamation" from Gentle Giant and a piece from Mahavishnu Orchestra tune ( name escapes me ) before launching into Beardspace tunes.
    Kept it pretty tight. The setlist was pretty much like the 'Intent to Express Pt. 1' cd.

Frogg Cafe was in full effect With a very cool ( as yet unreleased ) suite and a guest appearance from George Gierer to form Pluck and Rail for some psycho folk.
    Lots of proggy zydeco zappaesque goodness.
    A good time was had by one and all.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Really good turnout and really good show.

Since I already well knew how good FC are, I was pleased to see how much better as a band OOTB were since I saw them (and liked them) at Progday.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This is the fourth time I have seen Frogg Café live and the second time at Orion. They seem to save their best performances for Orion. Although I have enjoyed them each time I have seen them, the Orion shows are by far my favorites.

I'm not exactly sure why this band works. With no guitarist, a lead mandolin/violin, a trombone, a trumpet (or was that a flugelhorn??), plus a cello and banjo for a few songs, this is far from a traditional prog band. But somehow it all fits together because these guys are just amazing musicians.

The new songs sounded great. Their new CD, which we should see in 2016, is a must-have.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Really good turnout and really good show.

Since I already well knew how good FC are, I was pleased to see how much better as a band OOTB were since I saw them (and liked them) at Progday.
    I've been kept up to date somewhat thanks to Zach, who sends me their stuff on Youtube every so often. It's really amazing to see this band who (as you say), were great then and even better now.