Thread: Rush - 2112 Comic Book

Rush - 2112 Comic Book

http://www.rush.com/2112-comic-book-video-suite/

Pretty sweet narrative and illustration.

I'm not sure how long it will be online to see? but hopefully for awhile.

Of course this goes along with the 40th Anniversary of 2112, which came out April 1st, 1976.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That was excellent! Thanks for the link. Man, 2112 is just the best prog epic - really the first "one track" epic, if you can call it that, that I was exposed to. DSOTM and The Lamb paved the way for me, but 2112 was da bomb, for me.

Anyway, that "comic" was very well done. The only thing that I wasn't crazy about is that, according to MY interpretation of the track, they changed the ending a big o give it a happier ending. But I won't go into any more detail than that. Whatever, I enjoyed it, and it was a very nice enhancement of the experience of listening to 2112. A nice way to end what was already a great weekend for me.

Liked on Facebook!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyway, that "comic" was very well done. The only thing that I wasn't crazy about is that, according to MY interpretation of the track, they changed the ending a big o give it a happier ending
    That's exactly what I thought. We do have the same interpretation and the emotional ending of our interpretation is better

Yeah, undoing the protagonist's suicide was a bit chicken shit IMO, but understandable. Rush probably don't want the message going out that "If you can't get what you want in life just kill yourself."

But not bad. I would have fleshed it out a bit more visually, but whoever put this together was probably on a budget. Something like this was long overdue actually.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    This is the animation that is on the 5.1 Blu-ray they released about a year and half ago.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    But not bad. I would have fleshed it out a bit more visually, but whoever put this together was probably on a budget.
    My thoughts as well. It's funny, but I actually wanted to do something like this back when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    This is the animation that is on the 5.1 Blu-ray they released about a year and half ago.
    Do you mean a concert Blu-Ray, or is it on the 5.1 audio release of 2112?

Generally, ihf I like comic books, I'm not an anime fan (well this is sort of an anime), but I found this to be awesome.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Do you mean a concert Blu-Ray, or is it on the 5.1 audio release of 2112?
    The 5.1 Blu-ray audio release.
    Chad

The 5.1 Blu-ray audio release.
    Kind of surprised they didn't manage to stick it on one of the other BD's released since then. Too bad.

Anyway, that "comic" was very well done. The only thing that I wasn't crazy about is that, according to MY interpretation of the track, they changed the ending a big o give it a happier ending. But I won't go into any more detail than that. Whatever, I enjoyed it, and it was a very nice enhancement of the experience of listening to 2112. A nice way to end what was already a great weekend for me.
    According to The Making of 2112/MP, at least the way it's talked about there, is that this was always their interpretation of it. Personally, I think the solo in Soliloquy is a death solo and with the line "My lifeblood spills over" it always seemed to me that he dies at the end and the Priests take back control. Although, why would they assume control if they already had it? Not resume, assume, and that does lend credence to what they are saying.

Thirty years and I never thought there could be a different way to see this, then the freaking doc comes out and now I don't know what to think.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Personally, I think the solo in Soliloquy is a death solo and with the line "My lifeblood spills over" it always seemed to me that he dies at the end and the Priests take back control.
    I agree. What, does the guy see that the ships are attacking and quickly seek medical attention? It's a more tragic, better story if he dies.

I agree. What, does the guy see that the ships are attacking and quickly seek medical attention? It's a more tragic, better story if he dies.
    I think they are lying to themselves about the meaning of what they wrote thirty years ago when they were struggling musicians. It was all or nothing and they most likely thought they would fall on their asses and have to go home and work at dad's dealership and they aren't those people anymore. Hence why they identified with the character then and don't now.

They won but he didn't, then, yet they have re-interpretated - is that a word? - it to mean that he won because they did.

Does that make any fucking sense? It does to me, I can only hope you guys get what I'm saying.

Bloody hell, I hate art yet it fascinates me and I've been watching a bunch of Rick Steve's Europe, the travel dude who goes into great detail about ancient art. The interpretations of The Last Supper are endless and have spawned countless books and movies and I never really got into that sort of stuff but I'm getting older, and, supposedly wiser, so this type of stuff intrigues my frail and puny human brain.

I still think the guys who wrote the bloody song are wrong and that in itself is freaking hilarious. But what do I know?

Assume. Ass of you and me, or something like that, so they say.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Yeah...

Didn't like it then. Still don't like it. And don't get me started on the revisionist cover.

The album release seems to be celebrated these days on April 1, but it came out a few weeks before that. March 18 is one possible date, but apparently the exact date seems to be lost in the sands of time.

Is it more intersting than the album?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I think they are lying to themselves about the meaning of what they wrote thirty years ago when they were struggling musicians. It was all or nothing and they most likely thought they would fall on their asses and have to go home and work at dad's dealership and they aren't those people anymore. Hence why they identified with the character then and don't now.

They won but he didn't, then, yet they have re-interpretated - is that a word? - it to mean that he won because they did.

Does that make any fucking sense? It does to me, I can only hope you guys get what I'm saying.

Bloody hell, I hate art yet it fascinates me and I've been watching a bunch of Rick Steve's Europe, the travel dude who goes into great detail about ancient art. The interpretations of The Last Supper are endless and have spawned countless books and movies and I never really got into that sort of stuff but I'm getting older, and, supposedly wiser, so this type of stuff intrigues my frail and puny human brain.

I still think the guys who wrote the bloody song are wrong and that in itself is freaking hilarious. But what do I know?

Assume. Ass of you and me, or something like that, so they say.
    If you like that, try to find the shows with Sister Wendy talking about art. I'm actually not THAT into visual art myself, but her explanations are fascinating.