Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Ghost Rhythms - Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    And if you care about what we do and you don't pay for what we do, but you 'consume' what we do, congratulations. You have stuck it to the man.
    Steve, you know I love what you do. I try to keep up and buy a few releases from each batch to the best of my ability. Last year's Sonar release continues to be rewarding - just played it yesterday and it's absolutely flawless all the way through, IMO. Can't wait to get my hands on the new Bent Knee.

^ ^ ^

It wasn't directed at you either.

It's very personally frustrating to me having people say "You should release 'this'", when I have a very good reason (not a good musical reason, but a very good reason) for not being able to release 'this'.

I feel like I spend way too much of my day (and much more of my day than I used to) saying 'no thank you' to really good things and things I would really like to be able to release. I find it tiresome and somewhat soul-killing.

And I (foolishly) let my frustration be visible in this thread when I posted last night. Normally I do know better.

I'd delete my original comment, but it's too late and would make me look extra stupid in this thread. So, I'll settle for just 'stupid and soul dead'.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 04-04-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I feel like I spend way too much of my day (and much more of my day than I used to) saying 'no thank you' to really good things and things I would really like to be able to release. I find it tiresome and somewhat soul-killing.
    Last night you phoned me in your sleep and told us you'd sign us. Now you can't take back your word, even if you were only dreaming. I already bought some party hats and party balloons to celebrate the event.

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    Last night you phoned me in your sleep and told us you'd sign us. Now you can't take back your word, even if you were only dreaming. I already bought some party hats and party balloons to celebrate the event.
    :-)

You are a good sport, Xavier.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Someone posted this on FB and the rest is history..great cd..

^ ^ ^

It wasn't directed at you either.

It's very personally frustrating to me having people say "You should release 'this'", when I have a very good reason (not a good musical reason, but a very good reason) for not being able to release 'this'.

And I (foolishly) let my frustration be visible in this thread when I posted last night. Normally I do know better.

I'd delete my original comment, but it's too late and would make me look extra stupid in this thread. So, I'll settle for just 'stupid and soul dead'.
    I didn't think it was directed at me. I just thought I'd voice my appreciation.

Spun this again just the other day. Moody, mysterious and quite nice. Definitely one of the better things I heard last year.

Anyone tried the sync with Vertigo? (Great movie, btw) I need to get a copy and give it a go myself.

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    Spun this again just the other day. Moody, mysterious and quite nice. Definitely one of the better things I heard last year.

Anyone tried the sync with Vertigo? (Great movie, btw) I need to get a copy and give it a go myself.
    We are making the DVD. We really did sync it with the movie, so it's pretty easy to do. If you have some money to spend (I know, I know), you can preorder it :
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/me...der-vertighost

Thanks a lot for spinning us, it's an honor!

Xavier (drums, composition)

We are making the DVD. We really did sync it with the movie, so it's pretty easy to do. If you have some money to spend (I know, I know), you can preorder it :

Cool. My copy of the CD is being shipped right now from Sweden and the first thing I wanted to do is playing it alongside the Vertigo-DVD.
    With your DVD the experience will be complete. Pre-ordered.
    (!just 100 copies!)

While ordering this DVD I noticed this CD from Ghost Rhythms-keyboardplayer Camille Petit: https://ladywith.bandcamp.com/album/...ith-the-monkey
    Wonderful.
    Last edited by interbellum; 04-06-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: correcting the name of the keyboardplayer

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    While ordering this DVD I noticed this CD from Ghost Rhythms-keyboardplayer Jonathan Martin: https://ladywith.bandcamp.com/album/...ith-the-monkey
    Wonderful.
    Thanks a lot! The keyboard player is Camille Petit (he works on another disc for his side projet, Lady With. You've listened to his first). Jonathan Martin is our graphist. Thanks a lot for your support! I'll be shipping both as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot! The keyboard player is Camille Petit (he works on another disc for his side projet, Lady With. You've listened to his first). Jonathan Martin is our graphist. Thanks a lot for your support! I'll be shipping both as soon as possible.
    Whoops, I got a little too excited about that bandcamp-page and read the name of the graphist being the composer. Thanks in advance.

Whoops, I got a little too excited about that bandcamp-page and read the name of the graphist being the composer. Thanks in advance.
    No problem! And thanks again.

I just received the double-CD (it was still available in Sweden) and I wonder: If I sync it with the movie, do I start the movie with the opening-credits or with the first scene?
    Thanks, Xavier.

I just received the double-CD (it was still available in Sweden) and I wonder: If I sync it with the movie, do I start the movie with the opening-credits or with the first scene?
    Thanks, Xavier.
    Hey! You have to make sure the "V" from vistavision starts with the accordion!

Regards from Paris

Xavier

Hey! You have to make sure the "V" from vistavision starts with the accordion!

Regards from Paris

Xavier
    Thanks Xavier. I tried it for about half an hour, but I got the feeling something didn't match. Maybe the scenes are longer than the tracks or the other way arround. Well, I'll wait for the DVD to see what went wrong
    Strange experience b.t.w. to watch the movie without hearing the dialogues, but although I've seen Vertigo a couple of times already you can see other things every time.

As a side-note it might be interesting to know that Dutch author Kees 't Hart wrote a novel, called "Hotel Vertigo", in which a young boy is involved in making the movie. Years later he visits the hotel in which the film was shot to solve some things he did in the past. I don't think there's an English translation though. http://www.keesthart.com/categorie/i...=Hotel_Vertigo

image.jpg

While ordering this DVD I noticed this CD from Ghost Rhythms-keyboardplayer Camille Petit: https://ladywith.bandcamp.com/album/...ith-the-monkey
    Wonderful.
    Received this album today and I really like this. It has the same vibe as Ghost Rhythms, but somewhat friendlier.

Thanks Xavier. I tried it for about half an hour, but I got the feeling something didn't match. Maybe the scenes are longer than the tracks or the other way arround. Well, I'll wait for the DVD to see what went wrong
    Strange experience b.t.w. to watch the movie without hearing the dialogues, but although I've seen Vertigo a couple of times already you can see other things every time.

As a side-note it might be interesting to know that Dutch author Kees 't Hart wrote a novel, called "Hotel Vertigo", in which a young boy is involved in making the movie. Years later he visits the hotel in which the film was shot to solve some things he did in the past. I don't think there's an English translation though. http://www.keesthart.com/categorie/i...=Hotel_Vertigo

image.jpg
    Interesting. I'll catch it, might be interesting to have an english or french translation!
    Sorry for the delays about the DVD, we're a bit busy, I'll send it in the course of May!
    As for the synchronization it might depend of the DVD's reading speed. Well, in any case, when we finish the DVD i'll post here all the infos about synchronization for those interested!

Received this album today and I really like this. It has the same vibe as Ghost Rhythms, but somewhat friendlier.
    Thank you! Camille (keyboard player, cocomposer of Ghost Rhythms) is working on a follow-up. Thanks a lot for your interest, it's heart warming!

Thanks Xavier!

I keep finding myself spinning tracks from this album on a regular basis. This is hands down my winner for 2015 as it continues to grow on me.

So, when is the next full length release due, Xavier?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I keep finding myself spinning tracks from this album on a regular basis. This is hands down my winner for 2015 as it continues to grow on me.

Same here. I fact i spun the whole thing yesterday again. This album has a timeless quality that makes you sure you still will be playing it in 10 years from now.

This is why I keep coming back to this site - discovering exciting new (or old) music.

The YouTube clips sound great - cd & dvd ordered!!

I love this concept - the spiralling circling back of memory, which the music immediately evokes - from Bergson's new theory of memory to Proust's madeleine, on to Hitch, to Chris Marker (La Jetée), travelling back & forward through time, on to this beautiful sounding return. An infinite conversation, the past & the future endlessly folding back on, & creating anew, the present.

It seems like such a perfect inspiration for this music! - &, listening now to the download, in anticipation of the arrival of the cd, I have to say that this is just *wonderful* music! - sometimes, you listen to new music, & it immediately clicks with you, & you find yourself thrilled & smiling to yourself with joyful acknowledgement - this is how it is for me, at this very moment, listening to Carlotta Valdes (the little evocations of tango that periodically return are *perfect*!).
    Last edited by per anporth; 05-15-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    This is why I keep coming back to this site - discovering exciting new (or old) music.

The YouTube clips sound great - cd & dvd ordered!!

I love this concept - the spiralling circling back of memory, which the music immediately evokes - from Bergson's new theory of memory to Proust's madeleine, on to Hitch, to Chris Marker (La Jetée), travelling back & forward through time, on to this beautiful sounding return. An infinite conversation, the past & the future endlessly folding back on, & creating anew, the present.

It seems like such a perfect inspiration for this music! - &, listening now to the download, in anticipation of the arrival of the cd, I have to say that this is just *wonderful* music! - sometimes, you listen to new music, & it immediately clicks with you, & you find yourself thrilled & smiling to yourself with joyful acknowledgement - this is how it is for me, at this very moment, listening to Carlotta Valdes (the little evocations of tango that periodically return are *perfect*!).
    Thanks so much for so musch praise, and I'm more than happy to read your comment. I think La Jetée (with the Dark Side of the Rainbow legend) triggered all this, so you are spot on. We have an interview in english explaining a bit of this and that (in french, sorry) : http://www.arlequins.it/pagine/artic...te.asp?chi=334

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

Sorry I didn't read that ! All apologies. Thanks for spinning us, we get a bit dizzy! As for the next full length CD, we're planning to do a "live in studio" thing. Our idea is to create an imaginary club, with lights and projection and so and so, and playing our tunes reorchestrated for the full ensemble. A bit of work, as you can imagine... It will be titled Live at Yoshiwara (it's the name of the club in the Metropolis movie). I'm planning to deliver it some time in 2017.