Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1987 and 1989 recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    One Norway band/album that I find is totally unsung is Ravana's Common Daze (ok, it dates from 96, though
    I'm not settled about it... my wife owned a copy and at the times I remember loving the first song (an excellent cross of the Anekdoten/Landberk school and Pink Floyd), but the remaining material left me cold. Probably they had an indie flavor not up to my tastes but I may be mistaken cause it's been ages since I had a full listen. Should dig it up for a relisten if it's still in the house...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^

There are some very good melodic ideas and certainly a genuinely melancholy vibe to that Ravana CD, but the overly raunchy post-grunge vocals and stuffed guitar distortion pretty much kills it off. I'm glad I kept it, tho'. However, to namecheck it as "the best ever Norwegian album" is... Well, I won't even say.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One Norway band/album that I find is totally unsung is Ravana's Common Daze (ok, it dates from 96, though )
    Something's sooooooo bloodily melancholic about the album, yet there is an anger so clearly present as well. It oozes pain.
    I find it Norway's best all-time album, TBH - well ahead of Panzerpappa and Elephant9

It's probably quite hard to find by now
    I have that Ravana album and I really love it. Would like to have more by them. Great album. Got it to write a review and I think I was very positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

There are some very good melodic ideas and certainly a genuinely melancholy vibe to that Ravana CD, but the overly raunchy post-grunge vocals and stuffed guitar distortion pretty much kills it off. I'm glad I kept it, tho'. However, to namecheck it as "the best ever Norwegian album" is... Well, I won't even say.
    I used to call Ravana the progressive Nirvana

and in some ways, word pun aside, it wasn't totally false either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I used to call Ravana the progressive Nirvana

and in some ways, word pun aside, it wasn't totally false either.
    Could be. I liked that rough edge and the Fender piano.

^

I'm all for rough edges, but not in this sense and context. The Ravana singer is much better in quieter parts of the record, where you can easily detect his affinities with soul music. I also think they should have notched up the loungy bits and eased on the quasi-metallic ones.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    1987:
    Zappa-Jazz From Hell
    French Frith Kaiser & Thompson-Live Love Larf & Loaf
    Al Di Meola-Tirami Su
    Michael Brecker-s/t
    Bass Desires-Second Sight
    Pat Metheny-Still Life Talking
    Jazz From Hell and Tirami Su are both great work.
    They are also both examples of the SYNCLAVIER making it's way into prog recording.
    Both artists also toured with the SYNCLAVIER in tow and made it part of the live act.
    Good stuff..................

One Norway band/album that I find is totally unsung is Ravana's Common Daze (ok, it dates from 96, though )
    Something's sooooooo bloodily melancholic about the album, yet there is an anger so clearly present as well. It oozes pain.
    I find it Norway's best all-time album, TBH - well ahead of Panzerpappa and Elephant9

It's probably quite hard to find by now
    And I think it's quite mediocre, which means that the divergence in taste betwixt us remains consistent.

Man, the 80's were brutal.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Man, the 80's were brutal.
    Brutally fantastic for some of us.

Interesting discussion, especially since Thule was mentioned.
    For my money Natt is the best record that has ever been made in Norway. But I agree with Richard that the lyrics may stop foreigners from fully appreciating it. Also, the interpretation of modern Western history through the lens of an arctic night might be a bit esoteric for some. But bloody hell, what an album. And done on a 4-track tape recorder. The passion, the darkness, the wildness. Unbeatable.

Another Norwegian gem from the era (1989) is Joah's Ark & the Beasts' "Speilet", a rather deranged mixture of modern Scandinavian Maypole anthems and Barrett-esque psych-rock. A Harvest release, in fact. Must be heard to be believed. Some heavy hitters from the 70s Norwegian scene on that album, all presumably out of their minds on acid while they recorded this in a commune somewhere in the deep Norwegian woods (true story).

As for Ravana - it was an interesting album, I was around the scene when it was made. They represented a different axis of prog to the typical retro-sound in Scandinavia at the time. It's an interesting mixture of grunge and prog, but it hasn't really stood the test of time very well. The writing is so-so, and the musicianship as well. But kudos for a different take on prog. Of course it had nothing to do with the 80s, I think it was released in '95 or so.

My favorites for the years in question (at least some of them).
    Some of them not mentioned before I think.

Iva Bittova and Pavel Fajt - Bittova & Fajt (might be 1988?, not sure)
    Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
    Doctor Nerve - Armed Observation
    Charles Hayward - Survive the Gesture
    Lars Hollmer & Looping Home Orchestra - Vendeltid
    Roberto Musci & Giovanni Venosta - Water Messages on Desert Sand
    Univers Zero - Heatwave (or is this from 1986?)
    Ur Kaos - Ur Kaos
    Wondeur Brass - Simoneda, reine des esclaves

Fulano - En el bunker
    Horizont - The Portrait of a Boy
    Isildurs Bane - Cheval - Volonté de rocher
    Lach'n Jonsson - Songs from Cities of Decay
    Opus Avantra - Strata
    Thinking Plague - In This Life

Cooper, Lindsay Oh, Moscow
    Great one, but released in 1991, I think.

The Bears - S/T
    DB's - The Sound of Music
    Game Theory - Lolita Nation

Giraffe - The View From Here

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Thinking Plague - Moonsongs
    Dr Nerve - Armed Observation
    David Sylvian - Secrets Of The Beehive
    Dead Can Dance - Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun

Naked City - s/t
    Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent
    Cardiacs - On The Land & In The Sea
    Lindsay Cooper - Oh Moscow
    Pixies - Doolittle
    Neil Young - Freedom
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^

I'm all for rough edges, but not in this sense and context. The Ravana singer is much better in quieter parts of the record, where you can easily detect his affinities with soul music. I also think they should have notched up the loungy bits and eased on the quasi-metallic ones.
    Checked yesterday and the CD isn't in the house anymore. Probably we gave it away ages ago. Shall check to Spotify or YT for a relisten... By having such memory lapses (very rare for me when it comes to music), I'm convinced that it didn't made any impression at all.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Another Norwegian gem from the era (1989) is Joah's Ark & the Beasts' "Speilet", a rather deranged mixture of modern Scandinavian Maypole anthems and Barrett-esque psych-rock. A Harvest release, in fact. Must be heard to be believed. Some heavy hitters from the 70s Norwegian scene on that album, all presumably out of their minds on acid while they recorded this in a commune somewhere in the deep Norwegian woods (true story).
    An excellent one indeed...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^

I haven't heard this one in years but I remember his vocals didn't seem to suit the music and overall I was disappointed because I usually love these melancholic albums. I need to re-visit maybe this weekend because my tastes have changed quite a bit over the years.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Greetings,

Here are a few of my picks....

1987:

GLENN ALEXANDER - Glenn Alexander
    JEAN PASCAL BOFFO - Carillons
    PAT METHENY GROUP - STILL life (talking)
    ASTOR PIAZZOLLA - The Central Park Concert

1989:

CARDIACS - On Land and in the Sea
    CONGRESO - Para los arqueologos del futuro
    ISILDURS BANE - Cheval — Volonté de rocher
    VIENNA - Progress

Cheers,

Alan

1987 - David Sylvian Secrets of the Beehive
    1989 - Jethro Tull Rock Island

1987 Holger Czukay Rome Remains Rome

1987 PF- A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Marillion- Clutching at Straws

1989 King's X- Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
    Fates Warning- Perfect Symmetry
    Dream Theater- When Dream and Day Unite
    Marillion- Season's End
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

As I started looking for albums, I realized it was pretty slim picking for prog these 2 years...oh well...limiting it to 5 per year, I'd go with...

Dukes of Stratosfear - Chips from the Chocolate Fireball (more psychedelic than prog but lots of fun...XTC under a different name)
    Niadem's Ghost - In Sheltered Winds (Peter Nichols band during his hiatus from IQ...not that proggy but if you love Nichols voice it's a must have)
    Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Sad Lovers and Giants - The Mirror Test (not generally considered prog but very close in my book)
    Tull - Crest of a Knave

Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was Death (like a cross between a black & white horror movie and a prog band)
    Edith - A Space Between Ever and Never (Italian neo-prog band...English lyrics)
    Marillion - Season's End
    Peter Murphy - Deep (more goth-rock than prog but many good moments)
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Stay with it as this is the full version. Technically, it is "The Road To Hell: Parts I & II (U.K. Edit)"
    I quite enjoy the guitar work here.
    The full version is three minutes longer, 9:20. It opens with a traffic announcemet by Mr. Matti Kyllönen saying "Ruuhka-aikoja ja ruuhkasuuntia pyritään välttämään. Työt kestävät noin viikon, ja sitten on taas autoilijoilla uusi..."

The full album, and better sound quality

Banned
    I know it was 6 months later in 1990, but Toy Matinee and Kevin Gilbert was awesome.

I'm 1987, Kevin and Giraffe released The Power of Suggestion.