Thread: I Giganti - Terra in Bocca (alternative version)

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar

I Giganti - Terra in Bocca (alternative version)

One of my alltime favorite Italian Prog albums. I have this on CD. Years ago I found out there's an alternative version. I also have that, on CDr. What I'd really like is a physical, original copy. Could anyone here point me in the right direction? I gather it's not easy to find? And not cheap?
    Meanwhile ... enjoy:

HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

The two different versions are on the CD Vinyl Magic reissues. Unfortunately they have the same release number (VM013) but you can tell the different version by the release date: the 1989 edition has the 44 mins demo edited version which the band presented to the label and the 1993 one is relatively longer (46 mins) and uses the original album mix found on the LP. Some say that the demo material was officially issued on cassette by RiFi in 1972, so you have different versions also on the 1971 LP and the 1972 cassette.

The easiest way to discriminate the two Vinyl Magic CD versions, is that the 1989 edition disk is colorless, while the 1993 has a red horizontal stripe. The Akarma LP/CD versions and the japanese CD on Belle Antique have the longer, demo version as well + one bonus track. There is also a japanese Belle Antique CD version with the LP (longer mix).

Both Vinyl Magic CD versions go for around $50. Belle Antique version is around the same price. The Acarma can be found around $35 and includes the poster.

If you need an original LP expect to pay around $500 (there's one up on Discogs right now) but you can get any LP reissue as they all contain the original long LP version (+ a bonus track in Akarma's case).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have a King Records release from the early 90s.
    HuGo

HuGo

The King CD is the LP (long version). So practically, as "original" you need the 44mins demo edition which is only on the 1989 Vinyl Magic CD and the early 70s cassette.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have a peculiar Version of that Album that came with a book (in Italian (about the Mafia I think) a few years ago.

Does anyone know which Version is on that one?

I'm assuming you could put it in a CD player and find out if it's 44 or 46 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I'm assuming you could put it in a CD player and find out if it's 44 or 46 minutes
    Haha, I did. It's the LP Version...

It just wasn't that easy as this one has a different Bonus track..

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Does anyone know which Version is on that one?
    Tell me the release label and I'll let you know.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The King CD is the LP (long version). So practically, as "original" you need the 44mins demo edition which is only on the 1989 Vinyl Magic CD and the early 70s cassette.
    I once had a copy of the 1972 Rifi factory cassette but it contained the same version as the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by nnknsh View Post
    I once had a copy of the 1972 Rifi factory cassette but it contained the same version as the LP.
    Have you checked the actual playing time (not the one written on the cover)? I've been told it is the different version.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Have you checked the actual playing time (not the one written on the cover)? I've been told it is the different version.
    It was the first version of this album I've got (around 1984 or so) and basically remembered the album through it, so I can say for sure.

Bought the first VM CD immediately when it came out as I quite liked the cassette. Needless to say that I was very much surprised upon playing it.
    The difference are instantly recognizable as the opening is vastly different -the original starting with a grandiose intro by a full band featuring the keyboards at the fore, but the VM version starts with a rather straightforward folkish song only accompanied with an acoustic guitar.

BTW, to add more confusion there was a rumor that the cassette edition contains LONGER version than the vinyl(also in the 80s), but that was proved as false ...

Not sure that this helps, but this book is sold with a cd version of the album. I have no idea which one it is.
    I have the °demo° version cd, and dig it a lot.
    http://www.amazon.it/bocca-Quando-gi.../dp/886089042X

Quote Originally Posted by ske View Post
    Not sure that this helps, but this book is sold with a cd version of the album. I have no idea which one it is.
    I have the °demo° version cd, and dig it a lot.
    http://www.amazon.it/bocca-Quando-gi.../dp/886089042X
    Yep, that the one I got. It is most likley the Akarma Version of the Album.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
    Trying to find this album online isn't that easy though. Even if I go to Discogs I get confused. I know the "demo" is around 44 minutes (see YT video in my first post) but over there the people get the running times mixed up. So basically I'm still not sure which one I should actually buy/ which one is on offer.
    HuGo

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Trying to find this album online isn't that easy though. Even if I go to Discogs I get confused. I know the "demo" is around 44 minutes (see YT video in my first post) but over there the people get the running times mixed up. So basically I'm still not sure which one I should actually buy/ which one is on offer.
    This Version: (if you want the Demo one, everthing else is the LP Version)

https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/release/6809246?ev=rb
    Last edited by TheH; 04-06-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Price is a tad steep for me atm. Although I don't think it will get any cheaper over the years.
    HuGo

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    The demo is the 1989 Vinyl Magic CD version. All others are the original LP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS