Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr: Better than Bruford

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Topper Headon was very good, and of course Stewart Copeland who's highly placed, although of course there's always been debate over The Police being punk.
    The Police were punk? So, it was they that tried to kill prog! I thought as much. LOL
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

A list obviously put together by a non-drummer who never listened to the albums. No Carl Palmer (of that little bar band Emerson, Lake and Palmer)? No Lenny White (of Return to Forever)? No Mike Shrieve (Santana - watch Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock for Christ's sake!)? No Cozy Powell (Rainbow and Jeff Beck)?

Fucking stupid list!
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Sorry old chap, but I don't buy that at all. How can anyone that knows "music as well as do most of us" consider Ringo to be a better drummer than Neil Peart or Charlie Watts to be better than John Bonham?

I think it helps to look at RS's readership. (If they can indeed read.)
    First of all, they don't. Look at the article in question, where Nos. 1-to-4 are Bonham, Moon, Baker, and Peart, in order. All monster players with very different styles. Meanwhile, Charlie is No. 12 and Ringo is No. 14.

But to consider your question on a larger scale, it comes down to this: Because they have different standards. After those first few standouts, they're much more likely to praise minimal, play-for-the-song pocket drummers, masters of the expected and appropriate, and greatly prefer them to musical extroverts like almost any major prog drummer you can name. These are guys who just love classic Sixties hit records above all else, or more recent punk that pays stylistic tribute to classic hits. So they save their greatest praise for old-time sessionmen like Hal Blaine or Bernard Purdie or Roger Hawkins, who could come up with some perfect little lick that made a hit record into a hit.

Indeed, I'm surprised that Peart, Bruford, and Vander made it in at all.

Haha, what a joke. I will always remember a review of a "bad plus" record. Where the reviewer said the drummer was so bad, so ham-fisted, so clumsy that he made Ginger Baker sound like Philly Joe Jones .

Personally, I think the bad plus drummer is probably better than that.

And no Barrie Barlow of Tull? Are they trying to say that Charlie Watts slumping through an album tapping his snare and high-hat is better than Barlow on Thick as a Brick or A Passion Play?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Hasn't Rolling Stone disgraced itself enough with their UVa rape hoax story?

Pip Pyle? Pierre Moerlen? Simon Phillips?

(Meg White??????)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    A list obviously put together by a non-drummer who never listened to the albums. No Mike Shrieve (Santana - watch Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock for Christ's sake!)? No Cozy Powell (Rainbow and Jeff Beck)?
    Look again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    It's Rolling Stone. They generally have a collective IQ slightly less than Granite. They display that IQ properly here.
    Let's not insult granite, it's far more interesting than Rolling Stone...

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Hasn't Rolling Stone disgraced itself enough with their UVa rape hoax story?
    Let's not forget the Boston marathon bomber who made the cover. Disgusting.

I'm surprised Gavin Harrison is not on this list. Really.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Look again.
    I'm referring to the top 25, I didn't bother looking at the RS list. Why would I want to upset myself further?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I'm referring to the top 25, I didn't bother looking at the RS list. Why would I want to upset myself further?
    Why get upset at all? It's a fucking list.

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    Let's not forget the Boston marathon bomber who made the cover. Disgusting.
    No more disgusting than when they put Charles Manson on the cover.

For my tastes, I still think the intro to Get Off Of My Cloud is one of the most exciting things in rock n roll. As much as I like Bruford, I can't think of anything I've heard him do that contains that kind of excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Why get upset at all? It's a fucking list.
    Yeah, they had to make sure they spread their choices across most of the genres and include the ones that made the cover of the ragazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    No Nick Mason, Mike Portnoy, Marco Minneman, Chad Wackerman etc. etc. etc.

But Meg White made the list.
    The CEO of eBay made the list? They must sure be looking for favors.

Probably should see Aynsley Dunbar in there somewhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Bruford placed higher in this drummer list than either Robert Fripp (42) or Steve Howe (69) did when they put out their 100 greatest guitarists list a few years ago so this represents "sort of" progress on the Yes/Crimson appreciation front.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Rolling Stone publishes another list.

Everyone gets angry about it.

They get tons of clicks.

Mission accomplished.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This list is about half as preposterous as many an internal voting I've come across amongst the "prog" commune. So RS allegedly don't know better? Big deal for sure.

"Where's Mike Portnoy?!" Sorry, but the dude would likely be almost as bewildered in Yugen as ol' Charlie Watts would in Dream Theater. So what.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

april 1st. revised edition tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Bruford placed higher in this drummer list than either Robert Fripp (42) or Steve Howe (69) did when they put out their 100 greatest guitarists list a few years ago so this represents "sort of" progress on the Yes/Crimson appreciation front.
    Yep... You spotted the method of all Rolling Stone lists. Not just with the KC bunch. Making RS lists the most laughable and uninformed.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I notice everyone seems to have already forgotten this:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...Stone-magazine
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

This is really a list of the most popular drummers, not the best. So you can igore the title completely.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    This is really a list of the most popular drummers, not the best. So you can igore the title completely.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally