Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mercury Tree - Permutations (2016)

The Mercury Tree - Permutations (2016)

released today. Anyone heard it? thoughts?

https://themercurytree.bandcamp.com/

a1623186889_16.jpg

1. Symptoms 06:59
    2. Exhume the Worst 04:56
    3. Permutations 10:42
    4. Ether/Ore 04:08
    5. Placeholder 04:32
    6. Unintelligible 05:06
    7. Sympathesizer 04:42
    8. Seek and Release 05:46
    9. Prometheist 09:00
    10. Deep Five 10:32

Not yet, but I'll be downloading it the minute I get home tonight. I heard a lot of the new songs at a Chicago concert mid last year, and the new material sounded absolutely killer, with off the charts riffs, and lots of experimentation. I'm anticipating something special.

neil

I'll be catching them Saturday night in their own basement.

I'll be seeing them with Stop Motion Orchestra and Opposite Day here in Austin at the end of April... cant wait!

Nice to see them chugging along, saxophone seems like a cool addition.
    Mercury Tree was one of the highlights if Progday last year IMO, just listened to Countenance last week in fact, very interested in the new one.

Having seen them last summer in Chicago and then a week later at Progday, this is an autobuy here.

BTW, even if I just thought their music was "meh" (it's somewhat better than that), I'd still buy it because I had a great deal of fun hanging out with Ben, Connor & Oliver in IL & NC last summer.

Johnnybrotzer: Please give the lads a (figurative) kiss & hug from the old man.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I didn't know this was coming out. Great news. Love this band.
    The Prog Corner

Had my first spin last night. Wow, some pretty crazy, experimental stuff going on here. They never take the easy way out. Lots of killer riffs and interesting chord progressions and arrangements happening, but going to need more listens to take it all in. And those listens, will be shortly forthcoming!

neil

Not familiar with this band at all. Will check out that Bandcamp link this weekend.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

This new one is blowing my head apart... its so damn good. I'm impressed as hell. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing them at the end of the month with Stop Motion Orchestra and Opposite Day!

My current favorites - Unintelligible and Permutations -- the mean Zappa sounding tone on Unintelligible is just sick. SICK!

Picked this one up last night...

What a listen!!

Today at work was pretty entertaining...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

What a show! Last night was stellar. These guys can bring it - young and ready to blow your ears off. I'm so impressed with all three of those guys... to be a 3-piece band and play what they play - you've got special talent. Connor is only 23 and is already a big drumming influence on my son... Ben is basically Geddy Lee - playing guitar - setting loops - play over them - holding notes while playing keyboard parts - more pedals than you can shake a stick at the manage... a real treat watching how it all comes together. Oliver on bass... what can I say... his tone and use of space inside such complex stuff is incredibly cool.

I HIGHLY recommend you see them if they come to town. Right now they need all the support they can get... rough business out there on the road these days!

Yeah, go see them live. Oliver has some old-school Mike Patton in his veins too, if that is your cup of tea.

Lovely guys, brilliant band
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    bump.

new EP "Cryptic Tree" available

https://themercurytree.bandcamp.com/album/cryptic-tree
    Love the microtones! Heavy stuff too. GOod un!!

I am digging the new EP, but for anyone stumbling onto this band for the first time because it's currently on the front page, Permutations is probably my favorite record of the decade. It's not often that I run into music that is simultaneously so adventurous and so catchy. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dfan View Post
    I am digging the new EP, but for anyone stumbling onto this band for the first time because it's currently on the front page, Permutations is probably my favorite record of the decade. It's not often that I run into music that is simultaneously so adventurous and so catchy. Check it out.
    Permutations is my favorite too - it really shines across the board.

bump.

new album "Spidermilk" coming out on March 26th. 1st single streaming there.

https://themercurytree.bandcamp.com/album/spidermilk

a0148634231_16.jpg

bump.

new album "Spidermilk" coming out on March 26th. 1st single streaming there.

a0148634231_16.jpg
    Yes!

Also yes!

neil

bump.

new album came out on Thursday April 4th.

A mammoth project of over two years, this is our first full-length album composed entirely in microtonal tuning using 17 notes per octave. Using an assortment of custom-built instruments and synthetic sounds, and a newly expanded lineup, we've tried to craft something that's beautiful yet completely unfamiliar. We hope these novel pitches, typically rarely heard by the average music listener, will introduce you to an alien and fascinating world, yet one that's still rich with humanity and emotion.

bump.

new album came out on Thursday April 4th.

Been thru it about 5 times now - getting better every listen. Man - those 17 notes per octave are hitting me real nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Been thru it about 5 times now - getting better every listen. Man - those 17 notes per octave are hitting me real nice too.
    Yes! Only one listen in, and at first I was wondering if I could jump down the micro-tonal rabbit hole, but they have crafted something truly unique AND listenable. In a musical world where the word progressive gets thrown around pretty liberally, this measures up.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 04-09-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Bought it, if only for immediately understanding that this is a real progressive band, who's set to create something fresh and unique. I am still uncertain about how much I can connect to the music (I got the same sensation from Permutations, but I think this latest is more approachable).