Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands like Jellyfish - are there any more out there?

Bands like Jellyfish - are there any more out there?

I have been listening to a lot of Jellyfish lately, and I was wondering - Is this style of music still being created today? - I know its not "Prog", therefore may only be mentioned marginally here at PE, but I would sure like to hear more of this kind of music. Where would I find a band or artist like them? I've already picked up the "catnip Dynamite" type offshoots from the band itself. But is great pop like this still being created in 2016? Am I missing some real gems? I know this is not a proper forum for this type of stuff, but is there someplace where great music like this is supported? I certainly would not have a lot of interest in what is currently labeled "Pop".

I have heard the term "intellipop" to describe this genre, but searching under that comes up with very limited suggestions. Any other genre I should be searching under?

Suggestions please?

Ever hear OK GO?

Maybe not on par with Jellyfish, but here is an excellent psychedelically-tinged pop band from Chicago called Secret Colours:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just did. Nice songs, but not alot of real instruments involved. I'm looking for real musicianship. It may be a lost cause.

Got BEN FOLDS FIVE?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Ever hear OK GO?
    Hmm....interesting. I'm familiar, because a buddy absolutely loves these guys. I only know them from their elaborate videos.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jellyfish' Spilt Milk is among my top 10 prog/pop favorites of all time. If you - like me - love the Queen-ish close harmony and musical-style arrangements, I'd bet you like Valensia, a Dutch one-hit wonder (although he was successful for many years in Japan). His oeuvre is drenched with Queen influences

Here's the clip of his debut song Gaia:

--------------------------------------
    The Parallel Universe of
    Gallico

I'm a big fan of the first fun. album Aim and Ignite. While they became *huge* with their second album and the single "We Are Young", the first album is a much more organic pop gem.

Last edited by mitchgx; 03-30-2016 at 02:46 PM.

You copy and paste the video and place the word video inside square brackets in front of your link, and the word /video inside square bracket at the end of it:

[ video ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Ap25XVVk8 [ /video ] ( I put in spaces so you can see what I mean)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Didn't realize that wasn't fun.'s first album. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx
    eta: dumb question, but how do you embed a YouTube video?
    You have to paste your link between video code: put "video" between brackets [] and then /video between brackets[].

So, it's [ video ]link [ /video ] (without the spacing in the brackets)
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Another band that comes to mind (and I don't know if they're still around or not) is Jackdaw4. I don't know a ton about them, but I've got a couple of their albums and find them quite enjoyable, and Jellyfish seems a distinct influence.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    Another band that comes to mind (and I don't know if they're still around or not) is Jackdaw4. I don't know a ton about them, but I've got a couple of their albums and find them quite enjoyable, and Jellyfish seems a distinct influence.
    Wow, amazing stuff. Need to go and search for their albums. Thanks for the suggestion!
    The Parallel Universe of
    Gallico

To me Jellyfish were a totally unique band and I have never really found anything else that compares. I may get shot for this, but one band that sometimes reminds me a bit of Jellyfish is Panic At The Disco, especially the "Pretty Odd" album which has some similarities to my ears:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    To me Jellyfish were a totally unique band and I have never really found anything else that compares. I may get shot for this, but one band that sometimes reminds me a bit of Jellyfish is Panic At The Disco, especially the "Pretty Odd" album which has some similarities to my ears:

Gezz, everyone thinks they're going to get shot for liking some pop. Enjoy yourself. Besides, I don't even know where Kalamazoo is.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 03-31-2016 at 02:55 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Q7f00[/video

Got BEN FOLDS FIVE?
    Not sure how much he reminds me of Jellyfish, but great pop for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Gezz, everyone thinks their going to get shot for liking some pop. Enjoy yourself. Besides, I don't even know where Kalamazoo is.
    LOL, yea well, after posting about Cheap Trick a few weeks ago and being told how lame they are by a few people, sometimes I am cautious. Regarding Kalamazoo.......get a map and draw a straight line between Chicago and Detroit. At the half way point between the two cities you will find Kalamazoo.

An hommage to Jellyfish? "The Jellyfish Song" by The Help Desk.

https://www.reverbnation.com/thehelp...jellyfish-song

Good call!

LOL, yea well, after posting about Cheap Trick a few weeks ago and being told how lame they are by a few people, sometimes I am cautious.
    Fuck em! if you like the music, it's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Suggestions please?
    try these. you may very well like some of them. Indie/Power Pop/Alt mostly

2016 Kakkmaddafakka - KMF (Norway) May God
    2016 Milk 'N' Cookies - Milk 'N' Cookies 1973 - 75 (USA) (Dee, Dee You're) Stuck On A Star
    2016 Pony Pony Run Run - Voyage Voyage (France) Belong
    2016 Parachute - Wide Awake (USA)

2015 Ash Kablammo! (Northern Ireland/UK) Cocoon
    2015 Space Heater - Eventually (USA)

2015 Tom Sorem - Tom Sorem (USA) I Am Yours
    2015 Tommy Keene - Laugh In The Dark (USA) Out Of My Mind
    2014 The Dollyrots - Barefoot + Pregnant (USA)

2014 Sloan - Commonwealth (Canada) You've Got A Lot On Your Mind
    2013 Bleu - To Hell With You (USA) In My Own Little World
    2012 David Myhr - Soundshine (Sweden) Wanderlust
    2012 The CRY! - The CRY! (USA) Modern Cinderella
    i.ain't.dead.irock

[QUOTE=Good call![/QUOTE]

I have never explored any of their other albums, but "Pretty Odd" is really good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post

Suggestions please?
    If you're not already familiar with The Wondermints then start diggin' in, there's a goldmine to be discovered

Dennis Diken of The Smithereens put out a damn fine record a few years ago

An obscure gem of a band

LOL, yea well, after posting about Cheap Trick a few weeks ago and being told how lame they are by a few people....
    No hard core "only prog" fanatic here. I've met some incredible pop musicians in my time, who also happened to be extremely cool people, so whatever floats someone's musical boat is fine with me.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

LOL, yea well, after posting about Cheap Trick a few weeks ago and being told how lame they are by a few people, sometimes I am cautious.
    Not to completely derail but i've been hearing the new Cheap Trick on the radio, bummed there's no Bun E but damn this is really some of the best they've done in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Not to completely derail but i've been hearing the new Cheap Trick on the radio, bummed there's no Bun E but damn this is really some of the best they've done in a long time.
    I have not picked up the new one yet, but I think their last two prior to that (“Rockford” and “The Latest” have been really strong.

Glad someone else mentioned fun. Aim & Ignite is a definite gem.

Some (lesser-known, why I’m not listing Raspberries and Big Star) vintage stuff worth checking out:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...