Thread: Christopher Cross

Christopher Cross

Not a fan at all, but heard a song the other day and forgot that he actually plays guitar solos that are decent. I remember seeing him on 70's shows and was surprised at his playing...anybody know what his backround ? Was he a studio player who just became a pop star...

Wow. From the Wikipedia link, Cross filled in for Blackmore in Deep Purple in 1970?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

A girl dragged me to see him in probably 1979 and I couldn't believe how great a guitar player he was. But he cut short every solo to like about 15 seconds.

Wow, you still learn something new every day! As big a music geek as I like to think myself, I just thought CC was a songwriter who got lucky and was able to record his own material in spite of his atypical pop-star image. I had no idea about the guitar.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Well, if you can handle good 80s soft-pop, I think "Another Page" (1983) is a very good album with only good songs, some of them quite brilliant. It was produced by Michael Omartian, also a name I think might ring a bell around here.

I thought Christopher Cross's guitarist was Eric Johnson, at least on that record with Sailing on it. That was Eric's "big break"!

I know that Christopher Cross was on one track on The Electromagnet's album (Eric Johnson's '70s band).

Seems like I remember Cross did some backing vocals on Eric Johnson's Venus Isle album as well.