Thread: A weird take on "Take Five"

A weird take on "Take Five"

cool stuff!

GetTV has been airing The Judy Garland Show and I happened on this while channel surfing. So, I had to see if it was on YT.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't find it all that weird, but I never saw the appeal of that sort of thing.

Other than a rather insipid dance routine and trivializing Take Five, not much to say.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

You may be viewing this with a modern perspective.

This show aired in '63 or '64. The Beatles were in their early phase and hadn't even played America yet. Someone had the idea of taking an unusual jazz tune in 5/4 and having dancers in formal wear perform an odd (or insipid) version on a TV show aimed squarely at middle America.

To me, this is one of those "so bad, it's good" things.

I think it was rather good - its not so easy dancing in 5 - unless you are a Bulgarian or Macedonian folk dancer, and I thought there were some Balkan influences in some of the moves. Also it is fun to notice how they use their feet to keep the 5/4 rhythm going throughout the dance - using different patterns but almost always accenting the 4th and 5th beats with back-steps, dropping their heel or toward the end using a slide motion to bring the feet together.
    There is a hell of a lot more goes into this kind of stuff than what first might meet the eye. Its hard to make it look easy and iI think this was well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't find it all that weird, but I never saw the appeal of that sort of thing.
    other than being absolutely and totally kitsch you mean??

Aesthetically, this sort of this is almost an insult to the original work.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.